Need Help! Different Steps per for the same stepper motor between MachTurn and MAchMill

Thread: Different Steps per for the same stepper motor between MachTurn and MAchMill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Different Steps per for the same stepper motor between MachTurn and MAchMill

Hi all

I have built a combo Lathe/Milling CNC and use the same controller and steppers for two of my Axes. In Machturn my X axis is configured to 990 steps per unit length (mm). In my MachMill, this very same motor serves (through the same controller, wiring etc.) the Y axis but the steps per unit (mm) are 480! How can this be? The number of steps per unit of MachMill X is not even half that of MachTurn Y! What am I missing?

By the way:
    1. the steps per unit (mm) for the Machturn Z axis match exactly (as would be expected) those of MachMill X axis.
    2. I have measured both values accurately at 100mm and 130mm runs on both systems. Runs were repeatable both back and fro in both systems (so no apparent loss of stepping)!
    3. The motor drives the axis shaft through a 3:1 gearbox (if you were wondering about the funny step per unit values)