New Machine Build MESA 5i25-7i76 Spindle Issue

Thread: MESA 5i25-7i76 Spindle Issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MESA 5i25-7i76 Spindle Issue

well i'm at work now thought i would throw this out there see if any body has an idea how to fix my spindle problem before i get to the shop.
    from what i can remember it was giving a broken pipe error on the spindle when i used pncconf. there are +- buttons and when pressed spindle doesn't work. so i'm a little confused as to what is wrong. my notion is that i don't have a index or encoder hooked up yet. Other than the spindle all i can say is wow, love the mesa combo. Took less than 15 minutes to set up and calibrate 4 axis. i did alot of research and i've tried mach3 with just motors spinning and i have to say i found this virtually painless.
    i do like mach3 but the motors are turning silky smooth with mesa/linux combo.

If it helps here are the specs:
    Spindle Control
    http://littlemachineshop.com/instruc...UpgradeKit.pdf
    Mill
    HiTorque Mini Mill, Solid Column - LittleMachineShop.com
    CNC Conversion
    CNC Fusion
    Mesa 5i25 + 7i76

for spindle index pin refer to the following great work by djbird3
    XMT500C Closed Loop Control-1.pdf
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/924725-post129.html
    my thought was to use this for the index pulse and to somehow try to figure out a way to get encoder output from hall sensors hooked to control board (flacky im sure).

please look over my pinout and see if anything is wrong.
    TB4-Pin2 is connected to 0-10v input on control
    TB4-Pin6 is connected to start/stop input on control
    TB4-Pin8 is connected to Forward/Reverse input on control

there is a Fln pin on control 4th pin from bottom, what is that for(Fault?).

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MESA 5i25-7i76 Spindle Issue-7i76-step-io-step-dir-plus-o   MESA 5i25-7i76 Spindle Issue-4213cncspindlecontrolupgradekit-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update: This is whats been done so far.
    placed chip in mill, mounted board, tried 0-10vdc, used jumper to ground start&direction as shown, nothing. has green light no fault spindle doesn't turn. Hooked meter to dir-start pins floats at 4.93v as expected for a ground activated input. then tried swapping back to original chip and plugging back in to existing pot. turned on, ramps up to full speed, sounded good till i noticed it was on 0. now i'm thinking the chip that was placed in mill might have some kind of boot loader that reprograms the other micro onboard. now i'm stuck, might be faulty cnc control board, bad program in chip, screwed up motor control. three options buy another motor control (control manually), buy mesa 8i20 (not sure would work with 5i25 or orginal mill motor), or replace with dc servo. what really sucks here is i only needed this for a few days the intention was to machine a new belt cover, nema34 motor mount, and timing pulley. i figured i could swap back if servo wasn't good enough. can anyone advise on my plan. the servo is 100v 30amp 4 brush nema34 with encoder/index. I was hoping it could do rigid tapping.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default update

my controller got screwed up by cnc upgrade from LMS so now it just runs wide open.
    when i contacted them about it they said yeah its no good were pulling it from site.
    great i just did this yesterday and had it in a box for 3 months.