Need advice on best way to achieve this linear motion.

Thread: Need advice on best way to achieve this linear motion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need advice on best way to achieve this linear motion.

I'm wanting motorize my adjustable "go-bar" deck. Basically, two adjustable horizontal surfaces with flexible rods between them which allow me to apply clamping pressure anywhere on a surface.

I'd love to have it as a cabinet with a top that "raises up" to form the clamping surfaces in the void under the top, then goes back down to be used as a regular workbench when not in use.

See pictures of "down" and "up" positions:

the four support columns can be round or square, doesn't really matter. The space just needs to be clear underneath. I just want a simple switch "up" and "down", and have it stay in the position when
    the switch is in neutral.

My thoughts are:

1) some sort of ball screw setup where the ball screws are the actual column? Would need to mount the motors on the top then?
    2) simple rack and pinion with a motor on each column?
    3) is there a way to do with the just one motor and gears/chain driving all four shafts?
    4) can it be done with just two motors or one if good sliders used on the others?

Thanks.

Need advice on best way to achieve this linear motion.-untitled-jpg

Need advice on best way to achieve this linear motion.-untitled2-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need advice on best way to achieve this linear motion.

There are many ways to approach this design. One way would be an Acme threaded rod at each corner with a chain drive and a single motor. Ball screws would not be the best, they are not self holding like an Acme thread is. From a cost standpoint, any type of screw lift might be the most expensive, and certainly more difficult to build. A rack & pinion would not be a good choice for this application.

The simplest and least cost way would be to lift it with a foot operated hydraulic jack, just have the jack lift a central plate that is attached to all four columns. This is a common method for lift tables. If there is a reason you need it to be powered, then an air operated hydraulic jack would be my choice, or it could be electrically operated with a small hydraulic pump.

Downloads
    Uploads

Guitar-making?!

If it were me, the four legs would be internally connected with another platform, and I'd use a couple scissor jack assemblies to raise/lower the assembly. Would be a lot simpler and cheaper than making 4 rotating nut mechanisms synched together with chain or timing belt.

Gear racks on all 4 posts with two jack shafts running the pinions, connected together with timing belt and pulley, is another idea.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Guitar-making?!

If it were me, the four legs would be internally connected with another platform, and I'd use a couple scissor jack assemblies to raise/lower the assembly. Would be a lot simpler and cheaper than making 4 rotating nut mechanisms synched together with chain or timing belt.

Gear racks on all 4 posts with two jack shafts running the pinions, connected together with timing belt and pulley, is another idea.
    True. I considered that, but then I miss out on storage below!

Downloads
    Uploads

If precision isn't a huge deal I'd even look at four lengths of course allthread with each supported by a toothed pulley (with the matching thread in the middle so they spin, the allthread moves) supported by a pair of tapered bearings to allow load lifting and lowering/clamping. Run a belt around all four with the drive motor on a swivelling plate that can be locked in place to tension the belt and you're ready to rock and roll

Downloads
    Uploads

Whats the load / speed / accuracy required ?

I would suggest use of a centralized lift point like a flat steel plate, driven by one mechanism.
    A car scissor jack for 30$ might be a good, fast, cheap, strong mechanism, that comes out for storage.

Downloads
    Uploads

Instead of legs, use or make them out of pneumatic cylinders