Adding Laser to CNC

Thread: Adding Laser to CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Adding Laser to CNC

I have a Chinese 6040 and looking to do some engraving work mostly on plastic/acrylic.

Have a few questions:

1.) I have a Gecko 540 and use Mach 3, will I be able to use Mach 3? If not, does software that works with Gecko 540 for laser engraving exist?

2.) What software do I need to generate the ?NC? code? (is it even called NC code for laser engraving?)

3.) Looking for laser recommendations. Ebay is selling mostly complete machines. In terms of price range, not sure, I haven't seen how much these things cost yet. Ebay's complete machines go for 200 bux which is suspiciously cheap.

I found this on another forum:

"The diode lasers don't go much higher than 2 watts, which can be useful for engraving wood and for cutting things like paper or thin cardboard. They're small and easy to install and use safe voltages. The diode is sensitive to ESD and needs a special constant-current power supply (a laser diode driver), but it's fairly robust mechanically. Diode lasers are typically blue, and they're extremely dangerous to the eyes (viewing a brief reflection can cause permanent eye damage)."

so sounds like diode lasers are out.

P.S. I'm working with a machine that does 1400mm/min speeds, so not looking for record breaking performance here.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Adding Laser to CNC

Any laser capable of cutting things (and even those that don't) is going to damage your eyes severely if it's reflected into them. That's why laser cutters have full enclosures and safety interlocks. Bolting a laser head onto your 6040 is asking for trouble. If you really want a laser cutter, buy one.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach 3 can only vector cut. That’s a limitation of G-code. So no photo engraving. Check out GRBL controllers for cheap roster engraving.

Besides the eye hazard also realize that you are burning material so consider the room your running it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the best laser controler o run with laser diode ? The controller to run stepper motor is in the same card with laser controller ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach3 laser photo engraving video:

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.