Need Help! mdi issues

Thread: mdi issues

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default mdi issues

So thus far I have been working with my machine that I built (actually the 3rd in a year) and have been learning lots. As of late I have been trying to take out the small amount of backlash on my machine so I manually do a gcode command in the mach3 mdi which has worked flawlessly until last night. The code is a simple g01x1 . Now all of a sudden when I input the code the machine will take off the wrong way and not stop even though I the command was only for one inch. Other times the softlimits will chyme at me even though I am no where near the limits. And sometimes it will actually move the way that I want it to. Has anyone else ever had this issue? Like I said it was not doing it before, it seemed to start when I put values into the backlash box. I don't even have it turned on at the moment.

Thanks
    Brad

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: mdi issues

Is it possible that you were in a wrong mode (G90/G91) when you typed the G01 command?
    Does the machine move as expected in other situations (jogging with the cursor keys or running a G-code file)?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Is it possible that you were in a wrong mode (G90/G91) when you typed the G01 command?
    Does the machine move as expected in other situations (jogging with the cursor keys or running a G-code file)?
    I am positive it was a go1 command, everything else seems to be working fine. If I jog it goes exactly where it is supposed to. I ran a gcode file that was generated by the wizard and that seemed to be fine as well. It was working just great until I put my backlash numbers in and turned it on. Then I started to get the problem. Not sure if it is even related. I turned off backlash and am still having the issue. When I input a g01 command it should just move from the position that I am in correct? Should I have to zero out the dro? From my understanding this should just move away from the current position and it was working fine.

Thanks for your response

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Brad777 View Post
    When I input a g01 command it should just move from the position that I am in correct?
    If you are in G91 mode, then G01X1 will move the tool 1 unit to the right.
    If you are in G90 mode (after running some G-code or a script that had a G90 in it), then G01X1 will move the tool to the X=1 position.
    Look at the status line in the upper right corner that starts with "Mill ->...". Does it say G90 or G91?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    If you are in G91 mode, then G01X1 will move the tool 1 unit to the right.
    If you are in G90 mode (after running some G-code or a script that had a G90 in it), then G01X1 will move the tool to the X=1 position.
    Look at the status line in the upper right corner that starts with "Mill ->...". Does it say G90 or G91?
    Ok I will check that out when I get into the shop tonight.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Brad777 View Post
    Ok I will check that out when I get into the shop tonight.
    That was spot on! Thank you so much for your help. I learned some more today.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are welcome, glad we found the problem.