Need Help! New Mach3 & DC Servo installation

Thread: New Mach3 & DC Servo installation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Mach3 & DC Servo installation

Hey Guys,

I've been working on converting a milling machine for years and I'm finally getting around to the electronics side. I have a test setup in my living room right now just trying to see if I can get a motor to turn. As far as I can tell, there is a problem somewhere between my computer/Mach3 and my Servo driver.

My gear:
    Older computer with a parallel port (Older but still MORE than capable of driving mach3 at max speed)
    Mach3, Latest version
    C10 rev.10 breakout board from Kelling CNC (or the company formally known as Kelling CNC)
    320X Gecko drives
    72v 20A transformer from Kelling
    KL34-180-90 DC Servo Motors from Kelling
    amt102-V - Rotary Servo Encoder from Kelling
    5v/12v power supply from the interwebs

So I've been following the instruction manuals for the Gecko drives, breakout board and encoders. AKAIK, everything is set up correctly.

Encoders:
    I followed the instructions in the gecko drive manual and set my encoder up at 512 pulses per revolution. I tested the encoder as per the manual and everything looks good.

Gecko Drives:
    The Gecko drive is set up according to the manual which basically means all of the pin switches are in their default locations and all pots are in the "11 o'clock position". All connections are set up correctly.

Breakout Board:
    Power light is on and, before hooking it up to the power supply the power light was on just from hooking it up to the computer. Input/Output jumper is set so pins 2-9 are outputs. Com pin jumper is set to +5v. High/Low jumper is set to hold pins low. The En port is wired up with the +5v main power so the board is engaged. Only thing I'm not sure about whether or not the input pins 10 and 12 for Estop and Limit switches are supposed to be NO or NC for the system to run... I disabled the e-stop in Mach3 to eliminate a source of error. I see no results regardless of whether or not the limit switch is NO or NC.

Computer:
    The LPT1 (parallel port) is enabled in the bios and appears to be working correctly in windows (reports the normal hardware address of 378).

Mach3:
    I've configured Mach3 to the best of my ability according to the little setup manual on the old Kelling website http://www.kelinginc.net/Mach3setup.pdf. Their motor setup seems to be gunning for stepper motors so I set mine at 2600 steps per (see below). From here I went into the Diagnostics and attempted to use the frequency generator to generate 40 steps per second and ran the reversal at 2 seconds. Above I could see the x axis numbers bouncing around as expected but I see no change in the lights on the servo drive. The output pins are set up correctly in Mach and on the board as pin2 step and pin3 direction.

5mm pitch ball screws so 5/25.4 = 0.197" per revolution --> 1/0.197 = 5.08 revolutions per inch --> 5.08*512steps/rev = 2600.96 steps per inch.

What am I missing here, gents?