XYZ Probe modification - Page 12

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: XYZ Probe modification

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

James I have the same problem with the screen that you had , could you post how you fix it, tried every thing I could think of thanks for the help.
    GaryB.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Adamj12b View Post
    I would love to share. Here you go: http://www.adambrunette.com/Silver_Screen.zip

It took a few hours copying the buttons from the blue version to the silver and making it look right, But I think it was worth it. You will need to edit the scripts for the buttons to increase the federates. I've slowed them way down for use on my mill. Enjoy.

-Adam

Thank you very much.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What to do?

Most of the times when I activate z-zero routine the following action is executed: normal pause time- then suddenly instead of moving towards the touchplate the spindle moves (fast) upwards (away) from the touchplate to the safe z height from the tool origanal position. the same action is with the XY center
    Do i need to enter the dimention/ thickness of the touchplate(Gauge Block) at the OFFSET screen in Mach 3.

Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB. View Post
    James I have the same problem with the screen that you had , could you post how you fix it, tried every thing I could think of thanks for the help.
    GaryB.
    OK! I am a moron!!! Some how I did not get the set file and did not under stand the directions. I am pleased to say that the screen is now in proper opperation!! I will try funtionality later on. Thank you all.
    I hope this is what you are asking. Not being a computer god like some of the other guys around here I miss read the directions and totaly missed the set. file. If this is not applyed properly it will not work. Read through the directions again. Thats how I figured out my mistake. Works great now!!!!! James

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you James, Will read and do again
    Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

I made a new screenset today for Mach 3 that is the standard 1024 screenset
    but with the Offset page expanded to include my Tool Probing buttons and DRO's.
    It has the same
    Auto Z Setting w/wo Touch Plate
    Auto Edge Finding (X and Y)
    Auto Corner Finding
    Auto Center Finding with DRO Output
    Auto OD Finding with DRO Output

You can download the zip here that includes the Hoss1024probing.set screenset,
    bitmaps that go in the Mach3/Bitmaps/MillBitmaps folder,
    the HossProbeCodesUpdate.zip that contains the text files with the button codes (they are already installed in the screenset)
    and the hoss probing screenset.jpg preview.
    Hoss

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XYZ Probe modification-hoss-probing-screenset_787x600-jpg  
    Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Having a problem with my Blue screen auto center utility

It is connected to port 1, pin 10. Pin 10 had 5.0V on it and it is activated.

If I click any of the directions button on the auto center section it drives slowly in that direction until I click the Stop button.

If I take a wire and bridge it between GND and pin 10 on the BOB the probe test light doesn’t light. So that eliminates wiring from BOB to probe ends.

At one time it was working fine.

OK what’s the next step in troubleshooting?

Hager

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    I made a new screenset today for Mach 3 that is the standard 1024 screenset
    but with the Offset page expanded to include my Tool Probing buttons and DRO's.
    It has the same
    Auto Z Setting w/wo Touch Plate
    Auto Edge Finding (X and Y)
    Auto Corner Finding
    Auto Center Finding with DRO Output
    Auto OD Finding with DRO Output

You can download the zip here that includes the Hoss1024probing.set screenset,
    bitmaps that go in the Mach3/Bitmaps/MillBitmaps folder,
    the HossProbeCodesUpdate.zip that contains the text files with the button codes (they are already installed in the screenset)
    and the hoss probing screenset.jpg preview.
    Hoss
    Hoss,

That is a super screen.
    I downloaded it and installed it on my CNC PC, all the functions work except the sensor touch. I have 5V on pin 10, but even if I jump pin 10 to the BOB GND I don't get a Led light.

If I make it Active High, the scn led lights. But it should be set to active low.

I attached a scn shot of my setup, any ideas?
    Thanks
    Hager

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XYZ Probe modification-hoss-config-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    Hoss,

That is a super screen.
    I downloaded it and installed it on my CNC PC, all the functions work except the sensor touch. I have 5V on pin 10, but even if I jump pin 10 to the BOB GND I don't get a Led light.

If I make it Active High, the scn led lights. But it should be set to active low.

I attached a scn shot of my setup, any ideas?
    Thanks
    Hager
    I think you should first pull your pin low by installing a 2.2k resistor between it and ground.

Then, when you touch your probe, the LED should go on.

I did that on my C10 BOB board.

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by hlombard View Post
    I think you should first pull your pin low by installing a 2.2k resistor between it and ground.

Then, when you touch your probe, the LED should go on.

I did that on my C10 BOB board.

Good luck!
    I added a 2.2K resistor as shown in the below drawing, and it still does not light when I touch the wires together. This was done with Pin 10 set as active LOW, this is correct isn't it?

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XYZ Probe modification-2-2k-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help....

