Touch-off plate for CNC router? - Page 5

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Touch-off plate for CNC router?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I'll take a look with halmeter and see whats going on. If I press the button in MDI mode then switch to manual and jog the z axis then I get some trouble. It'll either probe again or run the last two commands.

http://chuckscnc.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I couldn't see halmeter change i think the pins change too fast. I'm gonna try a few more times. I had a different problem this time though. I was in manual mode with the x axis selected and pressed the button. Nothing should happen but My machine jogged to x= -2.635 as a result. That's not even in the program.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

chaxmtu,

I'll take a look at your config this evening and see if I see anything. I might hook up my other BOB so I can simulate the input of the probe...

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It might be easier to just substitute a different g-code for the probe move like G0 Z-1. That way you won't need a probe and the in_pos function will wait for that movement to stop instead.

I was thinking maybe it's variable I used in my postgui.hal file. Once in class I made a mathcad file called length, and it screwed up mathcad because it also has a hidden file named length in my home directory. Just a thought, I don't know if that's possible here or not.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I fixed it!! I have no idea how though. The only thing I did between now and when I had problems was add another MDI comand button.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, now zip it all up so we can copy

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here you go. The z-touchoff button works the same as before. I added a second button to reset the X and Y coordinates in relation to a laser crosshair. You can adjust the g code to fit your machine in the halui section of your .ini file.

I should have my laser set up tomorrow. Then I can make a short video of the whole setup in action. Enjoy.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Chuck,

Thanks, I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure out how to make it work for me.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad it can be of use. I've got mine running now with laser and all. Works pretty good but the gcode used to set the coordinate system offsets will add every time you press the button. For now there's an easy fix. My cam program has a setting to add code to the beginning or end of my gcode files (I use cambam). Just add G92.2 to the end of your gcode files and it will erase the offsets when its done running. OR we can add a 'clear offsets' button? In the meantime I'm looking for a way to change the machine position without using offsets. A futile endeavor I think.

Let me know if you experience any bugs like I listed before. I think they're happening when my base period is too low. Its probably just my computer, It has some realtime performance issues. It will soon be retired though.

I'll see if I can get a video posted tonight.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do we get a video soon ?
    What kind of laser system are u using?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I'm working on the video today. I was thinking of working on tool changes using my touch off plate. That would be a different video though.

I'm using a $3 laser crosshair from ebay. The lines it makes are a little thick but they'll do for a machine like mine. Right now I just have 3AA batteries and a switch attached but I'd like to power it from my parallel port. It only takes 5V and ~35mA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here it is. "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYBAH6E8IZs"]A VIDEO!! Sorry it took so long. I think it covers the basics. Hope you find it interesting. In all, I think this is pretty much what I wanted when we started. I've seen similar setups with mach and now we have it for EMC. Thanks guys for being patient with me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey chazmtu

That is really cool. way to keep on it! I added a link to the video on the wiki.
    Hey could you add a cancel offset MDI comand to the beginning the ladder program ?
    This was fun!

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

I pretty sure I know why you had trouble before with the MDI commands running multiple
    times. I updated the ladder program here:
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emc...LadderExamples
    #Single_button_probe_touchoff
    You should update your ladder program.
    cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks chris,

I'll add a new button today. I'm starting a small run of signs this weekend so I'll get to see how this works out several times in a day. I'll be sure to update my ladder program first though. Thanks again for all the help, I think we have a useful function here. I wonder If anyone else has this working yet? I'd like to see some other uses people come up with.

I'm gonna start just posting the new version on my website until I'm sure there's no more changes to be made, then I only have to worry about one link. Once it's all worked out I'll post it in the downloads section here on the forums. I think we're pretty close to that now anyways.

