Need Help! Askpower A131 VFD spindle control

Thread: Askpower A131 VFD spindle control

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Askpower A131 VFD spindle control

Hi all,

I have been playing around with my homemade milling machine and have decided that I need to control the spindle via linuxcnc rather than manually from the vfd. Unfortunately I do not have any idea how to do this. The connections between the VFD and breakout board. I have connected the 12V out from the VFD to the 12-24V in on the BoB to power the BoB. And logically I would connect the 10V In on the VFD to the 0-10V Out on the BoB but what else?

Can anyone help? I ahve read several articles on this but none seem to be able to definitively answer this for my particular BoB and VFD.

My BoB:Manual
    My VFD AskPower A131: Manual

If someone could draw a diagram that would be great!!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Askpower A131 VFD spindle control-vfd-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Askpower A131 VFD spindle control

For spindle speed control, you are almost there. In addition to hooking up the 12V and 0-10V, you will also need to hook up GND from the VFD control port (port 7) to GND on the BoB (terminal under the 0-10V output). Then you will need to set Parameter Pn 03 on the VFD to 4 (External 0-10V signal).

To have the computer control the on/off of the spindle you will need to hook the relay switched outputs on the BoB to GND and FWD on the VFD control ports (FWD pulled low should be active according to the diagram on page 5 of the VFD manual). The BoB manual doesn't provide much info, but it seems likely that this would be the top right two terminals on the BoB. It would be safest to contact the seller / manufacturer and verify this since the manual isn't clear. You will then need to set Parameter Pn 04 on the VFD to 2 (External signal). Parameter Pn 05 will need to be set to 1 or 3, 2 will not work. Note that this assumes you only want the spindle to clockwise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks seanano,

Its interesting I had done exactly that but had left Pno5 =3. As soon as I changed it to 3, it turned on!
    Unfortunately no matter what speed I put it at, it always goes to the maximum speed....

I'm using linuxcnc and cant work out what needs changing for the speed to change.
    I have noticed that other pwm systems ahve used three wires. Should perhaps BoB P1 "PWM" pin be connected to FWD as well on the VFD?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Surfie View Post
    Thanks seanano,

Its interesting I had done exactly that but had left Pno5 =3. As soon as I changed it to 3, it turned on!
    Unfortunately no matter what speed I put it at, it always goes to the maximum speed....

I'm using linuxcnc and cant work out what needs changing for the speed to change.
    I have noticed that other pwm systems ahve used three wires. Should perhaps BoB P1 "PWM" pin be connected to FWD as well on the VFD?
    No don't do that, FWD can only be connected with the Relay, check the output of the PWM to see if it changes voltage when you change the speed in your control S500 or S1000 Etc this needs to have an output from 0-10v depending on what speed you are using

Mactec54