Lead screw end machining

Thread: Lead screw end machining

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lead screw end machining

Is it necessary to machine the ends of the lead screw or can you directly mount the ends in a bearing without machining them? Was planning on having one fixed end(coupled to the motor) and one supported end.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lead screw end machining

I guess it would be possible to attach the motor without machining, but it's normally not done. Not sure how you would control the endplay without some machining for the thrust bearing on the motor end. On the support end if you could find a bearing that would fit the lead screw OD then I guess that would work since it just floats.

I think I see some lead screw machining in your future.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I figured I couldn't get out of it haha.
    Side question, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but would a ball screw end support unit be fine for a lead screw application?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sarahb View Post
    Is it necessary to machine the ends of the lead screw or can you directly mount the ends in a bearing without machining them? Was planning on having one fixed end(coupled to the motor) and one supported end.
    It's not a good idea at all. You will get a lot of flexing and vibration. The floating end of the screw should match the bearing seat tightly. The fixed end must be attached to the bearing seat with a screw and a set screw to make sure that it is the bearing which takes up all the load, not the motor. The bearings in the motor are not made for the job and you will get serious accuracy issues if your screw is just attached to the motor, and the motor will also be destroyed pretty fast.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I just recently added ballscrews to my CNC router. I was amazed that most vendors appear to have standardized the end machining and support bearings. It appears that parts are interchangeable from different vendors. Ebay also has a lot of different lengths available and I was able to find 1050mm lengths off the shelf. Many vendors say that they will provide a custom length at no or minimal extra charge.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sarahb View Post
    Thanks, I figured I couldn't get out of it haha.
    Side question, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but would a ball screw end support unit be fine for a lead screw application?
    It should be fine.