A little help please for a newbie.

Thread: A little help please for a newbie.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default A little help please for a newbie.

Hello there, this is my first post as I just joined up after building a CNC router for some basic hobby use. I have drawn some basic shapes to hopefully cut with my router in thin ply for radio controlled plane parts. I converted to dxf format to be used on Lazycam which worked fine. The shapes are there with the chains numbered and all looks pretty good. My problem is now getting these designs/shapes into mach3 and cutting on my router. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong as I have followed a few tutorials but it seems Mach3 cannot recognise these drawings like the format is incorrect???
    I hope someone can help as I am so close to cutting my first part but just not quite there. Cheers Trent

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A little help please for a newbie.

Input to Mach3 is normally G-Code created using CAM Software, I personally use Fusion360 I find its very good and free to hobbyists and startups with inder 100,000 turnover.
    You can design import DXF and create G-code in one place in fusion360 equivalent software is prohibitivley expensive for hobbyists.

Downloads
    Uploads

LazyCAM should be able to process those drawings, along with some parameters you supply, like the size of your tool, and whether you want to cut on the inside, the outside, or down the middle of your lines, and spit out some G-code, which is essentially a text file. This is what Mach3 is looking for, not a drawing.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

LazyCAM is at times a shade obscure and frustrating ... I know.
    But it can and does create g-code from DXF files, and that g-code will run under Mach3. I use it a bit to make engraved PCBs from DXF files.

The secret is to spend some time figuring out the options, checking the generated code via the display in Mach3, and TAKING NOTES of what works and the right sequences. Note that you have to define the tooling first: nothing works until you do that (ime).

On the other hand, the menu for Mach3 still lists DXF inputs, and that does NOT work. No-one ever bothered to take it off the menu.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

On the other hand, the menu for Mach3 still lists DXF inputs, and that does NOT work. No-one ever bothered to take it off the menu.
    It's not in my menu? What version are you using?
    I think it may be possible to add it to the menu, as my Mach3 File menu has V Carve Pro in it. Possible a registry setting?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gerry

Ah ... you are right.
    It was in the menu for .042 I am sure, but it is not in .062. Shows how often I use the File menu these days!

Cheers
    Roger