I installed the updates to Mach3 and setup my probe. This is on a hobbyCNC pro board. After some playing I touch the ref plate to my tool tip and the test probe light comes on. I try ref Z and it seemed to work. Did this a few times and all was well, but my Z retract ammount was very inconsistent. From .25 to .75 inches. I believe the script is trying to set it at .25 or around there.
    I decided to make a cut that required tool changes. This was a great time to test out the probe. Once the first tool path completed I stopped the router, changed the bit and hit ref Z. The router came down, touched the pad and proceeded to try to drive the tool into the table. I wasn't sure what the problem was so I reset everything and tried a few more times. Everything seemed to work again. This happened one more time. I thought maybe I needed a Cap on the input line.
    The next day I added the cap and tried out the ref Z while in the air, just incase something happened. Everything worked great the first few times, so we set the plate on a piece of 2" foam so it had a little give to it. Well as soon as I did this I had the same problem, bit gets jammed into the plate. While doing this I can see the light come on, sensing the probe touch, I'm not sure if the problem is in the first redrive to correct for over shot, or the last positioning call. And I think it has something to where my Z DRO is before I run the ref Z.
    I've looked through a lot of posts on this and I've seen others report this, does anyone know whats going on? I'd hate to ruin another $20 bit.

Thanks Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

G'day Bob

Sound to me like your zeroing script is not quite right.

Want to post it here so we can have a look?

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default script.

Good morning Greg,

This is the script I'm using. I believe this is the same one I'm having problems with. This was copied from my home computer, and the problem is on the shop computer, but I believe I just copied this to a CD and installed it on the shop, so they should be the same. I'm going to check on this tonight. One other note it looks like the versions of Mach3 I'm running are different. The home computer is version 03.042.020, not sure about the shop.

Thanks Bob

PS this is the script I downloaded from this thread. It could be downlevel.

Rem VBScript to probe in the z axis

If GetOemLed (825) <> 0 Then 'Check to see if the probe is already grounded or faulty
    Code "(Z-Plate is grounded, check connection and try again)" 'this goes in the status bar if aplicable
    Else
    Code "G4 P1" 'Pause 1 seconds to give time to position probe plate
    PlateOffset = GetUserDRO(1151) 'Get plate offset DRO
    CurrentFeed = GetOemDRO(818) 'Get the current feedrate to return to later
    Code "F4" 'slow down feedrate to 4 ipm

Rem Probe in the z direction
    ZNew = GetDro(2) - 2 'probe move to current z - 2 inches
    Code "G31Z" &ZNew
    While IsMoving() 'wait for probe move to finish
    Wend

ZNew = GetVar(2002) 'read the touch point
    Code "G0 Z" &ZNew 'move back to hit point incase there was overshoot
    While IsMoving ()
    Wend

If PlateOffset <> 0 Then
    Call SetDro (2, PlateOffset) 'set the Z axis DRO to plate thickness
    Code "G4 P0.25" 'Pause for Dro to update.
    ZNew = PlateOffset + .25
    Code "G0 Z" &ZNew 'put the Z retract height you want here
    Code "(Z axis is now zeroed)" 'puts this message in the status bar
    End If

Code "F" &CurrentFeed 'Returns to prior feed rate
    End If

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ground your machine

That looks right.

Is you machine grounded? I spend hours before I realized the machine wasn't plugged in (therefor not grounded)

I'll check tonight about the active low.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hlombord,
    If your asking "Is the router grounded" the answer is, it was not grounded very good through the plug, so I installed a ground from my control board to the router. The probe touch light come on consistently. I'm going to try a few more tests tonight and see if I can't narrow this down. I might try to single step through the script, if I can figure out how.

Thanks Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Chilly2k

It appears to me that there is a problem with the script which might be catching people out in certain circumstances.

There is no provision for if you are in G91 incremental mode. This is a modal command. So it stays in effect until you change it.

So if you happened to be in G91 then the probe move could set off in a direction you are not expecting. That is something I try to avoid in CNC. I don't like those sort of surprises.

Code "G31Z" &ZNew
    Wend

Change this section to,

DoOEMButton (1010)
    Code "G4 P 0.2"
    Code "G31 Z-1 F4"
    While IsMoving()
    Wend

This way it matters not which mode you are in.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greg,

You may be on to something. I played around with this again last night. The script seems to work fine up to this point.

If PlateOffset <> 0 Then
    ZNew = PlateOffset + .25
    End If

End If

It's during this reposition that the machine seems to take off. I couldn't get it to fail last night. (And it could be that I didn't run a program causing it to be in incremental mode). One thing I did notice is even with this line in

The machine retracts to some random value. I thought this should always be .375 which is .125 (PlateOffset) +.25 At the end of the run my Z DRO should be .375 But it's all over the place. One time .478 the next .854 etc.

