Need Help! Stepper motors unresponsive

Thread: Stepper motors unresponsive

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper motors unresponsive

I'm converting my Sieg X2D to CNC and bought a complete kit from Probotix (PC with LinuxCNC pre-installed, Unity controller with 5 axis controls, NEMA 23 stepper motors) thinking it would all work together right out of the box. No such luck. I'm trying to configure everything in the stepconf application using the specs from Probotix's website. The parallel pins are set as closely as I can to the options displayed (Probotix shows Y1 and Y2 for instance, but the configuration only allows for Y) and the steps and revolutions are set according to the dip switch settings on the drivers, but when I test the axis the only response I get is the X axis. The other motors work when plugged into the X axis so I know it's not the motors, and I'm trusting that the cards are wired correctly from the factory. When I run the software the EStop stays OFF and turning the machine on shows the axes turning on, but the manual control stays gray. Anyone have any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper motors unresponsive

Can't you get any tech support from Probotix? If they sold you this whole system, the least they can do is help you get it to work.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Can't you get any tech support from Probotix? If they sold you this whole system, the least they can do is help you get it to work.
    I got some help from Probotix but mainly was told I'd have to figure it out for myself. He told me to check the connections inside the controller box as sometimes the ribbon connectors wiggle loose during shipping. That turned out to be the problem. Now the issue is accuracy of travel. When I change the values of the steps and steps per rev it changes the length of travel. I thought those settings were tied to smoothness of motors. Now the distances are off and I don't know how to get them right. I have the steps set according to the dip switch settings (4) and the steps/rev at 200. Any thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like Probotix knew what to do for you; that's great. The steps per unit settings don't have anything to do with how smoothly your motors run. They are a mathematical relationship between the motors (which typically have 200 steps per revolution) the pitch of your screws or R&P drives, and any microstepping your drivers do (that's for smoothness) and the units you're using. You can use trial and error to arrive at the right settings, just by trying a value and changing it until the distance the spindle travels is correct, but why not just ask Probotix?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

You set the values in the stepper configuration wizard. When setting up each axis you will be presented with a screen like the one below. The motor Steps/rev are almost always 200. The driver microstepping is what you have the dip switches on the driver set for. The pulley teeth is for a reduction drive on the screw. If you have the motor direct coupled to the screw then leave these at 1:1. Then you input the leadscrew pitch and the software will automatically calculate what it needs to get the travel correct. If the travel isn't correct then one of these setting is wrong. The remaining setting on this page of the stepper configuration wizard are for setting speeds and accel and table travel.

Stepper motors unresponsive-step_conf_3-gif