First time builder need some answers/advices about belt drives

Thread: First time builder need some answers/advices about belt drives

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default First time builder need some answers/advices about belt drives

Hello guys, it's my first post so I feel like I need to introduce myself.

My name is Jovan I am 23, woodworker, heavy DIY-er and kind-a graphic designer. When I was 19,20 I had a wish to earn and buy myself a CNC machine, as years go buy I didn't had job, or steady income, so I kind-off forgot about that.

Few months ago I started to search about diy cnc, just to saw is there anyone who maybe built it buy himself. And wholaaa, hundreds and hundreds of people are making it, dont know why, but I am still really happy about it

Thing is, let's say I am poor,compered to you guys. I live in a country where monthly sallery is about 400euros. (ex yugoslavia, not india, lol ), luckily I managed to save some cash, and have around 500euros +/-
    .................................................. ...............................................
    This is what I have been planing for

FRAME AND TABLE (still working on design)

benchtop steel frame 1m x 1m (39x39 inch), similar to Momus design just with steel tubes, not sure yet will I use 5x5cm or 4x6cm, 2mm thicknes, they are the same weight but I think 4x6 will give it more sturdyness. (maybe I use both, not sure yet) .

working area aprox 800mm

LINEAR MOTION

skate bearings directly on 5x5 (or 4x6) because I am not able to find cold rolled or hardened steel in my countury (check the picture)

MOTORS AND DRIVE

4x Wantai Nema 23 425oz (2 on X axsis)

Belts HTD 3M 15mm width, with 1:3 reduction on every axsis (15t:48t)
    .................................................. .................................................. ..................

I read and re-read a lot of times on this forum that "belts aren't for wood working they are for laser cutter and 3d printers"

Then I find Momus design, wooden cnc that are using 9mm belts, and getting really decent accuracy. So I am a bit confused there.

My question would be

Can I get a decent accuracy for woodworking with 15mm belts, and do I need wider belts ?

What kind of error's are made by belts so they are not good for wood router?

Do I need Belt on Belt system ? (how much of improvement is that on the acuraccy)

.................................................. ..........................................

I want to create souveniers, engravings, jewlery, sings, wall art,

Any experience, advice, or anything is more then welcome