Linux CNC setup for G540 controller on Chinese 6040

Thread: Linux CNC setup for G540 controller on Chinese 6040

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Linux CNC setup for G540 controller on Chinese 6040

Hello all,
    Yes, I've read the several year old posts about using Linux CNC wiht a G540 but they don't really address the pressing problem I have now.

I bought (like way too many others have done) a Chinese 6040 4 axis router with 800 water cooled spindle. It was originally a USB version. What a crock that was! USB to Parallel. Nothing but a load of trouble. I bit the bullet so to speak and sent the controller box to Aus Gecko distributor for modification to a G540 controller and "anything else that needs doing". That anything else was 2 new power supplies and some tricky wiring to get the 9 pin Gecko stepper outlets to the round original ones. It was tested for functionality (by the distributor of Gecko) to function with Mach3 which I did not have.

I needed to use LinuxCNC version 2.7 which does not have any pre-configured setting for this machine. None of those pre-configured setting will drive the stepper motors. The moment I switch the PC or the controller on, Spindle accelerates to max rpm and the pump starts circulating. Nothing I do software wise will have any effect. I can switch off the spindle but the pump I have to disconnect to stop it. The steppers are locked so there is connection between the controller and the machine but I can't find any setting to get Linux CNC to drive the router.

Can anyone help me please? I could go to more expense and learning buying Mach3 but its up to Mach4 now and no way to control the G540 via USB that I know of anyway. A functional HAL file would be a great start. Even better would be someone using LinuxCNC with one of these beasts on parallel port mode to send me data. Any help is going to be better than none. I'll be hugely grateful for help.

Ryadia

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Linux CNC setup for G540 controller on Chinese 6040

Quote Originally Posted by Ryadia View Post
    Hello all,
    Yes, I've read the several year old posts about using Linux CNC wiht a G540 but they don't really address the pressing problem I have now.

I bought (like way too many others have done) a Chinese 6040 4 axis router with 800 water cooled spindle. It was originally a USB version. What a crock that was! USB to Parallel. Nothing but a load of trouble. I bit the bullet so to speak and sent the controller box to Aus Gecko distributor for modification to a G540 controller and "anything else that needs doing". That anything else was 2 new power supplies and some tricky wiring to get the 9 pin Gecko stepper outlets to the round original ones. It was tested for functionality (by the distributor of Gecko) to function with Mach3 which I did not have.

I needed to use LinuxCNC version 2.7 which does not have any pre-configured setting for this machine. None of those pre-configured setting will drive the stepper motors. The moment I switch the PC or the controller on, Spindle accelerates to max rpm and the pump starts circulating. Nothing I do software wise will have any effect. I can switch off the spindle but the pump I have to disconnect to stop it. The steppers are locked so there is connection between the controller and the machine but I can't find any setting to get Linux CNC to drive the router.

Can anyone help me please? I could go to more expense and learning buying Mach3 but its up to Mach4 now and no way to control the G540 via USB that I know of anyway. A functional HAL file would be a great start. Even better would be someone using LinuxCNC with one of these beasts on parallel port mode to send me data. Any help is going to be better than none. I'll be hugely grateful for help.

Ryadia

I also have this machine and initially started with the USB connection and cracked version of planet-cnc USB controller software they sent me. It worked with the setting file they provided. However after a while I tried it with linuxcnc and it was much smoother, so I dumped the USB/planet-cnc and completely moved to linux cnc which use the parallel port. Linuxcnc is also much simpler than plant-usb software.

With my current settings however, fast jogging is bit rough, so did some tweaks suggested elsewhere to reduce very high latency of the real time kernel. Now it is at around 24000ns which looks good. (Earlier it was around 225000). Now things are much better. Now I am trying to figure out the correct timing values for step time, step space, etc. My current setting may not be correct. But with these setting, machine jogs smooth with a max velocity of around 2000 mm/min.

If you are still looking for the setting, let me know I can provide mine as a starter..

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your comments,
    I suppose we all learn by our mistakes. I haven't seemed to do that! My machine is now back to USB courtesy of an RT stepper dongle that plugs into the port on the controller box. I've had it running quite respectably using Vcarve and Autodesk Fusion to create what I need then feeding the Gcodes they produce into the RT stepper program. Since having the controller modified with more powerful transformers (higher voltage) and ditching the controller card for a Gecko G540, it happily accepts 40000ns. Although I'm using Linux for everything I drive from a PC, I haven't managed yet to set up LinuxCNC to a workable state. Apparently RT Stepper software is based on Linux CNC and is supposed to work OK with that software I have to balance my time between 3 businesses and a disable child. I would welcome a copy of your Linux CNC settings. They will work OK with RT Stepper. My eventual plan is run everything using Linux but its changed so much since I stopped using it 10 years ago that finding the time to organize enough of it to get my head around things and still make enough to live on are at opposite ends of my brain.

If you can send me your file (using my username) at y7mail.com it will certainly go a long way towards getting me 100% on Linux again. Once I get the machine doing everything it is capable of I'll send you back my file and let you know the stuff I import from China to make some items for profit with. I only went back to Windows because a magazine I published under contract needs to have its Postscript file 'distilled' before the printer will print the magazine. This is all Adobe territory. That meant using Windows or being unemployed.

Ryadia

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your comments,
    I suppose we all learn by our mistakes. I haven't seemed to do that! My machine is now back to USB courtesy of an RT stepper dongle that plugs into the port on the controller box. I've had it running quite respectably using Vcarve and Autodesk Fusion to create what I need then feeding the Gcodes they produce into the RT stepper program. Since having the controller modified with more powerful transformers (higher voltage) and ditching the controller card for a Gecko G540, it happily accepts 40000ns. Although I'm using Linux for everything I drive from a PC, I haven't managed yet to set up LinuxCNC to a workable state. Apparently RT Stepper software is based on Linux CNC and is supposed to work OK with that software I have to balance my time between 3 businesses and a disable child. I would welcome a copy of your Linux CNC settings. They will work OK with RT Stepper. My eventual plan is run everything using Linux but its changed so much since I stopped using it 10 years ago that finding the time to organize enough of it to get my head around things and still make enough to live on are at opposite ends of my brain.

If you can send me your file (using my username) at y7mail.com it will certainly go a long way towards getting me 100% on Linux again. Once I get the machine doing everything it is capable of I'll send you back my file and let you know the stuff I import from China to make some items for profit with. I only went back to Windows because a magazine I published under contract needs to have its Postscript file 'distilled' before the printer will print the magazine. This is all Adobe territory. That meant using Windows or being unemployed.

Ryadia

Sure I will send it tonight. Currently on the way to office.
    Btw, Linux changed a lot and became pretty stable during last 10 years so it may be easier than you think...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, you are right about Linux changes. I'd call them improvements myself. The only issue Linux has ever had is that no one is prepared to create software for it when they know in advance they will probably never recover the cost.

About 8 years ago Adobe - who had begun rewriting Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator several years earlier for Linux, stopped all development. They said Linux is script intensive and their software could not be adapted. I read that is they'd have to open their patents to public viewing and compromise their profits by doing it ...something Microsoft has never done and I doubt any of the big software companies is likely to do. I' eagerly wait for your message.

Ryadia

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the delay. Please see my ini file pasted here. I dont think I can attach files...

# Generated by stepconf 1.1 at Sat Nov 19 16:54:10 2016
    # If you make changes to this file, they will be
    # overwritten when you run stepconf again

[EMC]
    MACHINE = user_name-cnc
    DEBUG = 1

[DISPLAY]
    DISPLAY = gmoccapy
    EDITOR = gedit
    POSITION_OFFSET = RELATIVE
    POSITION_FEEDBACK = ACTUAL
    ARCDIVISION = 64
    GRIDS = 10mm 20mm 50mm 100mm 1in 2in 5in 10in
    MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE = 1.2
    MIN_SPINDLE_OVERRIDE = 0.5
    MAX_SPINDLE_OVERRIDE = 1.2
    DEFAULT_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 10.00
    MIN_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 0
    MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 100.00
    INTRO_GRAPHIC = linuxcnc.gif
    INTRO_TIME = 5
    PROGRAM_PREFIX = /home/user_name/linuxcnc/nc_files
    INCREMENTS = 5mm 1mm .5mm .1mm .05mm .01mm .005mm
    PYVCP = custompanel.xml

[MACROS]
    MACRO = touch_plate

[FILTER]
    PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .png,.gif,.jpg Greyscale Depth Image
    PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .py Python Script
    png = image-to-gcode
    gif = image-to-gcode
    jpg = image-to-gcode
    py = python

[TASK]
    TASK = milltask
    CYCLE_TIME = 0.010

[RS274NGC]
    PARAMETER_FILE = linuxcnc.var
    SUBROUTINE_PATH = /home/user_name/linuxcnc/configs/user_name-cnc/ROUTINES

