Need Help! Boxford 240TCL + Mach 3

Thread: Boxford 240TCL + Mach 3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Boxford 240TCL + Mach 3

Recently purchased a Boxford 240 TCL, came with software and Floppy Disk but can't get it to work, reads an error opening licence file. Does say single user licence

The boxford has been updated by boxford with the following:
    Converted to Serial Interface, Converted to Single Pulley, Fitted Homing Switches, Fitted Turbo Boards and V10 Eproms,

I actually live not too far from the Boxford Factory and as always it was like taking to a brick wall..

Can anyone help me get this up and running please, complete newbee to the whole CNC game, i've read a few posts recommending Mach 3, but i'd like to get the boxford software working before modifying the machine to use Mach 3

Any help most welcome

Thank you in advance

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a TCL 240 running Mach 3 Turn. It is very difficult to run the Boxford software as the License is for educational training use only and is difficult to get around. My lathe had new/modified drives and X, Z homing switches which are really not needed with Mach

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there.

I bought a 240TCL in 2005 and converted it to Mach3 to run at work and it's a dream. I liked it so much I got another one for my home workshop. I used a pair of microstep drivers, a 2-axis parallel board and a manual controlled speed controller for the original dc motor (a knob on the front panel) and its doing masses of good work. The Boxford PSU is perfect but the old electronics need to be stripped out and a bit of rewiring done. The old speed DC controller was not good but a nice new compact board from RS components made great use of the 180v DC drive motor. Mach3 looks a lot on the surface but its not so hard to get up and running. I use Dolphin Partmaster as a dxf-g&m code converter and its a great setup. I also run a Boxford 190 miller and did the same to that and this also has a lot of regular work. I use both machines for production work and though they are meant for light teaching use they have stood up to many years of weekly work and can hold 0.01-0.02mm easy.
    Both machines are well recommended for these conversions as trying to use the original Boxford software is a dead end for non-educational users.
    Hope this helps anyone
    Mike.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses, I have the original steppers and 2.5mm pitch ball screws but one had broken through the case hardening so I am replacing it with a 16mm 2.5 screw although I may have some fun getting the nut to fit.
    The machine has original steppers, 400 steps as I recall from set up before I stripped machine down. Are these ok to reuse?

It had burnt out dc motor but a 1.5 kw inverter that has speed control board. Is it worth trying to get the motor rewound or just go for a 3 phase. If so what speed and power? The original motor seemed to b 4000 rpm and b14 flange. I read someone used a 2 hip motor o is this over the top?

Lastly the big thing I am struggling with is the post processor and how actually to implement the toolchanger. I understand you call up a macro in the g code but I am not clear how this works.
    I want to fit and mpg on the front somewhere and add a controls to the old front panel. Is it still not worth doing limit switches while I can? I reckon the balls crews were damaged from driving against the limits too many times?
    That everyone for comments and advice
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the responses, I have the original steppers and 2.5mm pitch ball screws but one had broken through the case hardening so I am replacing it with a 16mm 2.5 screw although I may have some fun getting the nut to fit.
    The machine has original steppers, 400 steps as I recall from set up before I stripped machine down. Are these ok to reuse?

It had burnt out dc motor but a 1.5 kw inverter that has speed control board. Is it worth trying to get the motor rewound or just go for a 3 phase. If so what speed and power? The original motor seemed to b 4000 rpm and b14 flange. I read someone used a 2 hip motor o is this over the top?

Lastly the big thing I am struggling with is the post processor and how actually to implement the toolchanger. I understand you call up a macro in the g code but I am not clear how this works.
    I want to fit and mpg on the front somewhere and add a controls to the old front panel. Is it still not worth doing limit switches while I can? I reckon the balls crews were damaged from driving against the limits too many times?
    That everyone for comments and advice
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you got any further with the conversion? I have just started converting a 240 TCL. Just trying to decide what to do with the spindle motor. I have the original DC motor and contactors for reversing, I also have a .75Kw (1hp) 3phase motor and invertor. I would prefer the latter as its less likley to go bang if mach3 messes up the contactor timeing when reversing. do you have any pictures of your machine and motor setup?

Thanks

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Boxford 240TCL + Mach 3

Hi,
    I know this is an old thread..........
    I have the machine that Mike had. It has a pneumatic chuck and I need spare soft jaws and to know how to remove it. I had a 160 which was super little machine but limited with the size thro the spindle.

Regards Peter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Boxford 240TCL + Mach 3

sorrypost error