power supply adaptation for 90W Reci tube

Thread: power supply adaptation for 90W Reci tube

Downloads
    Uploads

Default power supply adaptation for 90W Reci tube

Is it safe and possible to use a lower power laser supply, say a 60W power supply for, say, a 90W CO2 laser tube? I know we need to keep the mA down during operation so we don't shorten the tube life. The downside of a lower power power supply is that you won't likely get full power from your laser. But, isn't it true that you can run your laser with this lower power supply just as you would run a matched supply at lower output to conserve laser tube life--especially if you don't need full power. I would appreciate someone clearing this up for me. I had trouble finding a thread that addressed this so I apologize in advance if this has been covered plenty before.

Thanks again for any help.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: power supply adaptation for 90W Reci tube

I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe that if the trigger voltage needs are met, then you *should* be able to run a higher power tube with an underpowered supply. Within reason of course.

An advantage may be finer power control for etching. A power supply that closely matches the needs for upper and lower power limits for engraving would exhibit finer power control, than a similar one that outputs higher power, because power control would have to occur over a narrower band of it's full range.

Hope that makes sense. And to repeat, this is just me theorising, not real world experience with hobby lasers. Although I do have industrial experience and find that finer power control over etching is best achieved with a laser of lowest power.

From an industrial (multi kW) view, there's also issues with using power at the very lowest end of the machines capabilities, where there's an initial burst of higher power, which settles down to a lower power level over a period of ms. An example of which would be etching on clear acrylic, where the beam-on will leave a deep etch that may even pierce the sheet, but after a few ms the power levels out and you get an even depth etch. With every beam off/on event resulting in a very brief excess of power. Whether this is due to the resonator, power supply, or some sort of brief dwell I don't know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: power supply adaptation for 90W Reci tube

Hey, thanks for the response. I tried it and it seemed to work fine. Had no problems as long as the power limitations were built in or programmed in. Thanks again for your help!
    Sorry about the late response.....