Need Help! Ball screw size and pitch - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ball screw size and pitch

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ball screw size and pitch

Quote Originally Posted by jahnj0584 View Post
    For what its worth, my 1500mm long X Axis (130+ lbs) can be rapided at 400ipm with the dual 2005 Y axis (425 ozin motors). My acceleration is somewhere around 30ips2
    Are you saying that's a good or bad lead choice or it just is what it is for comparison?

Some of the Nema 23s, low inductance, and the highest voltage power supply can do OK at higher RPMs. 30 ips2 is about 0.077G and that is a very light gantry, especially if it includes everything with the gantry including Z axis, motors, everything that moves back and forth.

I think you could do much better with 10mm. I would need a torque vs speed graph and motor rotor inertia number to definitively determine that. Then I could calculate it, and we would know for sure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im happy with what it is. The gantry is 60" of 80160 extrusion, 20mm rails, a 25mm ballscrew, 1.5kw spindle, 3/4" gantry plates and Z axis. It took 2 people to get it up on the table to mount. "heavy" is all subjective here anyways.

475ozin. 3.5mH. torque hits 1.0x at 900rpm or so then goes slowly down from there. Im supplying 48V. The ballscrew is good till 1550rpm before whip is a concern.

Luthier/Woodworker/Machinist in NS, Canada.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a different machine from the one we are talking about in the other thread?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12