mach 3 cv mode stalling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mach 3 cv mode stalling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default mach 3 cv mode stalling

so, mach's cv mode is causing me grief. on my milling machines, which are slow moving, it works great in general, however on my router which is capable of a much higher speed and acceleration im getting very odd effects.

when i set the motor tuning, my system is quite capable of 400ipm and 60 for acceleration. these are conservative safe settings ive been using.

in running a program like a pocket or a circle in exact stop mode, its all fine. in cv mode with all options turned off its usually fine as well.

when i run 3d contouring im seeing my issues. my program for today is about 100000 lines making up a waterline type contour. most of the g1 segments are only a mm long or so, some less. when the program gets to the end of the waterline it wants to transition down to the next. on some levels the transition is very sharp, like 150-170 degrees. its these sports the machine will stall. for any given mach setup or feed rate, the stall will be 100% consistent. also if i interupt these corners with a go retract they are fine.

occasionally it will also stall on the retract out of the part, or a goto zero command from the ui.

yesterday i tried alot of settings, and they all seem to have an effect, but no complete cure. high acceleration doesnt help. lower speed somewhat helps as you might expect, but that gets counter productive in a hurry. i also tried motor settings, pulse timing, various cv options, kernel speeds, etc. they all have an effect of some sort, changing the stall point, but no cure.

the closest thing to fixing it i found was lowering the accelleration to 25, leaving everything else as it was. while it no longer stalls in that program, this made a very audible diagnosis of the issue.

a straight line point to point, and most other transitions are smooth, since the acceleration is now so low, it doesnt jerk the lightweight machine around. on some corners though you still get a hard jerk. these as it turns out are the ones it was prone to stalling at. its almost as if its not decellerating properly, or cant manage to round the corner correctly and overloading the motors if the acceleration was too high.

so the question is why? i have only one theory at the moment hinging on the fact it only fails in complex short segment contouring. the theory is that the rounding radius is actually bigger than the motion segment its trying to round. this could be confusing the look ahead and not giving it time to slow down for the corner. lowering my accelration may not be fixing it at the root, but might be giving my motors enough overhead that they wont stall. when i break the corner with a g0, it would negate the need for rounding, so it doesnt stall.

so anyone every get an issue like this or have any thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

heres a picture of one of the problem areas in the program.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mach 3 cv mode stalling-stall_mach-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

A year or two ago someone reported a bug in CV that sounds similar, as it occurred when all 3 axis were involved. I'm not sure if it was ever fixed, due to the complexity involved. Have you tried using the CV angle setting? Set it at an angle to force Exact Stop in those situations.

If you're stalling on a Goto Zero, sounds like the accel is set too high.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    A year or two ago someone reported a bug in CV that sounds similar, as it occurred when all 3 axis were involved. I'm not sure if it was ever fixed, due to the complexity involved. Have you tried using the CV angle setting? Set it at an angle to force Exact Stop in those situations.

If you're stalling on a Goto Zero, sounds like the accel is set too high.
    ive tried every cv setting, different angles, distances, etc.

today it stalled on a pocket which had all rounded corners at only 100ipm. i raised the acceleration back up to 60 and it didnt stall again on *that* program. this it wearing me out and ruining expensive pieces of wood. im going to try EMC2 next week if i cant get this reliable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Was this issue resolved? I have similar problems at the moment.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by atypicalguy View Post
    Was this issue resolved? I have similar problems at the moment.
    no. if you need reliable high speed contouring on a stepper machine, id say you have to stick with emc. with servos you have high peak torque at speed, so this is likely much less of an issue, and if it does drop steps, it will stop and not ruin the work piece and tool.

i ran a 5 hour program on my big mill at 150ipm yesterday. stalled twice. i tweaked accelerations and speeds until it was stall free. now *that* program wont stall again on that machine, but for the next program the game starts all over again. i cant run emc on that machine for now, cause i cant get the spindle controlled. once thats figured out, ill abandon mach. its a shame, because if not for that issue, its pretty ideal.

Downloads
    Uploads

How is your spindle controlled? What have you tried in emc?

sam

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by samco View Post
    How is your spindle controlled? What have you tried in emc?

sam
    i didnt spend that long with it, this machine is in use and i cant really screw with it much.

i dont really remember, but i tried everything on the cnc4pc guide. the spindle would turn on, but only at a low speed and with no control otherwsie. my spindle is step and direction under mach. other people with the same machine but a pwm spindle control have made it work. (its a novakon nm200).

ill revisit it at some point. i may be getting a new machine at the end of this month that will get converted. ill use emc for that likely. it will be 3kw ac servos and a 15hp induction motor for the spindle though, so ill be trying mach3 as well.

mach has far superior contouring control - when it works.

Downloads
    Uploads

Remember when you try emc2 again - read the G64 section

G Codes

P - motion blending tolerance

Q - naive came tolerance

G64 - best possible speed.

G64 P- blending with tolerance.

G64 - without P means to keep the best speed possible, no matter how far away from the programmed point you end up.

G64 P- Q- - is a way to fine tune your system for best compromise between speed and accuracy. The P- tolerance means that the actual path will be no more than P- away from the programmed endpoint. The velocity will be reduced if needed to maintain the path. In addition, when you activate G64 P- Q- it turns on the naive cam detector; when there are a series of linear XYZ feed moves at the same feed rate that are less than Q- away from being collinear, they are collapsed into a single linear move. On G2/G3 moves in the G17 (XY) plane when the maximum deviation of an arc from a straight line is less than the G64 P- tolerance the arc is broken into two lines (from start of arc to midpoint, and from midpoint to end). those lines are then subject to the naive cam algorithm for lines. Thus, line-arc, arc-arc, and arc-line cases as well as line-line benefit from the naive cam detector. This improves contouring performance by simplifying the path. It is OK to program for the mode that is already active. See also the Path Control Mode Section and Trajectory Control Section for more information on these modes. If Q is not specified then it will have the same behavior as before and use the value of P-.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    i didnt spend that long with it, this machine is in use and i cant really screw with it much.

i dont really remember, but i tried everything on the cnc4pc guide. the spindle would turn on, but only at a low speed and with no control otherwsie. my spindle is step and direction under mach. other people with the same machine but a pwm spindle control have made it work. (its a novakon nm200).

ill revisit it at some point. i may be getting a new machine at the end of this month that will get converted. ill use emc for that likely. it will be 3kw ac servos and a 15hp induction motor for the spindle though, so ill be trying mach3 as well.

mach has far superior contouring control - when it works.

Downloads
    Uploads

ive read it, it is very poor at maintaining a constant speed. if you set the program to cut at say, 400ipm, it hovers between 100 and 300. all while giving poor tracking accuracy (even with the P setting at 0.001"). with p set high or left out, it FACETS the models curves, and wanders off long straight lines making it virtually useless.

mach3 on the other hand with maintain 400ipm smoothly and accuractly follow the path except for subtle rounding in corners based on the cv settings. of course, you get the corner stall once in a while which can be tuned out if you want to chase it like i did on this last program (which i need to run 10 or 15 times in the next few weeks).

emc's contouring control needs a total rethink. it doesnt stall, thats its only saving grace and the only reason ill use it.

Downloads
    Uploads

ive read it, it is very poor at maintaining a constant speed. if you set the program to cut at say, 400ipm, it hovers between 100 and 300. all while giving poor tracking accuracy (even with the P setting at 0.001"). with p set high or left out, it FACETS the models curves, and wanders off long straight lines making it virtually useless.

mach3 on the other hand with maintain 400ipm smoothly and accuractly follow the path except for subtle rounding in corners based on the cv settings. of course, you get the corner stall once in a while which can be tuned out if you want to chase it like i did on this last program (which i need to run 10 or 15 times in the next few weeks).

emc's contouring control needs a total rethink. it doesnt stall, thats its only saving grace and the only reason ill use it.

Have you considered that EMC runs more slowly because it actually obeys your acceleration limits? If Mach stalls, its quite likely it does so because is violates the acceleration limits...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    Have you considered that EMC runs more slowly because it actually obeys your acceleration limits? If Mach stalls, its quite likely it does so because is violates the acceleration limits...
    ive considered that, and decided it was false. mach obeys acceleration limits fully. there is a bug in certain types of high complexity corners.

yup, its a very serious bug, and it will prevent me from using on the new machine it perhaps, but emc2's contouring control is still beyond terrible, and no amount of suggesting mach's is worse will fix it

Downloads
    Uploads

ive considered that, and decided it was false. mach obeys acceleration limits fully. there is a bug in certain types of high complexity corners.

yup, its a very serious bug, and it will prevent me from using on the new machine it perhaps, but emc2's contouring control is still beyond terrible, and no amount of suggesting mach's is worse will fix it
    There is 0 doubt that acceleration or velocity limits are being violated (this is what causes a stall)

Whether its because of an obscure bug or that basic limits are not obeyed in some cases is not known until you instrument the point of failure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    There is 0 doubt that acceleration or velocity limits are being violated (this is what causes a stall)

Whether its because of an obscure bug or that basic limits are not obeyed in some cases is not known until you instrument the point of failure.
    thats out of my realm. it doesnt matter at this point.

mach needs a fix, emc needs a rethink. maybe ill buy a fanuc system

Downloads
    Uploads

thats out of my realm. it doesnt matter at this point.

mach needs a fix, emc needs a rethink. maybe ill buy a fanuc system
    Flashcut would be a whole lot cheaper and exactly zero CV "bugs". I do a lot of detailed engraving with tons of micro line segments. Like your fast environment, my engravers must run as fast as possible to be profitable.

Mach's CV failed for me miserably when I tried to see what all the hub-bub was about. Now you have me wondering if toying with EMC is even worth it.

Flashcut has always handled CV with excellence......

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    Flashcut would be a whole lot cheaper and exactly zero CV "bugs". I do a lot of detailed engraving with tons of micro line segments. Like your fast environment, my engravers must run as fast as possible to be profitable.

Mach's CV failed for me miserably when I tried to see what all the hub-bub was about. Now you have me wondering if toying with EMC is even worth it.

Flashcut has always handled CV with excellence......
    i always thought flashcut was a full system. can it just be installed like mach with an existing machine/break out board?

i noticed a note in mach's change log for a recent "dev" version that mentiones acceleration issues with tiny arcs. i wonder if its related. i should try the new dev version to test.

Downloads
    Uploads

i always thought flashcut was a full system. can it just be installed like mach with an existing machine/break out board?

i noticed a note in mach's change log for a recent "dev" version that mentiones acceleration issues with tiny arcs. i wonder if its related. i should try the new dev version to test.
    Flashcut can be retro'd into most any emc, mach type environment quite simply as Flashcut also uses a conventional DB25 socket to communicate with the driver cabinet.

Most of the Mach/EMC installations have used a breakout board on the driver side of things. There would likely be no need to completely rewire what you already have there..... probably just be a matter of making up a new DB25 cable or use one of those crossover adapters so you can take Flashcuts DB25 pinouts and apply them properly to your breakout boards pins. I did one not too long ago that had a cnc4pc board in it and the only change I had to make to get moving was related to the "charge pump" line which is not necessary with Flashcut. I did have to rework the 0-10v analog for spindle control, but over all, it was a no brainer conversion.

Regarding the small arcs..... I recall having more trouble trying to use actual arcs instead of small straight line segments. Perhaps that fix just deals with arcs and not line segs. Who knows !

Chris L

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any news on this ? i do have the exact same Problem, i could only tweak it away by lowering acc and full speed, furthermore creating shorter gcode helped, i did set the option in mach 3 where u can set how much it looks into the future to its heighest setting aswell ( if i remember correctly its about 2000 lines )

After all my machine doesnt stall anymore but im running at only 2/3rds of the possible speed...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lenne0815 View Post
    Any news on this ? i do have the exact same Problem, i could only tweak it away by lowering acc and full speed, furthermore creating shorter gcode helped, i did set the option in mach 3 where u can set how much it looks into the future to its heighest setting aswell ( if i remember correctly its about 2000 lines )

After all my machine doesnt stall anymore but im running at only 2/3rds of the possible speed...
    sorry, havent come up with anything lately. your tweaking unfortunately is going to be variable. youll find it fixes one program stalling, but wont others.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

sorry, havent come up with anything lately. your tweaking unfortunately is going to be variable. youll find it fixes one program stalling, but wont others.
    actually it does, i didnt experience another stall after i did these adjustments, but just for rechecking, could u send me gcode that stalls for u 100 % ? i did install the newest dev version now and im about to test if something hast changed...

if ure unable to send anything would u agree that a 3d "bowl" is probably the best way to check it ? i think that would have the worst variation in stepover angles one could expect from a drawing ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast