Ethernet/IP or Modbus/TCP control software for "External Motion Devices"

Thread: Ethernet/IP or Modbus/TCP control software for "External Motion Devices"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Ethernet/IP or Modbus/TCP control software for "External Motion Devices"

Hi Folks,

I'm curious about what PC software can be used to control, i.e. send down g-code, to several external motion devices (motors) that have their own individual TCP/IP addresses?

For example the Lexium Mdrive Ethernet/IP or Modbus TCP

Several of these motros can be connected to a ethernet hub, and a PC attached to the hub. Everything has it's own individual IP address.

Looking at tools like Mach3 I see it only connects to one TCP/IP "Master" address and expects all the axis to be driven from this one address.
    Is there anything similar that does an Axis per IP address?

Note Also the mdrives have a few I/O ports on the back. That could be connected to limit switches or other things. It'd be good to control this I/O also.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ethernet/IP or Modbus/TCP control software for "External Motion Devices"

Ok then
    Looks like it's nontrivial. Which most likely means that it's not a good way to go.
    I found some libs in python that I can probably use to set up the connections. I may give it a try.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ethernet/IP or Modbus/TCP control software for "External Motion Devices"

What makes you think an lexium drive is going to understand G-code?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really didn't mean only lexium mdrives, I'm seeing more motors with ethernet on them. just the concept in general around the smart motors connected via ethernet.

You're right, The mdrives only understand their mcode.
    http://motion.schneider-electric.com...uals/MCode.pdf

And I found an interesting blog on using C# to write an app to send mcode to an mdrive.
    w8isms: MDrive – Part 1 of 4

If I was to use Gcode it would need to be split to mcode for each axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

yup lots of crap out their with ethernet and depending on what you want to do with it can be quite usefull. But for CNC operations ethernet operated drives and or motors are no good, to much overhead in tcp/ip communications to have axis be coordinated. If its ethercat i't be a whole other story.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by raintalk View Post
    I really didn't mean only lexium mdrives, I'm seeing more motors with ethernet on them. just the concept in general around the smart motors connected via ethernet.

You're right, The mdrives only understand their mcode.
    http://motion.schneider-electric.com...uals/MCode.pdf

And I found an interesting blog on using C# to write an app to send mcode to an mdrive.
    w8isms: MDrive – Part 1 of 4

If I was to use Gcode it would need to be split to mcode for each axis.

This is incorrect. Mcode is an application layer on the drive that allows for customization of a number of parameters (actually a freakin ton of them!).
    http://motion.schneider-electric.com...mode=bookmarks

You interface with the MCode with an additional cable and software called IMS terminal. This is what makes these motors "Smart" is that they are nearly infinitely programmable. You can design all kinds of routines within the drive itself. It has I/O internally for home switches, limit switches, some have external encoder inputs. Within the Mcode you build subroutines on how to handle these I/O and additional error handling can be built in. Within the Mcode is how you set all the parameters as well, the steps per rev, Mdrives can microstep up to 51,200 steps/rev.

The lexium mdrives are particularly unique in that they are closed loop (unless you choose the open loop option). They are a true closed loop implementation of a stepper motor.

I use Mdrive plus2 motors at my work, they are some of the smoothest steppers there are.

What you would need for an ethernet input is some kind of converter that would convert the pulses from the breakout board to whatever the mdrive communicates with.

Or... you could purchase the Step/direction versions and plug it directly into the breakout board (and powered of course). You will need the communications cable to set parameters in the Mcode, and have a good understanding of these things to get them to work how you want.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    yup lots of crap out their with ethernet and depending on what you want to do with it can be quite usefull. But for CNC operations ethernet operated drives and or motors are no good, to much overhead in tcp/ip communications to have axis be coordinated. If its ethercat i't be a whole other story.
    The hardware limitations are based more on the fact that MAch3 and other off the shelf CNC solutions are designed very specifically around "ancient" technologies and interfaces.

Downloads
    Uploads

have you looked at linuxcnc? Someone had been playing with ethercat....

LinuxCNC :: Topic: Ethercat HAL driver (1/12)

there are also a few mesa ethernet interface card solutions..

sam