I've been a programmer for 24 years, so I know that there are things that can happen that are not easily documented. This is my first foray into Gcode, so that should help explain where my next question is coming from.

In Mach3 does the DRO represent the current position? Or is that keep somewhere else. I'm not sure how making the change you suggested would correct the problem.

Code "G31Z" &ZNew
    Wend

Change this section to,

DoOEMButton (1010)
    Code "G4 P 0.2"
    Code "G31 Z-1 F4"
    While IsMoving()
    Wend

Never mind I see it now.

I set up a test Gcode file to set G91. Then move Z to a neg value. The actual "Bad code" it the overshoot code.

ZNew = GetVar(2002) 'read the touch point
    Code "G0 Z" &ZNew 'move back to hit point incase there was overshoot
    While IsMoving ()
    Wend

If the touch point is lets say -2. The "G0 Z-2" in incremental mode trys to send the bit 2 inchs (in my case) into the work. And if the touch point is + it raises the Zaxis that distance.

I can see now why my ending Z DRO is not always .375.

If PlateOffset <> 0 Then
    ZNew = PlateOffset + .25
    End If

First we set the Z DRO to .125
    Wait .25 seconds
    Znew is set to .125 + .25 or .375
    Now we move the z axis up .375. Not to .375 So .125 + .375 = .500

While simulating this it's always ending up .500. On the real machine it's all over the place.

Is there a way to query the coordinate state (incremental Vs absolute)? You could then save that set to absolute (G90) run the script and reset.
    Worst case, I may just add the G90 to the front of the script. So far, and I'm just starting, I don't do tool changes in the middle of a program run. So setting it to absolute mode should not cause a problem.

Which ever solution I use will have to be applied to all of the scripts in the probe section.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chilly2k View Post
    I'm not sure how making the change you suggested would correct the problem.
    I am not saying that will fix your problem. What I meant is that if you happened to be in G91 and Z was at greater than 2" then you would get a G31 in the wrong direction.

From what you and a few other posters were describing I thought you may be running into that issue.

You could include a G90 but then it should be retuned to original state at the end. Far simpler to just use DoOEMButton (1010) That zeros the Z DRO and so covers either state.

Here is one that I and many others use every day,

CurrentFeed = GetOemDRO(818) 'Get the current feedrate to return to later
    PlateThickness = GetUserDRO(1151) 'Z-plate thickness DRO

If GetOemLed (825)=0 Then 'Check to see if the probe is already grounded or faulty
    DoOEMButton (1010) 'zero the Z axis so the probe move will start from here
    Code "G4 P2" ' this delay gives me time to get from computer to hold probe in place
    Code "G31Z-1 F4" 'probing move, can set the feed rate here as well as how far to move
    While IsMoving() 'wait while it happens
    Wend
    ZProbePos = GetVar(2002) 'get the axact point the probe was hit
    Code "G0 Z" &ZProbePos 'go back to that point, always a very small amount of overrun
    While IsMoving ()
    Wend
    Call SetDro (2, PlateThickness) 'set the Z axis DRO to whatever is set as plate thickness
    Code "G0 Z1" 'put the Z retract height you want here

Else
    Code "(Z-Plate is grounded, check connection and try again)" 'this goes in the status bar if aplicable
    Exit Sub
    End If

As you well know if you ask ten people to write code to do a simple task like this you will get ten different codes. Does not make one right and others wrong.

However I do think that G90 G91 issues should be covered.

By the way I did not write this one, I just modified someone else's till I liked it.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greg,

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, After looking at the G-code lazycam is generating I believe I'm a victim of a G91 setting. I only question this section of code.

DoOEMButton (1010) 'zero the Z axis so the probe move will start from here
    Code "G4 P2" ' this delay gives me time to get from computer to hold probe in place
    Code "G31Z-1 F4" 'probing move, can set the feed rate here as well as how far to move
    While IsMoving() 'wait while it happens
    Wend
    ZProbePos = GetVar(2002) 'get the axact point the probe was hit
    Code "G0 Z" &ZProbePos 'go back to that point, always a very small amount of overrun
    While IsMoving ()
    Wend

If you assume we're in incremental mode, we
    Rest the dro to zero.
    pause
    goto 0-1 at a speed of 4 until the probe is hit.
    get position Lets say it's -.50 with no overshoot
    goto current position+probe position. <--- This is the question Won't this now goto -1 Current position -.5 +probe position -.5?
    wait for the move to finish

Won't this still be a problem?

Thanks Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

No if you look at the code it is more like this,

Reset the dro to zero.
    pause
    goto 0-1 at a speed of 4 until the probe is hit.
    get the variable and return to it 'this variable is where it hit the plate
    set the DRO to plate thickness ' variable is now forgotten
    go to retract height

Greg

Last edited by Greolt; 03-05-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast