Ground ballscrew...

Thread: Ground ballscrew...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ground ballscrew...

How exactly are ground ballscrews made? I'm sure they start off with some pretty accurate diameter shaft, then use some sort of lathe apparatus to cut the threads. Or do they use a grinder? I'm guessing the screw on the lathe must be pretty accurate.

I'm asking because I'm looking into getting some linear motors, with a tool post grinder, and setting something up to make ground ballscrews. The linear motor would act as the screw, and result in a very acurate lead on the screw. Just wondering if anyone has information on how they are made.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No one has any info on this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Essentially they machine cut a special "thread" (ergo a ball groove) and surprise, they GRIND the groove to the desired radius'd shape after final heat treat.

A very precise lead screw drives both the cutting tool and the finish grinder.

Natually, supporting the shaft is critical to keep the flex from distorting the groove or compromising the accuracy of the groove lead and shape.

Downloads
    Uploads

Why would they not use a rolled thread ballscrew as a blank ?? and then grind it ??

Bill