Just In -- Designing HD aluminum extrusion +

Thread: -- Designing HD aluminum extrusion +

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking -- Designing HD aluminum extrusion +

Hello again everyone. I mostly lurk around here, but the time has come once again to accomplish something.

Basically I am designing and planning on producing an aluminum extrusion with integrated gear rack and linear slide system, also it will be compatible with nema 34 motors.
    Think openbuilds, but more heavy duty.

I got a lot figured out so far, such as how to calculate deflection, and a way to efficiently integrate a steal gear rack. The gear rack will not protrude outside if the extrusion.

The V slot concept seems fairly appealing, but I am also considering other options (more steel).

I would like the finished product to be affordable, and if I succeed, building heavier machines will be easier than ever.
    Figured I'll start a thread here, as this was the place that inspired me to build my 5x10 CNC plasma.

Once again, emphasis on Heavy Duty, 5x10 cnc router for example.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by SunDown242; 03-29-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: -- Designing HD aluminum extrusion +

Question #1.
    So I am calculating deflection with 150 lbs of force centered across 6 ft with sides simply supported; I feel like those are pretty good numbers.
    What would be an acceptable value. I am imagining 3+ hp router/spindle.

An 8020 extrusion 40-8016 (40 series 80mm*160mm) should do about .15mm in this scenario, and I am guessing that is a bit overkill and would weight about 48 lbs just for the extrusion.

Downloads
    Uploads

So I am calculating deflection with 150 lbs of force centered across 6 ft with sides simply supported; I feel like those are pretty good numbers.
    What would be an acceptable value. I am imagining 3+ hp router/spindle.

An 8020 extrusion 40-8016 (40 series 80mm*160mm) should do about .15mm in this scenario, and I am guessing that is a bit overkill and would weight about 48 lbs just for the extrusion.
    You said the emphasis was on "Heavy Duty", but what you just described is what I would consider light duty, at least for a 5x10 machine.
    I'd want the deflection to be around .02mm with 250lbs of force.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose medium duty, enthusiast level. A balance of strength and cost. Still learning all these things. Costs associated with those tolerances would be far too high.
    It's just that now, there is not much available in this field.
    Reinforcing the specifically designed extrusion with steel would be an option.
    I just feel like making a 5x10 router with things like makerslide is just a ridiculous idea.

I think 80x160 is a good profile size to use, still at 8lbs/ft.

So I noticed that on a lot of machines rectangular profile extrusions are set up with the longest(strongest) side on the Z, I imagined that machines undergo more force on X and Y, am I wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads

Building a 5x10 with any extrusion for a gantry is not really a good choice?
    And what are you using for linear bearings? V rollers?

Is there a market for what you're designing? A big steel tube and real linear bearings (Hiwin) would be less expensive than your extrusion will probably be, and will be far superior.
    You'll be sacrificing a lot of performance for ease of use, which I wouldn't be willing to do in a 5x10.

So I noticed that on a lot of machines rectangular profile extrusions are set up with the longest(strongest) side on the Z, I imagined that machines undergo more force on X and Y, am I wrong?
    That depends on how they're used, but cutting forces are usually less than the weight of a Z axis and the carriage it's mounted to. I think twisting is more of an issue.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The general idea is to make a product that would be affordable, and capable to grow; to create a path from a hobby to a business. Incorporate rigidity and ease of use.
    This is one of the current ideas (attached). 40mm base, so 120x160. It is slightly lighter and noticeably stronger than 8020's or Misumi's 80*160. Capable of accepting V-wheels right on the extrusion(though I guess I should change it to 45 degrees), the rectangular slots on top and bottom will fit .5 inch gear rack (with some 3M vhb tape). If there is a side unused, it can be reinforced with 160 mm wide plate of any material. There is no reason not to bolt some 80mm*160mm steel angle to it if you really want to go nuts. I have lots more ideas. Need to incorporate a way to easily attach steel v rail (still requires research).

I may scale the whole thing down. I can imagine people purchasing this for a gantry due to ease of set up, but at 8lbs per foot, its not really going to be cheap. I would expect something along the lines of $40/ft retail.
    Deflections are .12mm and .3 mm, compared to 80*160 profile's .15 and .51.

This is something I am going to create, as well as I can, and soon. It may be a different design, it may be smaller, but it will happen.

All ideas and comments appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -- Designing HD aluminum extrusion +-render-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Misumi has a 100 x 200 profile that's pretty rigid, probably about $50-60/ft. Can be ordered with 2 sides milled flat. As a guy who made his first machine with bearings riding on aluminum tube, I can say that it' something I wouldn't do again...