Chuck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I almost have it worked out but having some trouble with the last bit. I updated my ladder file and added a clear offsets button that runs g92.2 so the offset is canceled but the variables remain. Then I added another button that restores the previous x and y offsets by running "G92 X[#5211] Y[#5212]" (number variables are the stored x and y offsets from my .var file). My problem is when I press the Restore button it sets my coordinates the same as the X-Y Zero button. Two presses gets me the previous position like I wanted. Is there a variable for the current position in G54? I already tried "G92 X[X+#5211] Y[Y+#5212]", I thought maybe there's a current location variable I can add to the offset to get the previous position, but haven't found it. If not I'll just make classicladder run it twice but I'd like to minimize the number of offsets I stack.

Here's what I was doing. So far If I wanted to use more than one tool I had my g code footers move the tool to the position it was before I initially hit the X-Y Zero button. That way I can clear the offsets, change the tool, do another touch off, and when I press the X-Y Zero button again, I don't lose my position. Then I can load the file for the next tool and proceed. I tried using an automatic probe move so I can get everything in one file but EMC didn't like that. I don't recommend trying that again. The point is to use as many tools as I like without worrying about my offsets adding up. It worked but wasn't very user friendly.

Here's how I want it to work. The parameters for the offsets are never erased unless I run G92.1. My clear offset button only turns the offsets off but doesn't erase the variables. When EMC is started the previous values still exist unless your last file runs G92.1 which is my intention. Otherwise you can hit "Clear Offsets" before you start. Now Jog the laser to where the origin should be, and hit "X-Y Zero". This replaces the offset variables with new ones. Next comes the "Touchoff" button to get the tool height. So far everything is as before and we run the program for the first tool. The last button comes when you want to use a second/third tool. Hit clear Offsets and It does so. When you hit "Restore X-Y", it does exactly that. Your coordinates are right where they were for your next file only we got rid of the Z offset. This is just like a selective G92.3. Now do another Touchoff to get the height for the new tool and start it's file. Then we should be able to use as many tools in a row without any problems.

Once I get that button working right I'll upload it for everyone.

Chuck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default One Button Touch-Off

Chris/Chuck:
    Are you guys still around? I've been trying to implement your one button touch-off and can't seem to make it work. Here's my progression to this point:

I've updated to 2.3Beta and ran the stepper wizard at which time I added the ladder app for E-stop using both the hardware and EMC soft e-stops. When I ran EMC (AXIS) everything worked great. Getting a little cocky at this stage, I decided to learn something about classic ladder and tried to add ladder programming to the existing e-stop ladder to implement the one button touch-off shown in the Wiki example. Well, since my lame attempt at adding the programming I found in this thread, I can't get EMC2 to load. I even started from scratch and used just the files listed in the thread without any contamination by the e-stop ladder program. That doesn't work either. The closest I can get to start-up is an EMC debug error stating: custom_postgui.hal:13: pin ‘motion.motion-inpos’ does not exist. There is a line in the custom_postgui.hal file: “net in_pos motion.motion-inpos => classicladder.o.in-02” but that is the only reference to that signal/pin that I can find anywhere including the .hal and .ini files. I’m a rank beginner here and don’t know where to go next. I can’t seem to find anything to help me in the Hal docs either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Dean

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm checking on it... that pin should be there....
    Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

The pin is missing/removed.
    try changing motion.motion-inpos
    to motion.in-position

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I and attempting to install this aoto Z program following this thread & followed as close to the instructions as with my limited understanding...
    After some debugging & loss slept for a whole week, I finally manged to get it work partially.

I understand the correct behavior of the Z-axis is
    1) z-axis move down upon clicking the Z-touch off button
    2) Z-axis stop upon tool bit contact with the probe
    3) retract to predetermined position (I set mine at 25mm)

But this ia what I got
    1) The Z-axis move downward
    2) Touches the probe plate (a blank PCB soldered a hook up wire which connected to the Probe pin in my BOB)
    3) 3 thing happened simultanously,
    a)the Z-axis Stop
    b) Z coordinate reset to 1.5 (which is the thickness of my touch off plate.)
    d) error massage display on AXIS screen "Probe tripped during non-MDI command."
    4) then nothing happened

& from here on, nothing will happen when I click on the Auto Z touch-off button.

I'm totally stucked... Any help is highly appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Ken

Last edited by Tinkers; 08-26-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast