Need Help! To Identify Fuse Needed. 50w Chinese Laser Cutter

Thread: To Identify Fuse Needed. 50w Chinese Laser Cutter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default To Identify Fuse Needed. 50w Chinese Laser Cutter

Hi all,

I need to identify what amp fuse I need for the fuse situated just below the power supply socket on the case of the laser cutter. Its a 50w Chinese Laser Cutter. I have attached an image to show where the fuse is situated.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails To Identify Fuse Needed. 50w Chinese Laser Cutter-1503328974770-1664221176-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: To Identify Fuse Needed. 50w Chinese Laser Cutter

without details of your machine

I guess it will have a 150W power supply for the stepper drives
    assuming only 50% of the power to the laser control produces the 50W of laser light , your machine requires 250W input

a 20mm 1A fuse if your mains is 240V or 2A fuse if you have a 120V supply will be the minimum fuse size to try

as the stepper drivers and laser are powered by switch mode supplies that take a large surge current at switch on

you may have to use fuses four times the above values to avoid nuisance fuse failures

4A for 240V or 8A for 120V

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John, thank you for your reply. Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm in the UK so my machine is 220v. I checked and the fuse was a 20mm type and on the casing it states is a 250w fuse only.

So to be safe I should go with a 4 amp fuse?

Thanks

James

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    without details of your machine

I guess it will have a 150W power supply for the stepper drives
    assuming only 50% of the power to the laser control produces the 50W of laser light , your machine requires 250W input

a 20mm 1A fuse if your mains is 240V or 2A fuse if you have a 120V supply will be the minimum fuse size to try

as the stepper drivers and laser are powered by switch mode supplies that take a large surge current at switch on

you may have to use fuses four times the above values to avoid nuisance fuse failures

4A for 240V or 8A for 120V

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: To Identify Fuse Needed. 50w Chinese Laser Cutter

I would expect the fuse to have 240V not 240W stamped on it as well as the current

if its a clear glass fuse you will be able to see a straight fuse wire if its a quick blow fuse
    and on some anti surge / Time Delay fuses a spring as well as " AT" stamped on the end cap

for mains fuses, 20mm ceramic fuses are available , very like the HRC 1" fuse in the 13A UK plug
    the ceramic tube and sand fill is better at containing the explosion and copper plasma in the event of a short circuit
    glass fuses can damage the fuse holder in the event of a short circuit

the 4A should be OK

you could have a look inside the control box ,
    and have a look if the stepper driver & laser power supplies have labels stating the fuses used
    add the two currents up and use the nearest mains fuse

if you can find the manual have a look in there

John