Finding Used Laser Components...?

Thread: Finding Used Laser Components...?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Finding Used Laser Components...?

I recently built my second gantry style router cnc machine at home with about a 2ft x 2ft cutting area. I'm finally starting to get alittle bored with just the wood router and I'm thinking about trying to add a laser to the table so I can use the router and laser. I would like a CO2 laser because of the cutting capabilities in addition to the engraving. The problem I am facing is that I would like to use it to produce products but at the moment it would just be for personal use and with thousands of dollars in student loans, I cant justify the purchase of new equipment at the moment. Does anyone have any ideas of good places to look for either used components or even possibly a used setup (power supply, laser tube, mirrors?, etc.) ? Any help would be greatly appreciated, the idea is to hopefully start making alittle money on the side that I can throw into my student loans and start eating away at them a bit while using my income to live off of.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Finding Used Laser Components...?

Keep in mind when you add a laser to your CNC machine you also need to add an enclosure and add additional safety interlocks to avoid damaging your eyes or an observer's eyes or skin. The laser is a fantastic device and many are extremely powerful. There are rules about selling lasers, that is probably why you will find it difficult to find exactly what you need. Most of the Chinese lasers are cheaper than just some of the parts for American made lasers. Reading on the zone most people seem to think the Thunderlaser company from China has machines that seem to work and don't breakdown right away. Probably the most common compliant on Chinese laser machines on the Zone is they stopped working. The laser no longer fires or the machine stopped moving. Some people use laser diodes for engraving, but CO2 laser is much more involved with mirrors, lenses, etc. This would probably be a pretty good investment unless you have a good business model to make some money. Best of luck to you.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Seems like all the thunderlaser ones are larger and cost around $5000. The reason I'm looking for used stuff is because I cant afford anything over $1000 which is one of the reasons I want to use the existing cnc machine as the motion control for it so I only need to purchase the laser components.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can build a router then go ahead and build a laser cutter. Less engraving photos use the same controller. Start with a frame and add three slides to get x-y. You know how to do that. Then purchase a 40w tube and ps from Lightobject. Pump water thru a radiator with ice and you are cutting. Enclose it in mdf and buy a bathroom fan and exhaust out a window. Forgot the optics. I'm sure you could stay near a grand. Remember that if you don't build it you will never own one.
    I have both machines and the laser has far more capabilities. Your on the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I would love to be able to use the existing machine if possible to avoid having to buy another controller :/ Does anyone have a good reference for somewhere that has a fulll list of everything needed to run the laser? I can figure out the motion stuff but I don't know whats required for optics, sizing a power supply, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Check out Lightobject.com Support Forum - Index page There is a list in one of the sub forums of all the items required to build a laser. Or buildlog.net - CNC Laser Buildlogs. I've built my own, the original 40w tube lasted 3 years, I just replaced it yesterday.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lazorus View Post
    Check out Lightobject.com Support Forum - Index page There is a list in one of the sub forums of all the items required to build a laser. Or buildlog.net - CNC Laser Buildlogs. I've built my own, the original 40w tube lasted 3 years, I just replaced it yesterday.
    Do you have a total cost for your 40w setup?

Downloads
    Uploads