Vertical tube OK?

Thread: Vertical tube OK?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vertical tube OK?

To save floor space I am thinking about building a 100W CO2 laser with the tube mounted vertically.
    I have the ceiling clearance and I realize I might have to use a step ladder for optics adjustments.
    Are there any other problems or considerations to think about?
    Bertho

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vertical tube OK?

I can think of three areas. Check with the tube supplier if it's ok, Make sure you get good water flow a meter or so up and the biggest issue might be beam stability. Horizontal is pretty stable but you might see machine movement causing the tube to move which will throw off your alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    I can think of three areas. Check with the tube supplier if it's ok, Make sure you get good water flow a meter or so up and the biggest issue might be beam stability. Horizontal is pretty stable but you might see machine movement causing the tube to move which will throw off your alignment.
    Thanks for replying.
    I have since learned that a vertical tube is not a good idea since any air bubbles would be right at the end mirror.
    Bertho

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what that means. The mirror is in CO2 and I haven't had bubbles since going with a chiller that draws water from a tank. Maybe I also don't have bubbles since going to 100% RV antifreeze. But I'll believe it if you got that from a manufacturer. Don't trust everything you read on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk