Macro for turret toolchanger needed for boxford TCL

Thread: Macro for turret toolchanger needed for boxford TCL

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Macro for turret toolchanger needed for boxford TCL

Hi,

I am just in the process of converting a TCL 240 ( larger version of 125 and 160 ).

I am led to beleive that there is the capability to get the tool turret to move under Mach3 control. I have step and direction pins and the new stepper driver ready to fit for this "axis".

There are for main positions for lathe tools with 4 "half" positions in between that are used for drill / boring tools. So indexing 45 deg each time moves from one tool to the next.

Having searched ( and probably incorrectly - boxford, mach 3, tool, turret etc ) I can't seem to find the answer on here, and my knowledge of Mach 3 is poor at best, although I have "played" with it on the small mill I have.

When testing the lathe under it's own steam prior to conversion it seems that the turret stepper moves forward past a stop, and reverses back to latch into place and stopping when the motor sounds like it stalls ? Does this sound reasonable ? I dont want to overload the drivers or the motor.

So, to my Q........... Is there a macro or some pre written code that will enable me to index the turret ?

Thanks to this great forum!

Rgds
    Keith

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I have written several of them on the Machsupport.com site, under forum.
    Others have also posted up code for various machines, take a look there, you will find what you need.

You will need to look at how your ATC is indexing its tool, i.e. there is a main Home switch for the turret, and/or it reads a "serial" indexing code per tool slot, etc.

is your turret single direction, meaning that it has a forward ratched, that goes past the tool index, then move back into position, a "Locking pawl" or something locks it then it stops rolling back. Also, if you have Stepper/servo control of the axis, you can measure the "Back Track" amount in degrees, and then just have it index backward that number of degrees to bring it into lock position.

I rarely check here, so if you have other questions, post them on the Support forum.

Scott

Commercial Mach3: Screens, Wizards, Plugins, Brains,PLCs, Macros, ATC's, machine design/build, retrofit, EMC2, Prototyping. http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerfablab/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent, thanks for the info. I have found the thread now

rgds
    Keith

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Macro for turret toolchanger needed for boxford TCL

Hi, new member to this forum and need information as below.
    I have just picked up a Boxford 240 TCL from the school i work in.
    I want to convert it to Mach3 which would include the Auto Toll Changer. I have converted a Boxford Mill before but no tool changer.

Is it possible you could put me in the right direction so i can get the ATC running.
    The lathe will use steppers and the ATC runs as you describe my husband has had it in bits and that is how it works.
    I am a novice so any help and information you or anyone can give can i ask that it is kept simple for me.
    Thanks for any responce.
    Best wishes to all,
    Cheryl

Downloads
    Uploads

Take a look at this it may be what your looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl262 View Post
    Hi, new member to this forum and need information as below.
    I have just picked up a Boxford 240 TCL from the school i work in.
    I want to convert it to Mach3 which would include the Auto Toll Changer. I have converted a Boxford Mill before but no tool changer.

Is it possible you could put me in the right direction so i can get the ATC running.
    The lathe will use steppers and the ATC runs as you describe my husband has had it in bits and that is how it works.
    I am a novice so any help and information you or anyone can give can i ask that it is kept simple for me.
    Thanks for any responce.
    Best wishes to all,
    Cheryl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaBear10 View Post
    Yes, I have written several of them on the Machsupport.com site, under forum.
    Others have also posted up code for various machines, take a look there, you will find what you need.

You will need to look at how your ATC is indexing its tool, i.e. there is a main Home switch for the turret, and/or it reads a "serial" indexing code per tool slot, etc.

is your turret single direction, meaning that it has a forward ratched, that goes past the tool index, then move back into position, a "Locking pawl" or something locks it then it stops rolling back. Also, if you have Stepper/servo control of the axis, you can measure the "Back Track" amount in degrees, and then just have it index backward that number of degrees to bring it into lock position.

I rarely check here, so if you have other questions, post them on the Support forum.

Scott
    Hi Scott, I know this thread is a million hears old but do you have a link to the macros you have posted on the Mack forum as I can't find anything. I have a Boxford 160 with a auto tool changer and TBH I don't know where to start!

thanks
    Jason