Mach 3 upgrade....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mach 3 upgrade....

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach 3 upgrade....

-
    I fired up my system yesterday to do some work, everything booted up and the table worked great.
    i decided to upgrade to Mach 3, went through the whole setup, rebooted, ocx test looked great, set up my ports and pins per the soundlogix B/O board......went to tune my motors...nothing.
    Checked jog settings ...everything good there....the breakout board LEDs for the dir and step showed no activity, (the step usually dims when jogging).
    So after going back and rechecking everything I decided that the upgrade was not for me....went back and booted up Mach 2 and now it has the same thing...no activity on the dir / step LEDs and the charge pump (pin 17) will not fire the scr (output 4) to turn on my drives.
    After I pulled all my hair out, I loaded Mach 2 on my laptop and connected it to the breakout board, with a NEW profile everything worked like it was supposed to. So, there is something haywire with my computer but I can't figure it out. I uninstalled Mach 3 and Mach 2 and then reinstalled Mach 2 using my old XML profile. Same results.
    My question is this...
    could the old profile for Mach 2 have gotton corrupted somehow?
    I have a few Pentium boards laying around, so i was about to swap the computer board out, but I thought i would ask the experts there opinion on this problem first.
    Any ideals what went wrong?
    Thanks
    Chuck

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by CRFultz; 04-01-2006 at 10:00 AM.
    Aspire, VCPro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D, Mach3, Home built CnC.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

I guess i kinda answered my own question....I deleated my profile from the mach dir...and made a new one ..same thing...no charge pump when i hit reset...guess my motherboard as gone south

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Something else...I just booted it up again and I got a screen saying that "overclocking has failed...press F2 to load default".
    First time I ever saw that one...didn't know my asus board was overclocked to begin with.....the board is a year old so it's time was probably up.....only question now is do I upgrade to Mach 3?

Downloads
    Uploads

The settup is differenent between Mach2 and Mach3, so you can't just transfer the settings. And Mach3 has a lot more features.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

another fast thought is if it was showing change to your bios for the overclock did it change the setting for your port

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    The settup is differenent between Mach2 and Mach3, so you can't just transfer the settings. And Mach3 has a lot more features.
    Hey Gerry,
    naw..when i tried the mach 3 it was with a whole new profile / setup...I used the xml file from Bob's website so i don't think that was a issue...
    Chuck

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by strat
    another fast thought is if it was showing change to your bios for the overclock did it change the setting for your port
    I'm gonna go check....what should I look for?...I've never made any changes in the setup so I'm not sure what it should be...any ideals? It's a ASUS p4

Downloads
    Uploads

Following Strat's train of thought, maybe the (usually lithium coin cell) battery on the motherboard that enables your BIOS settings to be maintained when the PC is unplugged has died. Make sure it is seated properly if it is in a battery holder. You may want to purchase a new one and try it before going to the bother of replacing the motherboard. It's cheaper and less work. Either way your BIOS settings will have to be set back to their original values (drives, ports, clock speed, etc.).

Some coin cell batteries are actually soldered to the motherboard. Depending on how brave you are, you probably wouldn't want to fool around replacing the battery on this type. You would have to pull the MB anyway, and if you're going to do that you might as well put in another board. You wanted to upgrade your system anyway, right?

Rotsa Ruck,

HayTay

HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Downloads
    Uploads

get into your bios not real sure what the asus has in it but once in look for something with integrated peripherals or such you should see something for the onboard par. port and something for the mode make sure the port addy is set to the one you want to use and then try the different mode settings i usally get by with the combo setting some have had probs withthat so thats just kinda try and see which work i use the combo myself ecp+epp

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

In setup I found a setting for parallel port...it shows a address of 378.
    Parallel port mode is normal
    ...should this be ...bi-dir
    or EPP
    or ECP
    parallel port IRQ is IRQ7

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

get into your bios not real sure what the asus has in it but once in look for something with integrated peripherals or such you should see something for the onboard par. port and something for the mode make sure the port addy is set to the one you want to use and then try the different mode settings i usally get by with the combo setting some have had probs withthat so thats just kinda try and see which work i use the combo myself ecp+epp
    it will only let me choose one

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay
    Following Strat's train of thought, maybe the (usually lithium coin cell) battery on the motherboard that enables your BIOS settings to be maintained when the PC is unplugged has died. Make sure it is seated properly if it is in a battery holder. You may want to purchase a new one and try it before going to the bother of replacing the motherboard. It's cheaper and less work. Either way your BIOS settings will have to be set back to their original values (drives, ports, clock speed, etc.).

Some coin cell batteries are actually soldered to the motherboard. Depending on how brave you are, you probably wouldn't want to fool around replacing the battery on this type. You would have to pull the MB anyway, and if you're going to do that you might as well put in another board. You wanted to upgrade your system anyway, right?

Rotsa Ruck,

HayTay
    checked it with a meter....show's 3vdc...
    if the board is ok...i would rather keep using it....its a 2.8 and the others are 2.2...not that it matters that much...

Downloads
    Uploads

try the bi -dir first your sending signals out for control and getting signals back for limits and such if thats no good go with the epp ecp

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

try the bi -dir first your sending signals out for control and getting signals back for limits and such if thats no good go with the epp ecp
    Ok...I'll give it a shot...
    Naw.....
    same thing with all 4 choices.....
    the parallel port has got to be fried

Downloads
    Uploads

Ditto, try the bi-dir setting first.

On another note, are you sure you don't have a virus? Also, just checking, did you use the same cable with the PC as you did with the laptop? Another thing, you didn't install another piece of software or printer around the same time, did you? Almost all of the newer printers/printer drivers come with a status monitor that runs in the background that wreaks all kinds of havok (PC won't shut down, PC runs slower, unable to connect other devices to the monitored port, etc.).

HayTay

HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Downloads
    Uploads

one other thought is do you have a par port pci card????? you might still be able to use that mb unless you just gotta have a new one ... should be able to get a port card cheap i think i paid like $10 for mine and you disable the port on the mb also if you go this route try to make sure you can set the addy with jumpers have seen some that are plug and pray that throw wierd addys out

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay
    Ditto, try the bi-dir setting first.

On another note, are you sure you don't have a virus? Also, just checking, did you use the same cable with the PC as you did with the laptop? Another thing, you didn't install another piece of software or printer around the same time, did you? Almost all of the newer printers/printer drivers come with a status monitor that runs in the background that wreaks all kinds of havok (PC won't shut down, PC runs slower, unable to connect other devices to the monitored port, etc.).

HayTay
    This only has mach2 on it..no network, internet or any other thing for that matter....it's mounted inside the cnc cabinet and not hooked to anything else.....the same cable was used with my laptop...it's the 6 inch ribbon cable that comes with the breakout board....
    Thanks for ya's help...I'm gonna change out the board and see what happens.
    Chuck

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CRFultz
    Hey Gerry,
    naw..when i tried the mach 3 it was with a whole new profile / setup...I used the xml file from Bob's website so i don't think that was a issue...
    Chuck
    What I meant was, if you're starting with Mach2, and decide to upgrade later to Mach3, you'll have to retune your motors, because the .xml's are different. The only benefit that I see to using Mach2, is that it *may* run better on slower PC's. If your PC is 1Ghz or faster, why bother with Mach2.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

one other thought is do you have a par port pci card????? you might still be able to use that mb unless you just gotta have a new one ... should be able to get a port card cheap i think i paid like $10 for mine and you disable the port on the mb also if you go this route try to make sure you can set the addy with jumpers have seen some that are plug and pray that throw wierd addys out
    thats a ideal....ill keep the board cuz everything else seems to work ok...i don't have a pci board right now put I'll pick one up later and test it with a printer to see if it works that way...thanks!
    Chuck

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    What I meant was, if you're starting with Mach2, and decide to upgrade later to Mach3, you'll have to retune your motors, because the .xml's are different. The only benefit that I see to using Mach2, is that it *may* run better on slower PC's. If your PC is 1Ghz or faster, why bother with Mach2.
    I never got to the tuning part cuz the charge pump output would not come on.....do you think I should give it another go with the upgrade....Mach2 always ran great but if Mach3 will make it run better then I'm willing to give it another go.....I didn't use the same XML with Mach3 as I did with mach2 so I'm sure that wasn't a issue...
    Once I get the new/old board installed I'll try the upgrade again if it will make my machine run smother...the messed up board was a p4 2.8...the one i'm getting ready to put in is a p4 2.2.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast