50w laser chinese power supply

Thread: 50w laser chinese power supply

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question 50w laser chinese power supply

Hello there,
    We have a 50w laser cut machine in our fablab.
    And every 3 months we need to buy a new Powersupply from ebay...

I m wondering if someone got the same problem or have an idea to solve this.

Note :
    • We dont use intensivly the machine.
      Our current is 220v and stable
      We notice that when we change cooling water, every month , we got some better performance to cut, (like water become capacitive around the tube and pump energy...)
      We mostly use the machine to cut 3mm mdf, or engrave stuff....
      We noticed that to cut we use 60% of power, and when we engrave 100% of power (if note we have some difference of power during the engraving)

looking forward to some replies and help !

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 50w laser chinese power supply

Wow, something doesn't sound right with regards to your power supply. I know lots of people have replaced their original power supply, but not every 3 months! A few notes:

1. I don't use 220V (as I am in the US and use 110V for my 50W machine) so I don't know your electrical system, but maybe something is wrong with your grounding system? Have you had an electrician test your circuit to make sure it is working correctly?
    2. With regards to the cooling water, in 2 years I have never changed the water in my chiller, just added to it when it gets low. I can't imagine that the water itself would have much effect on performance, as it is only used for cooling the tube. Water temperature will have an effect on power, the cooler the better.
    3. Do you have an ammeter on your machine? For these 50W Chinese lasers (which are actually 35-40W tubes based on their length) you are not supposed to drive them past 18-20mA. Every power supply is different, but on mine (and I have heard from others as well) 20mA is approx 60% power.

-robertk925

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 50w laser chinese power supply

Quote Originally Posted by robertk925 View Post
    Wow, something doesn't sound right with regards to your power supply. I know lots of people have replaced their original power supply, but not every 3 months! A few notes:

1. I don't use 220V (as I am in the US and use 110V for my 50W machine) so I don't know your electrical system, but maybe something is wrong with your grounding system? Have you had an electrician test your circuit to make sure it is working correctly?
    2. With regards to the cooling water, in 2 years I have never changed the water in my chiller, just added to it when it gets low. I can't imagine that the water itself would have much effect on performance, as it is only used for cooling the tube. Water temperature will have an effect on power, the cooler the better.
    3. Do you have an ammeter on your machine? For these 50W Chinese lasers (which are actually 35-40W tubes based on their length) you are not supposed to drive them past 18-20mA. Every power supply is different, but on mine (and I have heard from others as well) 20mA is approx 60% power.

-robertk925
    Thank you robert for your feedback.
    We ll add an ampmeter to check power... and not go over 20mA as you suggest...