New Machine Build Spindle Timing Mach3 with Quadrature Encoder

Thread: Spindle Timing Mach3 with Quadrature Encoder

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle Timing Mach3 with Quadrature Encoder

Hello;

I have an older CNC lathe I am rebuilding with modern controls. It has a quadrature A, B, I channel encoder direct to spindle with 1024 pulse/rev encoding. I would like to use this for timing feedback to Mach in order to get good spindle definition feedback. I cannot find much info on how to do this, it seems most feedback for Mach is based on Index pulsing.

I was thinking if this could be done with some sort of configurable quadrature decoder which would take the 3 channel input and output a simple & usable pin signal to mach for timing at a selectable rate, if anyone had any suggestions for this type of decoder.

I realize I could use the I signal directly for index pulse, however I think it will be too short a pulse for Mach to use as it is and I would like to utilize the capability of the encoder I have if possible.

My system setup is Mach3, Ethernet smoothstepper, PMDX 126 breakout board, & Viper servo drives. Max speed of spindle is 2000 RPM.

Finally, is there a good way to interface this too Mach as well, I do have a spare input on the PMDX126, however I am tight on inputs. Not sure if I could do something with the 3rd interface point on the Smoothstepper?

Thank you.
    Nick

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Timing Mach3 with Quadrature Encoder

As an update, I figured out the best short term solution is to run with the index pulse to Mach3. The PMDX 126 has a pulse stretching input pin specifically for this application, I used this pin for the 'I' input and it seems to work really well. I have not tried it on another normal pin. I am so far very impressed with the PMDX boards, they have great functionality, documentation and are well thought out for application.

I have promises from Warp9 that they will be working out programming to decode quadrature input from a spindle to bring into the ethernet smoothstepper, however it is not likely going to see light until after Mach4. Capability is there, looks like it just needs programming.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a similar encoder but 2,000 pulses on my lathe and going to mach3 I was wondering the same thing on how to hook it up. I was looking at the PMDX 126 for a BOB option.

Here is the photo of my Encoder.

CNC Machines: Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Mill W4th Axis | Birmingham 12X36 Lathe W/ CNC Retrofit W/Tormach BOB PathPilot & SKCD200220 VFD | My Personal Blog www.stevenrhine.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like that encoder is single ended with A, B, possibly I on terminal 6, although the labeling as ZR is odd. 2000 CPR is an enormous amount for a spindle when you consider it s turning at 1,000's of RPM's.

I would see if you can find the documentation to verify if that is a once per revolution pulse. If that is true, you can feed it into the pulse stretching pin on the PMDX BOB, align the pinout with Mach3 and use it for spindle indexing. PMDX has great documentation on hooking up, I was able to get everything working in one go. He gives you the ports and pins to use right in the documents. I used an ethernet smoothstepper from Warp9 for my interface because I wanted to run it on a laptop, and it mounted and interfaced perfectly with the PMDX board.

I guess you could also take the risk and hook it up and see what the diagnostics in mach tell you, if it flashes once per rev than you know it is an index pulse.

Downloads
    Uploads

ZR is the Index Pulse. Datasheets Linked Below. Data sheet provided by Encoders.com

According to encoders.com the DRC M21AASODB4D-2000 should cross to their EPC 15S-19M4-2000N5ROC-F00

From what I have been reading all I need for mach is +5, Ground, & Z. The ZR+ (Index) will go to a signal input (Spindle Index) correct?

Are the CH A+ & CH B+ Just not used with Mach3? Am I Missing Something?

Last edited by Contract_Pilot; 10-17-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    CNC Machines: Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Mill W4th Axis | Birmingham 12X36 Lathe W/ CNC Retrofit W/Tormach BOB PathPilot & SKCD200220 VFD | My Personal Blog www.stevenrhine.com