emc on ppc version of dapper 6.06?

Thread: emc on ppc version of dapper 6.06?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default emc on ppc version of dapper 6.06?

i've just downloaded my first ever linux OS and i'm mighty proud. But i'm doing so on an old g3 mac i just happen to have waiting, and emc won't install so i've got this question lingering ,is EMC compatible with a powerpc system?
    it almost seemed too convenient to find that i could
    1 get linux for free
    2 get emc for free
    3 use both on an otherwise free computer

another wall in my way, i can see coming, is the parallel card driver issue.
    i've ordered a linux compatible pci card but who knows if it's even remotely possible?

thanks for your time

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

download the latest emc bdi , it will install linux ubuntu and emc to you system

i would recommend after installing to go on line and install the kde desktop environment
    it's much more slick than ubuntu's default setup

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by draughted View Post
    i've just downloaded my first ever linux OS and i'm mighty proud. But i'm doing so on an old g3 mac i just happen to have waiting, and emc won't install so i've got this question lingering ,is EMC compatible with a powerpc system?
    it almost seemed too convenient to find that i could
    1 get linux for free
    2 get emc for free
    3 use both on an otherwise free computer

another wall in my way, i can see coming, is the parallel card driver issue.
    i've ordered a linux compatible pci card but who knows if it's even remotely possible?

thanks for your time
    I don't believe anyone has got emc to run on a ppc (could be wrong). I know that someone has got emc2 to run in simulation mode on a ppc (it may take a G4 or better).

Check the linuxcnc.org website.

Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

AFAIK there is no development path other than i386 right now. Could be something to post to the features request - a port to PPC, but with everything else and the majority of the freebie machines out there being i386 variants, I doubt it'd happen. But you might find somebody who likes the challenge and who knows. Never hurts to ask.

Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

that ain't a problem. I had high hopes but it hasn't cost too much so far.
    i'll have to keep a lookout for that port you speak of.

thanks for the quick reply

pete

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

say i do get a port, something someone is willing to release, is a parallel card going to conflict with the ppc architechure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

sorry double post

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a long time since I looked but you used to be able to get mac compatible Parallel port cards cards. (pre-PCI to give you an idea how long )

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

no, thats fine ive just found an old pc that fits the bill nicely, needs a bigger hdrive though. the card is just one more thing ive spent on this project that i just do not need.

lets hope i learn soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by draughted View Post
    no, thats fine ive just found an old pc that fits the bill nicely, needs a bigger hdrive though. the card is just one more thing ive spent on this project that i just do not need.
    Exactly what kind of card did you buy - if it's a PCI Parallel card hold onto it - very nice to have all the limits and other inputs available.

My EMC2 runs on a pIII 667mhz w/388mb memory that I found curbside with a dead HDD. $20 I picked up a 20gig HD used from the local computer repair shop and was in business. Looking back I could have bought a brand new drive for my main PC and moved the 80G over to the linux but it doesn't need that space. As is, I've got a few songs ripped (10 albums or so) for during setup periods, but most of the drive is freespace. The extra LPT was well worth the money to have the full complement of inputs and better fault identification.

Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com