Thread: XYZ Probe modification

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the quick reply and info, Ernie, I really appreciate it-

Dave->..

Downloads
    Uploads

Default not yet implemented message

When I click on Auto Tool Zero iI get message Not Yet Implemented. I have enabled probe and using automated setup set it to port2 pin3.

Last edited by Art Ransom; 04-26-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

have you followed the instructons exactly in order?
    What machine are you running?
    give us more info.....

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

went back through step 3 and 4 and double checked. The machine I am using is a DIY indexer that can be seen at http://www.turningaround.org/4_axis_mill.htm. I am using Bob Campbel's controler, http://campbelldesigns.net/. and port 2 pin 3 because I amusing 5 steppers and all inputs on port 1 are used. Could using port 2 be a problem?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Art-

That's one monster machine you built! It looks like the Cambell breakout board only handles 1 parallel port. Did you plug the second parallel port into another breakout board or are you using it directly from the back of your computer? Are you using port 2 for any other functions? Did you put in the correct address for port 2 into Mach?

If you are using a second Cambell breakout board, it normally uses pin 3 for Y Step which is an output, not an input. You'll probably have to use X,Y,Z or Aux home on the Cambell board which correspond to pin 11,12, 13, 15 of the parallel port.

-Ernie

Downloads
    Uploads

Default re

I am using Campbell's aux i/o board for port 2 it actually drives the slave motor on x. When I set up probe I used the automated feature. Mach saw the pin I am using and posted it as port 2 pin 3.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Art-

What version of Mach are you using? The probe software requires Mach3.

-Ernie

Downloads
    Uploads

running 3.037.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Have My EStop and Touch Probe Too???

ErnieBro,

In your instructions you say:

"Step 1: Wire up a probe circuit.
    Open up your controller and attach one end of the wire to an available I/O pin. I used pin 15 on my HobbyCNC Pro board. You may also have to connect a 0.10uf capacitor between the wire and ground.
    "
    I am using a RF Isolated BOB made by ProBotix, and pin 15 is the E Stop connection. http://www.probotix.com/breakout_boa...reakout_board/

I think that in Mach 3 you define which pin is the EStop and when it is activated a number of things happen within Mach 3 to stop all the action.

If I use pin 15 as you describe I don't think I can also define it as an EStop, or could I do both?

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Art-

When you touch your probe wire to ground does the TOUCH TEST led on the MachBlue screen light up? Other than that I'm out of ideas with the info you've provided so far....

-Ernie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mr. Chips-

You need to find an unused input line for the probe. If you aren't using an estop on your machine, I would think you could use pin 15- just make sure you don't have both the probe and EStop signals assigned to the same pin in Mach.

It looks like pin 15 on your BOB is not opto isolated and the other input pins (10-X,11-Y,12-Z,13-A) are. You may have to run a ground wire to your spindle/router if you use the opto isolated inputs.

Mach only allows pins 10-13 and 15 to be inputs so you have to choose from that list for the probe wire.

-Ernie

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by erniebro View Post
    Mr. Chips-

You need to find an unused input line for the probe. If you aren't using an estop on your machine, I would think you could use pin 15- just make sure you don't have both the probe and EStop signals assigned to the same pin in Mach.

It looks like pin 15 on your BOB is not opto isolated and the other input pins (10-X,11-Y,12-Z,13-A) are. You may have to run a ground wire to your spindle/router if you use the opto isolated inputs.

Mach only allows pins 10-13 and 15 to be inputs so you have to choose from that list for the probe wire.

-Ernie

I am using a Estop on 15 but I am only running 3 axis so I can use 13 for the probe. Thanks for showing the input signal screen. I just need to substitute 13 for 15 in your Code to use your neat utility.

So I can have my EStop and probe too. That's good news :rainfro:

Thanks Ernie

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Is this assumption correct?

Ernie,

I looked at your code and I don't think you call out pin 15. It least It was not obvious to me.

So if I assign Probe to Pin No 13 active Low it will work just fine and I don't have to change any code as I thought I would have to in my last post.

Is this assumption correct?

Thanks

Last edited by Mr.Chips; 04-27-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Correction

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mr. Chips-

You don't have to modify my code. The code does it's magic by calling the gcode probing function- G31. No hard coded pin assignments anywhere in my code.

Mach3 takes care of associating a pin with a function through the input pins setup page of the Ports and Pins dialog. All the higher level coding just refers to Probe by name, not pin number. Pretty nice that way.

-Ernie

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by erniebro View Post
    Mr. Chips-

You don't have to modify my code. The code does it's magic by calling the gcode probing function- G31. No hard coded pin assignments anywhere in my code.

Mach3 takes care of associating a pin with a function through the input pins setup page of the Ports and Pins dialog. All the higher level coding just refers to Probe by name, not pin number. Pretty nice that way.

-Ernie
    Ahhhh The High Level KISS principal is at work here.

As soon as my new flange bearings arrive I'll be using this. I have already downloaded the Blue Screen and you modifications.

Thanks Ernie.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't taken the time to read all the posts, but it looks good so far. I have the new screen loaded.

A question, I just got a touch probe working for digitizing objects. It is a NC touch probe with one wire connected to an input pin and another wire connected to gnd. Does anyone have an idea how this might work with erniebro's setup? I think both use G31, but the wiring is a little different. Haven't had time to mess with it yet. The digitizing TP has an audio connector, maybe all I need to do is use the same connector and only make the one connection to the input pin for this probe and have both connections for the digitizing probe.

Monte

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Monte-

I think it should work. You can do a quick test by seeing if the TOUCH TEST led on the MachBlue screen turns on when you touch your probe wire to the spindle/router.

-Ernie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default index probe plate

Here is the probe plate I'm using to set up coordinates for my various fixtures. It has a 1/4" steel pin in the center instead of a scribed cross hair. When I fabricate new fixtures, I drill a hole at a known position (typically 0,0 or 1,1- something easy to remember). Then when I want to re-establish the coordinates for the fixture, I insert the probe plate in the hole and run the center locating button function from the MachBlue probe panel. It leaves the mill centered over the hole and I enter the fixture coordinate position in the X and Y DRO's.

Works great!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XYZ Probe modification-indexingprobe-jpg   XYZ Probe modification-indexingprobebottom-jpg  
    Last edited by erniebro; 05-04-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

[QUOTE=erniebro;447772]Here is the probe plate I'm using to set up coordinates for my various fixtures. It has a 1/4" steel pin in the center instead of a scribed cross hair. When I fabricate new fixtures, I drill a hole at a know position (typically 0,0 or 1,1- something easy to remember). Then when I want to re-establish the coordinates for the fixture, I insert the probe plate in the hole and run the center locating button function from the MachBlue probe panel. It leaves the mill centered over the hole and I enter the fixture coordinate position in the X and Y DRO's.

Works great!
    QUOTE]

That is a really good idea for fixture cutting.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thank's everybody
    that's a good work...
    go ahead

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast