3dprintforums logo

CNCzone Network:  RFQwork :: 3Dprintforums :: Welderzone :: Google+ :: Our Facebook :: Twitter :: SiteMap

Thread: Another Newbie question - Z axis won't move

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another Newbie question - Z axis won't move

OK...I have set the pin assignments in the software as described with my board (HobbyCNC) specs. The X and Y work great, and I can jog it around...YAHHHH it works.......but the Z axis is not working. The motor hums when it is on and it cannot be moved. When off, it moves freely, no binding. When I try to jog the Z axis, the numbers on the software interface move, and the motor makes a humming noise but the axis screw is not turning (and I chacked to make sure the LoveJoy was tight, it is...the shaft is not turning). I have rechecked the pins assignment and it is right, according to the paperwork. Where should I start in troubleshooting this problem?
    Sorry for the questions, but this is my first big CNC build (the foam cutter was much easier) and I can't understand why the other motors are working this one will not.
    Any suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try lowering the acceleration on the Z axis. If that doesn't work, wire the Z motor to the X or Y axis and then see if it jogs.

Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://home.comcast.net/~cncwoodworker/2010.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No success...

I switched the Y motor to the Z axis controller and it does the same thing, so I can assume it is not a problem with the motor. I went into the tunig section and tried manipulating the numbers there on the Z and it does not work with any success. The motor sounds like it is trying to move, but it does not. I don't know whther this is aproblem with the board or it is something that I have neglected in the software setup for the Z axis. I am about to pull my hair out here. The X and Y are working fine, and they calibrated perfectly. The only thing that needs attention is the Z in oder to get this thing working correctly.
    Any other ideas on what I could try?
    Is there any other software out there there is fairly easy to use for a hobbyist that I could try on a trial basis and see if it is a software issue or hardware?
    Tommy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wire the Z motor to the Y drive. Since the Y drive is working, then the Z motor should work with it. If it does, it would indicate a problem with the drive.

Also, triple check all the port and pin settings. Make sure the port setting for each pin is correct. Sometimes they are set to port 0 by default.

Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://home.comcast.net/~cncwoodworker/2010.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)