[EMCMOT]
    EMCMOT = motmod
    COMM_TIMEOUT = 1.0
    COMM_WAIT = 0.010
    BASE_PERIOD = 54000
    SERVO_PERIOD = 1000000

[HAL]
    HALUI = halui
    HALFILE = user_name-cnc.hal
    HALFILE = custom.hal
    POSTGUI_HALFILE = custom_postgui.hal

[HALUI]
    # add halui MDI commands here (max 64)
    MDI_COMMAND = O CALL
    MDI_COMMAND = O CALL

[TRAJ]
    AXES = 3
    COORDINATES = X Y Z
    LINEAR_UNITS = mm
    ANGULAR_UNITS = degree
    CYCLE_TIME = 0.010
    DEFAULT_VELOCITY = 10.00
    MAX_VELOCITY = 100.00

[EMCIO]
    EMCIO = io
    CYCLE_TIME = 0.100
    TOOL_TABLE = tool.tbl

[AXIS_0]
    TYPE = LINEAR
    HOME = 15.0
    MAX_VELOCITY = 27.4884259259
    MAX_ACCELERATION = 500.0
    STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 625.0
    SCALE = -320.0
    FERROR = 1
    MIN_FERROR = .25
    MIN_LIMIT = 0.0
    MAX_LIMIT = 384.327
    HOME_OFFSET = -2
    HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -25.000000
    HOME_LATCH_VEL = -1.562500
    HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
    HOME_SEQUENCE = 1

[AXIS_1]
    TYPE = LINEAR
    HOME = 15.0
    MAX_VELOCITY = 27.4884259259
    MAX_ACCELERATION = 750.0
    STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 937.5
    SCALE = -320.0
    FERROR = 1
    MIN_FERROR = .25
    MIN_LIMIT = 0.0
    MAX_LIMIT = 564.783
    HOME_OFFSET = -2
    HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -25.000000
    HOME_LATCH_VEL = -1.562500
    HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
    HOME_SEQUENCE = 1

[AXIS_2]
    TYPE = LINEAR
    HOME = -5.0
    MAX_VELOCITY = 25.0
    MAX_ACCELERATION = 750.0
    STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 937.5
    SCALE = 320.0
    FERROR = 1
    MIN_FERROR = .25
    MIN_LIMIT = -66.2
    MAX_LIMIT = 0.0
    HOME_OFFSET = 2
    HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 10.000000
    HOME_LATCH_VEL = 1.562500
    HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
    HOME_SEQUENCE = 0

Downloads
    Uploads

That's great. Thank you.
    There is also a .HAL file that LinuxCNC uses. This would also be extremely helpful if you don't mind providing it, I will be most grateful. The HAL file is the "Hardware Abstraction Layer" file. It includes (or should) the technical details of which pin is used for control of what and how 'what' actually works in a way that the software can understand. In reality it is this file that makes or breaks how well Linux CNC actually works. When stepgen is used to create your .INI file it also creates the HAL file for your system to function as intended, a properly configured HAL file is essential. That's why I'm asking for that too. There is a 110 page manual about HAL and what it does. Setting up a HAL file is relatively easy if you let stepconf do it for you by checking the file is doing what it is supposed to is the hard part. This is where an oscilloscope comes handy. How to use one is even handier!

Ryadia

Downloads
    Uploads

No problem at all.
    Here is my hal file:

# Generated by stepconf 1.1 at Sat Nov 19 16:54:10 2016
    # If you make changes to this file, they will be
    # overwritten when you run stepconf again
    loadrt trivkins
    loadrt [EMCMOT]EMCMOT base_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]BASE_PERIOD servo_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]SERVO_PERIOD num_joints=[TRAJ]AXES
    loadrt hal_parport cfg="0 out"
    loadrt stepgen step_type=0,0,0
    loadrt pwmgen output_type=1

addf parport.0.read base-thread
    addf stepgen.make-pulses base-thread
    addf pwmgen.make-pulses base-thread
    addf parport.0.write base-thread

addf stepgen.capture-position servo-thread
    addf motion-command-handler servo-thread
    addf motion-controller servo-thread
    addf stepgen.update-freq servo-thread
    addf pwmgen.update servo-thread

net spindle-cmd-rpm => pwmgen.0.value
    net spindle-on <= motion.spindle-on => pwmgen.0.enable
    net spindle-pwm <= pwmgen.0.pwm
    setp pwmgen.0.pwm-freq 100.0
    setp pwmgen.0.scale 1166.66666667
    setp pwmgen.0.offset 0.114285714286
    setp pwmgen.0.dither-pwm true
    net spindle-cmd-rpm <= motion.spindle-speed-out
    net spindle-cmd-rpm-abs <= motion.spindle-speed-out-abs
    net spindle-cmd-rps <= motion.spindle-speed-out-rps
    net spindle-cmd-rps-abs <= motion.spindle-speed-out-rps-abs
    net spindle-at-speed => motion.spindle-at-speed
    net spindle-cw <= motion.spindle-forward

net probe-in => motion.probe-input

net xenable => parport.0.pin-01-out
    setp parport.0.pin-02-out-invert 1
    net xstep => parport.0.pin-02-out
    setp parport.0.pin-03-out-invert 1
    net xdir => parport.0.pin-03-out
    setp parport.0.pin-04-out-invert 1
    net ystep => parport.0.pin-04-out
    setp parport.0.pin-05-out-invert 1
    net ydir => parport.0.pin-05-out
    setp parport.0.pin-06-out-invert 1
    net zstep => parport.0.pin-06-out
    setp parport.0.pin-07-out-invert 1
    net zdir => parport.0.pin-07-out
    setp parport.0.pin-08-out-invert 1
    net astep => parport.0.pin-08-out
    setp parport.0.pin-09-out-invert 1
    net adir => parport.0.pin-09-out
    net spindle-cw => parport.0.pin-14-out
    net spindle-pwm => parport.0.pin-16-out
    net xenable => parport.0.pin-17-out
    net both-home-x <= parport.0.pin-11-in-not
    net both-home-y <= parport.0.pin-12-in-not
    net both-home-z <= parport.0.pin-13-in-not
    net probe-in <= parport.0.pin-15-in-not

setp stepgen.0.position-scale [AXIS_0]SCALE
    setp stepgen.0.steplen 1
    setp stepgen.0.stepspace 1
    setp stepgen.0.dirhold 54000
    setp stepgen.0.dirsetup 53998
    setp stepgen.0.maxaccel [AXIS_0]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
    net xpos-cmd axis.0.motor-pos-cmd => stepgen.0.position-cmd
    net xpos-fb stepgen.0.position-fb => axis.0.motor-pos-fb
    net xstep <= stepgen.0.step
    net xdir <= stepgen.0.dir
    net xenable axis.0.amp-enable-out => stepgen.0.enable
    net both-home-x => axis.0.home-sw-in
    net both-home-x => axis.0.neg-lim-sw-in
    net both-home-x => axis.0.pos-lim-sw-in

setp stepgen.1.position-scale [AXIS_1]SCALE
    setp stepgen.1.steplen 1
    setp stepgen.1.stepspace 1
    setp stepgen.1.dirhold 54000
    setp stepgen.1.dirsetup 53998
    setp stepgen.1.maxaccel [AXIS_1]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
    net ypos-cmd axis.1.motor-pos-cmd => stepgen.1.position-cmd
    net ypos-fb stepgen.1.position-fb => axis.1.motor-pos-fb
    net ystep <= stepgen.1.step
    net ydir <= stepgen.1.dir
    net yenable axis.1.amp-enable-out => stepgen.1.enable
    net both-home-y => axis.1.home-sw-in
    net both-home-y => axis.1.neg-lim-sw-in
    net both-home-y => axis.1.pos-lim-sw-in

setp stepgen.2.position-scale [AXIS_2]SCALE
    setp stepgen.2.steplen 1
    setp stepgen.2.stepspace 1
    setp stepgen.2.dirhold 54000
    setp stepgen.2.dirsetup 53998
    setp stepgen.2.maxaccel [AXIS_2]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
    net zpos-cmd axis.2.motor-pos-cmd => stepgen.2.position-cmd
    net zpos-fb stepgen.2.position-fb => axis.2.motor-pos-fb
    net zstep <= stepgen.2.step
    net zdir <= stepgen.2.dir
    net zenable axis.2.amp-enable-out => stepgen.2.enable
    net both-home-z => axis.2.home-sw-in
    net both-home-z => axis.2.neg-lim-sw-in
    net both-home-z => axis.2.pos-lim-sw-in

net estop-out <= iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
    net estop-out => iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in

loadusr -W hal_manualtoolchange
    net tool-change iocontrol.0.tool-change => hal_manualtoolchange.change
    net tool-changed iocontrol.0.tool-changed <= hal_manualtoolchange.changed
    net tool-number iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number => hal_manualtoolchange.number
    net tool-prepare-loopback iocontrol.0.tool-prepare => iocontrol.0.tool-prepared

