Motors don't run smoothly Configuration problem?

Thread: Motors don't run smoothly Configuration problem?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Motors don't run smoothly Configuration problem?

Hi.
    I hope someone can help. I got a Gecko 540, followed the instructions on it and set it up. The motors do turn, and are pretty strong.

I've done the following: tried tuning the motors
    tried changing the settings on the Kernel.
    tried resetting the computer
    changed the parallel port on Bios to the correct setting
    played around with the speed
    looked for troubleshooting tips on the Gecko website

Here's something interesting. There is sort of a pattern to the stuttering. It's like a da da da da da duuuuuu da da da da da duuuuu.

Yeah that sounds funny, but it seems like there might be an issue with Windows interrupting Mach 3. I've tried running both x and y axis at the same time, and they both have the same stutter pattern.

This suggests that it's not a mechanical binding issue, because the machine is very straight.

I'm using some Chinese motors 23HS8610
    Using a 24 VDC power supply
    Windows XP on a 1.76 GHz machine with 448 MB of Ram
    Gecko G540

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Motors don't run smoothly Configuration problem?

Run Drivertest.exe in the Mach3 folder and see if you get a flat line, with a stable pulse rate. If not, then something in Windows is causing the problem.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Ger21.

I ran DriverTest.exe and it indicated there is too much time between pulses. (Too many useless and worthless background processes running).

I bought this machine used and the previous owner had some stuff I don't need on it, like Weather report, WifiSvc (Wifi service) and Wscntfy, a windows security notify.

I think I have two options: Get rid of the useless stuff, which is kind of difficult because the WSCNTFY likes to re-load itself, or to used SAFE MODE.

Unfortunately, using SAFEMODE doesn't work, because you have to restart the computer in normal mode, and then all the other junk reloads itself all over.

Any thoughts from anyone on this?

The good side of all this is that I know what's wrong, at least.

Any tips from anyone on how to prevent pesky software from running? (Just a simple delete of the file doesn't work, it just reloads in a second).

Googling this is my next option, but maybe someone knows a better way.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well...
    Deleting all sorts of things running on Task Manager would take a long time, and it's not easy because some of the stuff is persistent.

The other option is to run on Safe mode and then reload the necessary parallel port driver. Unfortunately, when I enable the driver, it has to re-start windows in normal mode, thus negating a Safe-mode with parallel port driver.

This kind of sucks, because Mach3 is supposed to overcome the multi-tasking of the Windows OS and make it a single-tasker focusing only on Mach3 drivers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think Mach3 will run in Safe Mode.
    Ideally, you'd reformat the hard drive and re-install Windows.
    Otherwise, I'd use Add/Remove programs and just uninstall everything.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, after trying just about everything under the sun.

Here's what I tried, attempted and it didn't work:

I went to: Control Panel>>Drivers to try to set the interrupt precedent of the Mach3 driver as high as possible. I couldn't really find any place to make such an adjustment, but if someone has an idea where I can do that, I'm all ears.

Then I tried to start in safe mode, so that as few programs are running as possible, and then enable the Mach3 driver. Unfortunately if you do that, you end up with having to re-start the computer in normal mode, and then all the other resource-hogging programs will be running too. So that was a dead-end. You can't do safe mode with Mach3 driver, or can you?

Then I figured I'd do a reset of the XP to factory settings. This requires a "hidden partition" After quite a bit of looking, I came to the conclusion there is no extra partition on the hard drive where the extra copy of Windows XP would sit, so that wasn't even available. As a side note, my copy of WinXP only allowed me to restore to the day before. Well, I needed a restore point that went back to the day WinXP was installed. The day before didn't help me at all.

I also followed some internet advice to find "i386" folder on my computer and that "winnt32.exe" would be there.
    No it wasn't. I thought this might be a problem with me not having Administrator Rights. I thought this, because when I hit F2 and went into Safe Mode, it gave me two options, to be a "User" or "Administrator". As it turns out, even if you are an administrator as a default user, it still makes you use a password to get into that Administrator account. What I'm saying is that there are apparently two types of Administrator accounts on Win XP. One if you start your computer normally, and another if you use Safe Mode.

So, I went down a dead-end road looking for that mysterious partition, that I figured Windows was hiding from everyone. It wasn't there.

I finally decided to get another copy of Win XP. Well, the big problem with that is this is a used machine, and there was no Product Key sticker on it. Well, fortunately the internet came to the rescue, and Belarc.com has a piece of software that recovers the Product Key for almost any computer. So, armed with a product key, I went on Craigslist and found a copy of WinXP for Dell computers. I bought it for $20, and did a fresh reload of Windows XP, hoping that whatever junk was on the compter making it slow would be gone.

Well, the Hindu guy with a turban on from Canton, MI sold me a decent copy of Windows XP, and it worked fine.
    TBH, I wasn't sure if I got taken for $20, but when I got home, XP loaded just fine even though it was meant fo Dell computers only.

So, boy was I excited to try to get Mach3 working on this computer.

NO DICE.

When I run "DriverTest.exe" I get some points on the chart that are way off. It does this, despite being a fresh copy of Windows. I see there is something of a pattern to it, and so of course Windows is doing something in the background that it feels necessary to do. Well, at this point I'm a bit disappointed in Mach3 because it should be able to run on a machine with a fresh copy of Windows XP.

I noticed, btw that when I use the mouse, the pattern of lines on the screen changes. This is the interrupt for the mouse taking up some of Window's time, and that gets reflected on the "DriverTest" chart.

So, at this point, I really don't want to pump too much more money into another used XP hoping that it will work with Mach3. What I'd like to hear is some more advice if someone can give it. Mach3 is supposed to overcome Windows behaving like a NON-real-time-operating-system. But for whatever reason, on this computer, with this copy of Win XP, it is not letting Mach3 dominate the timing of the computer.

So is there some way I can change the settings so that the Mach3 driver opens up in Safe Mode?

I've only got Mach3 on this computer, so there isn't anything else that could be making it run slow.

Some sort of background process is making it run slow. Any ideas on how I can give Mach3 the highest interrupt priority?

There are thousands of Mach3 copies on XP running just fine. What could I be doing wrong?

For some strange reason, it operates just fine for the first 30 seconds of turning on the computer. Well, it did at least a few times. I only mention this because this might help someone troubleshooting the system.

Is there any way of finding out what process is responsible for the big blips on the "DriverTeste.exe" screen? If I could shut that down, that'd be great.

As a side note, the XP computer doesn't have any access to the internet, so I don't think it's the Wifi driver or anything taking up time.

Basically:
    I loaded a fresh copy of XP
    Loaded a copy of Mach3
    Changed the motor output pins on configure
    Ran "DriverTest" and it never was stable, and the blips changed around when I moved the mouse.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the tl;dr, but someone out there might have the same situation, and this might help them. Even telling people what doesn't work can help sometimes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re-install XP, but before you do, go into the Bios and set the computer to Standard mode rather than ACPI mode.
    That's what I have to do on my PC. There's a night and day difference.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Re-install XP, but before you do, go into the Bios and set the computer to Standard mode rather than ACPI mode.
    That's what I have to do on my PC. There's a night and day difference.
    Thanks a lot. That pointed me in the right direction. It wasn't anything I found in Bios, but there was a something I had to select as I was re-loading XP for the 2nd time:

0. Install Windows in Standard PC Mode

1. When you see the installation tell you to press F6 (Third Party
    SCSI or RAID Drivers) press F5 instead.
    2. You will see Press F2 for Automated System Recovery, (DONT press
    F2).
    3. Right after that you will see a list.
    4. Press the UP arrow key to highlight Standard PC.
    That was from another forum.https://www.probotix.com/downloads/XP_Optimization.txt

And, when I go into drivertest, the rate is a very steady 29258 give or take a few pulses.

I don't think I would have ever been able to figure this out on my own. I'd had to have read the entire PhoenixTechnologies Bios manual.

Thanks again Ger21.

I haven't made any chips yet, but did use a fine-tipped Sharpie to make 1/2 of a road runner, so all is real good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can I just add one thing: do NOT add extra SW to the machine unless you are very sure you know what you are doing.
    Mach3 severely distorts XP to get the real time response it needs. If other stuff keeps interrupting Mach3, bad things happen...

In this context, apart from Drivertest, which is excellent, Task Monitor is your friend. Watch the Performance window and make sure the CPU Usage level stays LOW. Task Monitor itself will not upset Mach3. It is always running on my machines (plural).

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help everyone.

I know this is an old thread, but the advice here was very valuable. I am running a ten-year-old PC with Windows 7 and "foolishly" thought I would improve it by adding a better video card, access to a printer, and a Logitech wireless keyboard. Mach 3 appeared to run fine, BUT the steppers got clunkier and clunkier.

Today the unnecessary video driver, printer driver, and keyboard software (and a few other things) were removed and I turned off a bunch of Windows 7 services - and everything is better. The CNC Router runs quieter and I can run it fast without dropping steps, etc,