Problem LOL@Linuxcnc 1000000 ms Latency

Thread: LOL@Linuxcnc 1000000 ms Latency

Downloads
    Uploads

Default LOL@Linuxcnc 1000000 ms Latency

Over one million ms latency on a old Pentium M laptop with a parallel port, this occurs with everything disabled or enabled in bios and speed step at maximum performance. What a mistake I made getting into Linuxcnc I wish I could afford mach3 but I am broke after an Xzero mini raptor and a copy of Aspire (both purchases based on advice here at the forums). Suicide may be a better option then letting my wife murder me for this "investment".

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: LOL@Linuxcnc 1000000 ms Latency

get a different computer. laptops are never recommended for cnc use. they tend to have alot of power management hat interfere, even if you think youve turned it all off.

perfectly usable older pc's cheap, if not free.

dont let the wife kill ya just yet you made the right choice of linux cnc over mach3. just gotta get of the the startup paints.

Downloads
    Uploads

Installed 10.4 9 Aug 2012 from here linuxcnc.org/iso/ I had to use this tutorial How to fix ubuntu 10.04 LTS (lucid) blank Screen at startup | Ubuntu Geek so I could actually see the install and get it to work although the method I used was just the terminal menu at the install prompt. I am running glxgears and watching Pink Floyd pulse on you tube at the same time and my Max Jitter has not gone above 17329, apparently the "Joint-axis feature" is not in the livecd install that I used from that link, is that something I will need on my Xzero Raptor?

Downloads
    Uploads

O_o
    you want linuxcnc 2.7.8
    i dont know where you got that ancient link from.

correct link is here: Getting LinuxCNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    O_o
    you want linuxcnc 2.7.8
    i dont know where you got that ancient link from.

correct link is here: Getting LinuxCNC

The reason I am using the ancient version is because I was getting 1000000 plus latency with 2.7. the other forum https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-install...-latency#87737 is where I was told to give this method a try before I used this laptop as target practice.FYI the "ancient" link was hard to find and that's why I posted it here in case anyone else wanted to fix this absurd latency issue with the newest release.

Downloads
    Uploads

ah. his suggestion seems to mean that the new versions of linux need more resources than the older lappy can handle. makes sense...

but really, just get another computer
    i dont think its worth the hassle trying to make the ol lappy486 do this job. my free to me 9 year old dual amd 2.0ghz whateveritwas usually hung around 4000 max for latency when you let it run for a while. that was a free computer (granted, my free computers come from my vfx studio, so they are pretty heavy duty)

of course the best way is to get a mesa card, and then none of this matters

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    ah. his suggestion seems to mean that the new versions of linux need more resources than the older lappy can handle. makes sense...

but really, just get another computer
    i dont think its worth the hassle trying to make the ol lappy486 do this job. my free to me 9 year old dual amd 2.0ghz whateveritwas usually hung around 4000 max for latency when you let it run for a while. that was a free computer (granted, my free computers come from my vfx studio, so they are pretty heavy duty)

of course the best way is to get a mesa card, and then none of this matters

So the Mesa card makes latency irrelevant? If that's the case could I just get a mesa card and not bother with another computer or can a mesa card only be installed in a desktop ? Will these latency numbers I am currently seeing provide acceptable results without a mesa card?

Also the explanation of the joint axis feature from the Linuxcnc forum.

"""Gantry is running two stepper motors, 1 each side of your gantry. Joint-axis (or JA) includes features to jointly home each side as one. Once the gantry hits the first homing switch, that side stops but the other side continues to move until it hits its homing switch. After that, each side is homed based on offsets in the ini file for each side so that it is easy to square the gantry(just by changing the offsets).The JA code has been added to the current master development branch and is not included in the current stable (Ver 2.7) distribution.""""

I may not even have a use for the JA feature and I have no Idea what other features the updated version of Linuxcnc provide and/or they are necessary for my Router. I am still waiting on the arrival of my Raptor Mini and the Xzero website is taken down so I really have no way of knowing if my machine has the dual motor set up, dose anyone here have that information or any info on the new Linuxcnc versions benefits vs my version?

Downloads
    Uploads

raptor has a single x ball screw and motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

the mesa car needs pci or pci express slots. they do have an ethernet one, but its more "new technology" and may be harder to get going. it also costs more than just buying a new computer.

staples has a few lenovo refurb workstation computers for under $150. i think a few have par ports. easy as pie.

Downloads
    Uploads

So you have a Raptor or Raptor Mini? Honestly I am getting cold feet being the situation with George means I have -zero- support and if there is a problem with the parts or a defective issue I am screwed.

Something like this seems to be better a better option.....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6090...2-4b7b32360be8

If not please tell me why I am paying the exact same price for a 12x42 inch bed with a 7 inch gantry.... is Georges build quality really that superior? A machine that comes in parts with no tech support or part support vs a fully built working machine with a year of support and all the software included.......

Honestly I am ready to drop the ball and send back the parts I already have and cancel the shipment of the rest of the parts from Canada being I can't think of a good reason not too. I realize that what happened to George is not his fault but I bought the machine under the impression there would be support after the sale and I have no guarantee that will ever happen.

Downloads
    Uploads

georges build quality - and hardware - is superior, yes. there is a reason hes sold hundreds and people wait patiently (or impatiently) for them.
    ive had 2 raptors, and i have a predator now, (video), though im reconfiguring that one now so its not running.

the situation with george sucks, from all angles and we dont know when things will get back to normal, but life has to go on and im not even sure what jumping ship can gain you at this point.

for support:
    george would tell you to get a new desktop computer. i know this because he would ask me, and i would tell him to tell you to buy a new desktop computer. laptop have never been supported in either mach3 or linuxcnc.

this is your first hurdle. once you have gotten that far, we can tackle the next one.