Downloads
    Uploads

Fantastic Thankyou.
    I can see immediately a couple of entries that need changing. I'll let you know how it goes with my G540 controller and more voltage than the supplied single transformer has. The firm that modified my control box used 2 transformers. One for the G540 and the other for stuff I'm not not sure of but it works at high speed and ultra smoothly with the RT stepper USB to parallel adapter. I'll start using your settings with a parallel to parallel connection. I might then use the USB to parallel with a more modern PC. After slightly modifying your settings and doing a trial run I'm very confident that with a few refinements (not many) I'll achieve my goal of 100% Linux control in the workshop. The photo is inside the new controller box. I couldn't have asked for more.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Ryadia :

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Linux CNC setup for G540 controller on Chinese 6040-new_controller-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Fantastic Thankyou.
    I can see immediately a couple of entries that need changing. I'll let you know how it goes with my G540 controller and more voltage than the supplied single transformer has. The firm that modified my control box used 2 transformers. One for the G540 and the other for stuff I'm not not sure of but it works at high speed and ultra smoothly with the RT stepper USB to parallel adapter. I'll start using your settings with a parallel to parallel connection. I might then use the USB to parallel with a more modern PC. After slightly modifying your settings and doing a trial run I'm very confident that with a few refinements (not many) I'll achieve my goal of 100% Linux control in the workshop. The photo is inside the new controller box. I couldn't have asked for more.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Ryadia :
    Yes I'd like to know how it goes as I may at some point upgrade electronics. Does this upgrade allow you to control spindle speed from software?

Downloads
    Uploads

You can control the spindle with the software you already have. If you've got a 'NOWANDFOREVER' VFD ...under the flap marked 220 are the connections to control the spindle. The speed adjuster on the front of the box can be programed to hand over spindle control to a variety of programs like USBCNC and Mach 3 or LinuxCNC. There is a Youtube Tutorial here: You can also get a manual for the VFD that gives you all available programming settings for the NOWANDFOREVER VFD.

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll give you the settings to control the spindle in LinuxCNC. They'll only be for a NOWANDFOREVER VFD. Let me know if you have one of these or a different brand. The makers of these machines all seem to buy the structure from the real manufacturer and get the electrics and electronics from various sources in China and even Cambodia. Your controller box could have as many a 4 different brands of VFD. Finding manuals and documentation for any other brand of VFD will rely on searching the 'net. FOr that I prefer to use a search engine called 'duckduckgo' They don't track your movements like Google does so you won't be bombarded with advertising related to your searches for months after.

I've got the router running with the files you gave me. It's quite smooth and much slicker than its ever been. Thank you.

Ryadia

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wonder which linux kernel you are using?

I am using the Ubuntu 12.04 patched kernel to RTAI real time.
    linuxcnc 2.7.9 parellel port . The PC is Dell with parallel port.

The config file can be built by using the Stepconf Wizard. Controller is chinese using the TB67s109 ic.
    Cam is Heekscnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all board members,

I am a newbie here so sorry if I make some mistakes posting that message on this thread, but I also own a 6040 CNC from China the X6-1500 GT from Omion with a USB port. I use as a semi pro to mainly cut Acrylic in 2D for a couple of years now but I would like to extend my work to 3D (or at least 2 1/2D let's call it this way) and sometimes be able to use it with Aluminum (not the main matter yet anyway).
    I am not using the CNC myself as I have a dedicated operator for that but he knows only the basics to use the CNC.
    Sometimes we have some issues as the spindle goes to a weird position and either ruin a work started for some hours or it even does not start at the right position and also ruin a piece of acrylic. after some researches I ended up reading about the bad quality of the original controllers sold with this type of CNC and I've been told to switch to a G540 Gecko. Is this switch is really upgrading the CNC drastically?
    As I am in Indonesia, I have no local supplier for this kind of gear and I contacted a company based in Australia. The company answered me very kindly and with a lot of details but I am still unsure about making myself this modification as it does not seem to be very easy. By seing the picture posted on this thread, it seems the 6040 controller has been modified the same way I would like to do. So I would like to know if there is anywhere on the web where I could find a step by step video or at least with photos, modification to switch from the original components to install properly the G540 inside the original enclosure with all it requires to make it work properly.
    if anyone on this forum could help me with some links or personal pictures to do the modification, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you all.