How to attatch 2040 extrusion to linear rail bushing block

Thread: How to attatch 2040 extrusion to linear rail bushing block

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to attatch 2040 extrusion to linear rail bushing block

Hello,
    I am using "supported linear shafts" and i need to attach the bearing blocks to a 2040 T slot extrusion... the problem is... the bearing block accepts screws TOWARD it... and the 2040 extrusion also only accepts screws TOWARD it... i have room to use a 3mm thick mounting plate between them without misaligning my machine, does this exist? the only other way i can imagine is to drill holes in the extrusion and screw right through it or to drill my own holes and make my own mounting plate

this raises a new question... HAS ANYONE EVER INVENTED SOME SORT OF JIG FOR DRILLING SUCH HOLES FOR A BEARING BLOCK... im actually kind of sick of fumbling around trying to drill 4 holes exactly perfect for these things or really any such block Ive had the same problem with acme and ball screw nut housings... its kind of the main problem in building CNCs period in my opinion... (outside of the fact that the bearings for supporting acme screws and ball screws are shorter than height of nema motor shafts which literally makes about 0% + 0% = 0% sense but thats a discussion for another time)

much appreciated
    -Joe

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to attatch 2040 extrusion to linear rail bushing block-photo-11-9-17-8-35-pm  
    Last edited by joeamodeo; 11-09-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to attatch 2040 extrusion to linear rail bushing block

Joe,

Are the rails SBR20?
    Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Joe,

Are the rails SBR20?
    Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    the rails are "SBR 12 supported linear rails"

mounting plates would be AWESOME with proper holes for the bearing block as well as holes lined up for 40mm T-slot extrusions. way better than drilling it yourself,

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,

I believe the mounting holes in the rails are 4.5mm, you can purchase a metric set of transfer punches for just $14.95
    from Shars. See attached link:

1mm to 13mm Transfer Punch Set

Temporarily clamp the rail to the extrusion, use transfer punch to precisely mark extrusion and drill perfectly located holes.

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Joe,

I believe the mounting holes in the rails are 4.5mm, you can purchase a metric set of transfer punches for just $14.95
    from Shars. See attached link:

1mm to 13mm Transfer Punch Set

Temporarily clamp the rail to the extrusion, use transfer punch to precisely mark extrusion and drill perfectly located holes.

Jeff...

i dont think that is going to work, mainly because the bearing block has blind holes... so i cannot use the bearing itself as a template for making marks... this is the entire problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,

If you do not have the resources to make a drill jig or template for the bearing block why not purchase one additional block and use a drill press to drill straight through the bearing creating a drill jig in the process. Sacrificing one bearing block would most likely be less expensive than paying someone for a drill jig.

Three dollars and a few minutes of time, problem solved.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBR12UU-12m...YAAOSw42JZCYWw

Jeff...