Hey everyone out there! Today I had an "X" axis problem and solved it very quickly. Just to let you all know, I will be adding this into my Preventive Maintenance (Monthly) program. OK, here it is: "X" axis fault. Opened up the electrical cabinet in the back of the machine. Smelled like granny over-cooked the copper kettle. You know that smell - burnt wiring or burnt circuit boards! Pulled the X amplifier out and found 1 of the screws from the steel "mocon/video card" cover shield had vibrated and fallen into the amp card. Man it fried a lot of things in there! We had been doing a lot of rough milling in the last few weeks, so it makes sense that the screw(s) would vibrate loose. Yes, they were all loose and 6 weeks ago I had checked these 4 screws to be sure that they were tight. Luckily, I had a spare part and was able to repair it quickly. Note: Before I installed the new amp card, I disabled the "X" axis and homed the "Y and Z" axis to prove that the Vector Drive had not fried also. After installing the new card, I tightened all of the screws in the electrical cabinet (and grounding screws), re-enabled the "X" axis and homed it out. We're back up and running. Again, I will be checking the screws as part of my PM on all of my VF machines. I hope this thread helps someone out there in the future.
Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
keep up the good work buddy