MX4660 Power questions

Thread: MX4660 Power questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MX4660 Power questions

Looking over the installation guide it shows two leads from supply and ground into the MX4660. Can someone elaborate on this for me?
    Should I come off of two power and ground terminals or split them. Or does it even matter?
    Also, Some diagrams show a shunt regulator inline. Is this only necessary for linear supplys? I have a chinese regulated switching supply. Will back EMF have an effect with a switching supply?
    I really dont want to have to replace those tiny onboard fuses because I used an estop.
    Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by JSantars; 05-04-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JSantars View Post
    Looking over the installation guide it shows two leads from supply and ground into the MX4660. Can someone elaborate on this for me?
    Should I come off of two power and ground terminals or split them. Or does it even matter?
    Also, Some diagrams show a shunt regulator inline. Is this only necessary for linear supplys? I have a chinese regulated switching supply. Will back EMF have an effect with a switching supply?
    I really dont want to have to replace those tiny onboard fuses because I used an estop.
    Thanks in advance
    Did you find an answer for this? Im considering buying the mx4660 and wondered this same thing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aceboogy View Post
    Did you find an answer for this? Im considering buying the mx4660 and wondered this same thing.
    No. Not yet ace. Build has been on hold. Once I get around to the electronics again I'll probably contact automation tech or leadshine regarding this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aceboogy View Post
    Got a hold of leadshine USA and spoke with a nice fellow named Chris that said each line connector is rated 10A. That's why there are two for both power and ground. Since I'm using a 8.3A supply I'll be using only one power and one ground connection between the supply and driver. If I had a larger supply say 12A or above and I knew I'd be drawing that current then I would use two power and ground pins.

As far as the cap and shunt regulators go: This is to protect the MX4660 when using switching power supplys. I thought they would be more necessary with a linear supply, but the caps are smaller in a switching supply. So it was explained anyways.

I was referred to email support to get further detail on what shunts or what size caps are recommended.

I'll post when I get an email back from support.

Also, Chris said the manual will likely be updated in the next few weeks for clarity on these things.

Last edited by JSantars; 05-28-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MX4660 Power questions

Received an email back overnight from product and application engineer Vic C.

"The capacitor size needed depends on load, supply voltage, motor speed, and motor specifications. We will provide an application note which offers testing results with different size caps. based on different supply voltages, motor speeds, and motors for our customers. I think we will finish it in one or two weeks.

Please kindly wait for a moment and welcome to contact us if you have other questions."

So, it looks like I'll be playing the waiting game on this one for a couple more weeks. Not a problem for me as my build still needs some mill time.

If you have a 4660 please tell us about your experiences.

Downloads
    Uploads

Recevied mx 4660 early in March and have been upgrading bits and pieces of my router table.Busy putting together xml profile for Mach 3 and get this thing running again!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by malgazz View Post
    Recevied mx 4660 early in March and have been upgrading bits and pieces of my router table.Busy putting together xml profile for Mach 3 and get this thing running again!
    Did you try the mach3 profile from leadshineusa?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have looked at all the xml profiles published on leadshine usa and china and automation.
    I got a reply back from service dept in china, they also sent me xml file.
    This xml has motor output settings that don't correspond to the installation manual.
    I have mechanical limit switches and do n
    ot get a signal from them when any of them are triggered.
    There was a lot of motor noise, turned down the current settings on the dip switch now have less noise and only on the Y and A axis motors.
    Sent a further mail to svc dept and awaiting reply.

- - - Updated - - -

I have looked at all the xml profiles published on leadshine usa and china and automation.
    I got a reply back from service dept in china, they also sent me xml file.
    This xml has motor output settings that don't correspond to the installation manual.
    I have mechanical limit switches and do not get a signal from them when any of them are triggered.
    There was a lot of motor noise, turned down the current settings on the dip switch now have less noise and only on the Y and A axis motors.
    Sent a further mail to svc dept and awaiting reply.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JSantars View Post
    Received an email back overnight from product and application engineer Vic C.

"The capacitor size needed depends on load, supply voltage, motor speed, and motor specifications. We will provide an application note which offers testing results with different size caps. based on different supply voltages, motor speeds, and motors for our customers. I think we will finish it in one or two weeks.

Please kindly wait for a moment and welcome to contact us if you have other questions."

So, it looks like I'll be playing the waiting game on this one for a couple more weeks. Not a problem for me as my build still needs some mill time.

If you have a 4660 please tell us about your experiences.
    Did anyone get back to you with the recommended capacitors and shunt regulator?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bwthor View Post
    Did anyone get back to you with the recommended capacitors and shunt regulator?
    I am JOHN ,an application engineer from Leadshine
    We have a document special for shunt regulator and capacitor information .
    Would you mind telling your email , i can email you this document

John
    Application engineer
    Leadshine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Leadshine View Post
    I am JOHN ,an application engineer from Leadshine
    We have a document special for shunt regulator and capacitor information .
    Would you mind telling your email , i can email you this document

John
    Application engineer
    Leadshine
    Thanks John, I'll PM my email to you.

Any reason you don't have this posted on your site, or share it here for others to see?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bwthor View Post
    Thanks John, I'll PM my email to you.

Any reason you don't have this posted on your site, or share it here for others to see?
    I don't know how to attach the files here .but if anybody want this file , please email me directly .
    john@leadshine.com

John
    Application engineer
    Leadshine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The above link expired - This link should be more permanent...

Here is the shunt regulator and capacitor information document from Leadshine...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MX4660 Power questions-regeneration-energy-dissipation-store-using-mx3660-mx4660  

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. This past weekend I was making some parts and went to move the gantry out of the way. I ran it to the far end (fast) and stopped. Cleared the parts, installed the new blank and returned - nothing. Unit was in estop. On further investigation I found that one of the gantry Y axis drivers was in an over-current fault. Unplug motor and the unit looks OK but connect any motor to that module and I get the over-current alarm. I guess it is fried.
    I ran the gantry (over 200 lbs) at fairly high speed using the shuttle pro connected to mach 4 and just let the knob go at the end (not an estop as the paper suggests). However It is still dead one week shy of one year old.
    Contacting the distributor for a replacement, I also bought a 50v shunt reg and 2x10000 uf 100v caps to add on to prevent this happening again. However I need the replacement driver to do some tests and do some scope captures of the waveforms.
    I am running with a 48 v linear supply (with 20000uf of filter capacitance on it already) and 380 oz-in nema 23 motors on all axis (doubled on the Y - driving from both sides) . I had done a bunch of high speed testing trying to set the fast rapid speed and accel but no problems then. Maybe at this point things were abit warm (but it was under a 10 min cycle ) and then the voltage spike did it in?
    Hopefully I will get a warranty replacement but it is disappointing that this potential issue was not brought forth earlier and especially with the popularity of dual gantry drives (which will certainly compound the voltage spike problem) . Plus Leadshine using 63 v rated caps on a 60v supply is just holding things too close for comfort (I ordered 100v caps to allow for some voltage head room) .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What was the outcome of this. Mine just did this tonight. 1 flash on my driver 1 port. 3 flashes on the other driver ports. Can't reset it. I do have an extra sdm660 driver, but I've not cut a single thing with my router and already the controller is dead. All I have done is move the gantry around a bit!!

Downloads
    Uploads

The unit was replaced under warranty.
    I have no had further failures after adding the capacitors and shunt reg/ clamp.
    So far so good. I have not done a lot of routing yet. I am now in the middle of a big furniture project., but I also tortured the system doing some 3D printing as well (lots more movements and reversals than routing).