Running a SpectraLight 0200 from the parallel port - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running a SpectraLight 0200 from the parallel port

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Jumper Configuration

Can someone who has their mill running please look inside the controller box and tell me what configuration the jumpers inside are.

Thanks, Rex

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by rexhunt View Post
    Can someone who has their mill running please look inside the controller box and tell me what configuration the jumpers inside are.

Thanks, Rex
    Hello Rex,

My controller box is dated 30 July, 1998.

The board is viewed from the back, so that the silkscreen printing is correctly oriented.
    HDR1: NA - Connector
    HDR2: NA - Connector
    HDR3: Back pins closed
    HDR4: Open
    HDR5: Open
    HDR6: Open
    HDR7: Open
    HDR8: Closed
    HDR9: Closed
    HDR10: Right pins closed
    HDR11: Open
    HDR12: Closed
    HDR13: Closed

Hopefully you have the same board as I do. Let me know how it goes.

Shannon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Shannon:
    I build your parallel adapter for the Spectralight 0200 mill, but as I have the old spectralight software, I could not get it to run. The DOS version and the Windows 95 version look for the PC interface card. In Windows I get a message that the interface card had failed, and the same with the DOS version of the spectralight milling program. I have the dongle, but since the computer has only one parallel port I put the controller after the dongle.
    Perhaps there is some generic CNC software you could possible recommend that will work well with a spectralight 0200 mill. Simcerely yours, Maksym

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Maksym View Post
    Hi Shannon:
    I build your parallel adapter for the Spectralight 0200 mill, but as I have the old spectralight software, I could not get it to run. The DOS version and the Windows 95 version look for the PC interface card. In Windows I get a message that the interface card had failed, and the same with the DOS version of the spectralight milling program. I have the dongle, but since the computer has only one parallel port I put the controller after the dongle.
    Perhaps there is some generic CNC software you could possible recommend that will work well with a spectralight 0200 mill. Simcerely yours, Maksym
    My adapter will only work if you use EMC2 or Mach3 or a similar 'parallel port' machine controller. That old spectralight software will never work with my adapter.

Good luck,

Shannon

EMC2 website
    Mach3 website

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SpectraLight cable

Hi Shannon:
    I loaded Mach3 software, but I must be missing something in the configuration file, because the only thing that happens is that the spindle starts when the program is off. I set the parallel port LPT1 to bi-directional, the in MAC-3 configuration for motor output, I set pin 2 X-dir, pin 3 X-step, pin 4 Y-dir, pin 5 Y-step, pin 6 Z-dir, pin 7 Z-step. I did not know how to set up spindle speed, since there is no direction or step to set. What about configuration of motor tuning on the SpectraLight? steps per inch?, velocity? acceleration? Are there any input signals to be set? Most computer operated machines I have used first home the pantograph or engraving spindle at the start. Does the spectralight have any home position? There seems to be a limit switch on the Z axis.
    Have you used your cable with Mach3? What are the best settings? Any information you can provide will be useful. Thanks, Maksym.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Shannon:

Thanks for all the info! I followed your cable adapter off your site to wire up my Spectralight CNC mill and nothing seems to be working. When I click the button to test either the X, Y, or Z axis, the machine makes a loud click but no movement. Is it possible that my black controller box is different that yours and the pinouts being different?

I also wanted to see if you finished the schematics to make the adapter using the breakout boards and charge pump board to allow the computer to control spindle speed. I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
    Shamus
    shamusmyandle at yahoo dot com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Running a SpectraLight 0200 from the parallel port

Can someone Confirm these Connections are the proper ones? Anyone have a archive of the site for the project I would be willing to host it on one of my domains.

Parallel port (Male) Controller box cable (Female) Notes
    1 22 Enables the spindle
    2 6 X Dir
    3 21 X Step
    4 18 Y Dir
    5 20 Y Step
    6 5 Z Dir
    7 19 Z Step
    8 4 Spindle on/off
    13 23 ESTOP Warning: May or may not work, if connecting this causes EMC to stop (thinking the button has been pressed at random times), disable it in the stepconf. Placing a 10uf (and possibly much smaller) capacitor in parallel with this signal and grounding it acts as a filter. Problems with this line were resolved using this technique.
    14 17 Mill Amp on/off
    25 7 GND

CNC Machines: Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Mill W4th Axis | Birmingham 12X36 Lathe W/ CNC Retrofit W/Tormach BOB PathPilot & SKCD200220 VFD | My Personal Blog www.stevenrhine.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I also found set of pin outs after digging on google. Made the Cable and it enable power to the steppers but no movement. Not sure if it is a setting or that the cables do not work or if it needs a bufferd break out board.

MakeryMill - Omaha Maker Projects

EPP Controller
    1 o ->
    2 b -> 6 X Dir
    3 b -> 21 X Step
    4 b -> 18 Y Dir
    5 b -> 20 Y Step
    6 b -> 5 Z Dir
    7 b -> 19 Z Step
    8 b -> 17 Enable
    9 b -> 4 Spindle
    10 i <- 23 EStop
    11 i <-
    12 i <- 13 Home (?)
    13 i -> 24 Limit (?)
    14 o -> 1 Accessory (inverted)
    15 i <- 11 Cover
    16 o -> 2 Chuck
    17 o ->
    18 g -> 7 Ground

CNC Machines: Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Mill W4th Axis | Birmingham 12X36 Lathe W/ CNC Retrofit W/Tormach BOB PathPilot & SKCD200220 VFD | My Personal Blog www.stevenrhine.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone, sorry for being 'out of pocket', my email was flagging notifications as spam. I hardly visit here anymore as I no longer have a mill.

The site is archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20110608...paceopera.org/

However, I no longer recommend this approach. Many people have succeeded, and many more have spends hours upon frustrating hours trying to get this to work. In retrospect I was lucky I got it working at all.

Instead I recommend using controller boards for 3D printers rather than an old PC with a parallel port. They process gcode just the same as LinuxCNC/Mach3. Since all timing issues are managed by the controller board they are very laptop friendly. Finally they are easy to use and quite affordable:
    SainSmart 2-in-1 3D Printer Controller Board 3D Printing, Arduino, Robotics | Sainsmart

To simplify your life, simply replace the existing steppers and the black box with the following:
    Connect the X Y Z axis to low cost stepper motor drivers: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12859
    Connect the stepper motor drivers to suitable stepper motors: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10847

For less than $200 you have a complete conversion that provides silky smooth movement. Also, resist the temptation to 'beef up' the components. I did, and the money was a complete waste. The mill has a difficult time dealing with increased stress and speed. I ended up dialing everything down for reliable operation. Guess what, I ended up with the about the same performance as I had with 120 - 150in/oz steppers.

The final piece of the puzzle is a suitable power supply for the steppers. Something between 3 and 24v @ 6-8Amps will work very well. I had several laying around that ended up working perfectly.

Good luck

Downloads
    Uploads

the Web Archive link is not complete If you still have the HTML i would be more then happy to host it on one of my domains that way it will be preserved in full.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Contract_Pilot View Post
    the Web Archive link is not complete If you still have the HTML i would be more then happy to host it on one of my domains that way it will be preserved in full.
    I moved the information on the parallel port conversion here: https://github.com/shaworth/Spectralight-CNC-Conversion

Note, for some this worked great, others found it to be frustrating and unreliable. I converted my mill over to off-the-shelf controllers and have never looked back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12