Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rebuild log Universal Laser Systems 25PS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rebuild log Universal Laser Systems 25PS

Quote Originally Posted by cgerber View Post
    Hi Adrian,
    I see, the homing you are describing makes sense to me now. I ran into this same problem when I upgraded to DSP control. I am not sure exactly why, as this was a couple years ago for me, but I wonder if the original control had some sort of delay, or traveled extra steps after first seeing the flag. I fixed it on my machine by drilling and tapping new mounting holes and relocating the photo eyes. It is interesting in that I had to relocated both the X and Y home photoeyes, about the same distance for both if I remember correctly.

Chris..
    Hi Chris
    In the end I decided to move the Y sensor back 30mm - which helped with the X axis most of the time !!
    The trouble I have now is that if the X is already near that end - it hits the bar until Y arrives at home.
    I have decided to fit an IR proximity device for X at the opposite end from where it is now ( more logical 0,0 point with the ruler ) - that way it just has to break the beam rather than physically locate. Will finally try the laser this weekend and see if it has any life left ?!

Adrian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LaserBoyUK View Post
    Hi Chris
    In the end I decided to move the Y sensor back 30mm - which helped with the X axis most of the time !!
    The trouble I have now is that if the X is already near that end - it hits the bar until Y arrives at home.
    I have decided to fit an IR proximity device for X at the opposite end from where it is now ( more logical 0,0 point with the ruler ) - that way it just has to break the beam rather than physically locate. Will finally try the laser this weekend and see if it has any life left ?!

Adrian
    Adrian I have a working V460 ULS laser in my shop I if you need any voltage readings or something I can look at on this machine just let me know. I am in the process of getting a small China made rotary working and all I need is just what wire or pin do I need to ground or otherwise to make the machine recognize the rotary. I have the stepper motor wiring hooked up and on boot up it rotates and then locks the steppers in the material holding mode.

Bill G in Iowa

Downloads
    Uploads

Project is not dead yet.
    Had some time while waiting on parts for another project so pulled out the stepper driver plate and worked on it some more.
    I think I am going to go with a motion board (smoothie board family) as the controller as they now have support for rastering.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cgerber View Post
    Hi,
    I enjoyed your you tube videos, and I am anxious to see more of your project. I too have a ULS25PS that I have had for a couple years. Surprisingly, my Synrad laser was still working, but just died recently. Not bad for almost 20 years old. Since then I have totally upgraded the controls to DSP, and in the last few weeks have been changing out the laser to a glass tube with updated PS.

One thing is for sure, the ULS25PS is a great base of a machine to start with as it is built like a tank, and with a 24X18 XY area, it can handle larger (at least for me) projects. This is just a fun hobby for me, I have almost had more fun upgrading my machine than the actual engraving.

Looking forward to your continued progress on this machine!!

Thanks. Chris...
    Do you have details of how you wired the dsp to the rf laser?

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    This is copied from my similar response earlier in this thread:

I ran my ULS25PS with DSP Control and the original RF Laser for a while. The two connections of the coax (shield and center conductor) were wired to the Laser output on my DSP control to the terminals marked GND (shield) and PWM (center conductor). The software parameters will require the the Laser type to be RF. Worked very well for me.

I am curious on your project, what DSP control are you using, and I would be very interested in some installation photos, curious to see how you use the existing space in the control area for your DSP controls.

Thanks. Chris...

Downloads
    Uploads

Chris, I have a universal M-300 that's been too iffy in the Y axis to be reliable any more.
    I've established it as a motherboard problem.(Not long beforre it went funny, I'd had the tube regassed at $4800 Aussie dollars.)
    I managed to buy an inexpensive V-400 for spares, with 2 dead tubes, and I'd hoped the motherboards were the same, but they were not.
    The V-400 came with a spare power supply, and a spare motherboard, but neither will initialise or boot up properly.

So... I'm after recommendations on a controller (RD6442G ?) and drives ( Leadshine, or the cheaper 2M415.2M542?), power supply (though perhaps I can still use the UNiversal one to power the controller), plus your recommendation for tube & power supply for that - thinking I'd like to make it say an 80watt chinese water cooled unit - or even put the M-300's tube onito the bigger bodied V400, and use it.

That is assuming I cannot get a useable 2nd hand motherboard for either the M-300 or the V400.

I'd appreciate any recommendations or tips or advice, thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I am not familiar with the controls on the M300, but I can tell you that I am very pleased with the AWC608 controller that I installed in my old ULD25PS. Being happy with that, I recently purchased the AWC708 controller and I am in the middle of that upgrade. Being an industrial controls guy for most of my career, I almost spend more time wiring, improving, and upgrading almost more than I do actually engraving. This is just a hobby for me, I don't do production runs or high volume, so I updated my machine on somewhat of a budget, but I will say the 2M drives have been working just fine, no quirks or problems at all, but you need to set them up right. I also really like that my controller is connected to my home Ethernet network, transferring files from any computer in my house is a breeze. The network setup is very simple, but I can imagine if someone is not familiar with that side of things, it could be a little tricky to get it to work.

Keep us posted on your project.

Thanks. Chris...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Chris,
    I ended up buying a 2M415 & two 2M542's... they're due to arrive in 2 weeks. I already have the Ruida RDG6442G controller that I bought to put in the other laser, so I 'll try that, and see if one or half the Universal double power supply works to get that going.
    If so, I can think about fitting a CO2 tube inside the ULS aluminium ceramic tube holder, and getting it electrified...

Yes, running a laser or any digital equipment via a network lead is so much better than USB! (or parallel lead!)

Last edited by Stewey; 10-17-2017 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123