just received an acme screw and delrin nut.. Question about tightness

Thread: just received an acme screw and delrin nut.. Question about tightness

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default just received an acme screw and delrin nut.. Question about tightness

The delrin nut seems to turn pretty easily on the screw until maybe 5 turns in, where it becomes pretty hard to crank by hand.

How tight should it be?
    Should I be able to turn it by hand without putting much effort?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blau_schuh View Post
    The delrin nut seems to turn pretty easily on the screw until maybe 5 turns in, where it becomes pretty hard to crank by hand.

How tight should it be?
    Should I be able to turn it by hand without putting much effort?

Thanks
    If the No indicates Norway my (not serious) suggestion is wait for summer; Delrin has a large coefficient of thermal expansion.

Downloads
    Uploads

As a rule of thumb that I adopted when building my cnc.... If I could not turn the lead screw with my thumb, index and middle finger (on my 5/16" nut and while it was fully assembled with the motor attached) then I would fine tune that axis more. I found that if I couln't trun it that way my 269 oz. stepper that was attached "in-line" with the lead screw would stall. At least that is what I experienced.

Justin!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Small question about Geofs coment. Now I understand why my leadnut is stalling out my steppers in the cold mornings. I have to heat up my building for 1 hr to jog my router. Could this be the problem. Oh yea I am using UHMW lead nuts. ( homemade)
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    If the No indicates Norway my (not serious) suggestion is wait for summer; Delrin has a large coefficient of thermal expansion.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tager_rot View Post
    As a rule of thumb that I adopted when building my cnc.... If I could not turn the lead screw with my thumb, index and middle finger (on my 5/16" nut and while it was fully assembled with the motor attached) then I would fine tune that axis more. I found that if I couln't trun it that way my 269 oz. stepper that was attached "in-line" with the lead screw would stall. At least that is what I experienced.

Justin!!!
    Hmm, I just got a replacement delrin nut from the seller. same thing. REALLY TIGHT! I basically need to grab the delrin nut as if I'm gribbing an orange and crank at it. at least there is no backlash

what do you mean by "fine tune"?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by planekrazie View Post
    Small question about Geofs coment. Now I understand why my leadnut is stalling out my steppers in the cold mornings. I have to heat up my building for 1 hr to jog my router. Could this be the problem. Oh yea I am using UHMW lead nuts. ( homemade)
    Steve
    whats UHMW?

Downloads
    Uploads

UHMW = Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene - "poor man's teflon". Cruise around on www.mscdirect.com - they have UHMW, Acetal, HDPE - all kinds of plastics and they sell small quantities.

EDIT - Try www.mcmaster.com instead - they have a much better selection for raw materials.

EDIT - Or try this site - it's a bit slow, but there is a large variety of plastics - www.professionalplastics.com

Scott

Last edited by mxtras; 12-06-2006 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added another link
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now I see why its a poor mans teflon. It liks to freeze up in cold weather causing my steppers to stall. What to do, What to do. How bout rack and pinion?