How best to Use Toolchanger with Drill Bits?

Thread: How best to Use Toolchanger with Drill Bits?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How best to Use Toolchanger with Drill Bits?

I have a lathe with a 4-position rotary toolchanger. It is turret type toolchanger, and it can hold multiple styles in each position. I've already got the toolchanger macro working for this with help from the forum. This question is more about how to use this type of toolchanger &Mach3 with drill bits. I'm a hobbyist & repair person, so most of the work I do is one-off items.

This is no problem with standard turning tools because I typically use the same DNMG RH tool no matter what I turn. However with drill bits, they change with each operation, and to add complexity many times are different Z lengths as you change size. I would only typically put one drill bit in the toolchanger in a standard position which has the drill chuck MT adapter.

My initial though to reduce multi tool complexity in the tool table of Mach is as follows: Set the face of the drill chuck as Z=0 as part of standard tool entry setup. Of course X=0 would be set on the centerline. Then, in my gcode I would always call this tool not matter what drill bit planning to use. When setting up for a job, I would put in the drill bit, measuring how far it extends from the face of the chuck. Then, in Mach, I would use the 'Z Wear' setting to input this length measurement for that tool designation. Then Mach would automatically add in the wear dimension to the tool offset, taking care of the drill bit length.

Looking for feedback on how you think this would work?

Thanks
    Nick

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How best to Use Toolchanger with Drill Bits?

If you have the clearance, sometimes a drill can be on the same tool position with a cutter.

Can you post a picture of the lathe with the turret ? I'm looking to set one up on a small lathe too, and looking some ideas .

Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Turret Picture

Sure, this is what I have for a pic right now, turret is partially hidden behind the door. I won't be at the machine until next week, take some more then.

It's a rather large machine, 22" swing, and this turret came with it. It's air actuated and locked, which is pretty cool to see it move.

Yes, I am actually occupying a face with the drill, as the turret has 2 holes per face bored thru for adapters, as well as full 1" slots all the way around. So I load the turning tools in the slots, and have an 3MT adapter in one hole that I can then plug/unplug the drill chuck into. That's why it would be so convenient to use the wear setting, as the chuck itself will re-index every time, all I have to do is index the drill. Since it is always on centerline matching the chuck, X is no problem. Only issue is Z length.

Coincidentally this is a picture while I was installing the Viper drives.

+How best to Use Toolchanger with Drill Bits?-img_2172-jpg