Need Help! manual tool change problem

Thread: manual tool change problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default manual tool change problem

What goes right: In General Configuration I have "Ignore Tool Change" checked. I run only 1 tool at a time, each tool a different file. This works perfectly.

What goes wrong: When i check "Stop spindle, wait for cycle start" Both X and Y Axes move in the wrong direction when I hit start, and move until they crash.

If I check "Auto tool changer" it works but then I am unable to change the tool.

Although I have been using Mach3 for over a year, I know very little about it. It's time i fix this because it's a pain in the ass to save every tool in a different file. if anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: manual tool change problem

Hi.....I don't know if this helps.....still learning G code........I have a small job with 8 parts that needs 4 holes drilled in line and a 5th hole, a different diam to one side.

The first part of the program is to spot all 5 holes and then back to the beginning and M1 to program pause etc, .....change the tool to the tapping drill size.....drill 4 holes.......another M1 to pause operation....change tool to the 5th hole size....resume the cycle and drill the 5th hole, then back to the home position, stop cycle and change tool ready for the next part.

Something I thought up with the problem of tool changing in sequence without an auto tool hanger to prevent putting the wrong tool in at the wrong time, and it could be called the poor man's auto tool changer without the auto.

It would work like this.....you have the tools mounted in a circular carousel off the machine and when the command for a tool change was entered in the program, it would pause and the carousel (connected to mach 3 but not to the mill) would rotate to the tool number programmed and present the tool to be changed manually.

You then remove the existing tool from the spindle, put it in it's numbered slot position in the carousel and remove the tool in the front position.......this would make it fail safe to sequence tools without putting the wrong tool in etc.....just a thought.

Perhaps just a note in the program at each pause position to indicate the tool number to be used when the program resumes would be simpler than a carousel.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Ian, I will try inserting an M1 and see if that has the effect I need. I can see in the G code displayed which tool number it is asking for. Anyway, I will give the M1 a try a see what happens.

I guess this is the downside of not knowing G code. But then again I have machined many 1,000's of parts on my CNC's and never needed to know G code beyond 3 or different commands. When I went to school at Bridgeport when I bought my first machine, a guy there named Lenny said if I didn't first learn G code I would never be able to use my machine. I told him he was wrong, that's why CAM was invented. Mostly, he was wrong and I was right!! but wish I knew it now lol

Downloads
    Uploads

What goes wrong: When i check "Stop spindle, wait for cycle start" Both X and Y Axes move in the wrong direction when I hit start, and move until they crash.
    Your M6End macro runs when you hit Cycle Start. Check what's in the macro, as that's probably what's causing your problem.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Your M6End macro runs when you hit Cycle Start. Check what's in the macro, as that's probably what's causing your problem.
    Hi Gerry, thanks for pointing me into what I think is the right direction. I have managed to figure out where the macro is and opened it up in notepad. However, I don't understand what's in there and I can't find where to figure it out. The file is attached, maybe you know where I can start looking how to figure out what this means and how I can change it to do what I need?

In the mean time, I have figured out a work-around that does what i need. I open my code in notepad, and then I replace every "M06" with an "M1 M5". I am not completely certain why this works but it does what i need. But I would sure like to learn how to do it the right way.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by EZfab View Post
    Hi Gerry, thanks for pointing me into what I think is the right direction. I have managed to figure out where the macro is and opened it up in notepad. However, I don't understand what's in there and I can't find where to figure it out. The file is attached, maybe you know where I can start looking how to figure out what this means and how I can change it to do what I need?

In the mean time, I have figured out a work-around that does what i need. I open my code in notepad, and then I replace every "M06" with an "M1 M5". I am not completely certain why this works but it does what i need. But I would sure like to learn how to do it the right way.
    Because you M6End Macro is your problem like ger21 pointed out. Replacing with M1 M5 now M6End macro is not running.