Adding an LED ring light to the router

Thread: Adding an LED ring light to the router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Adding an LED ring light to the router

After fooling with flashlights to see the tip of my router bit, I decided to install an LED ring light on the air deflector. I bought item AE80-NW48-BK, which is an 80 mm diameter bright white LED array that runs at 12 volts. They make these as “angel lights” for dressing up car headlights. It cost $11.95 plus shipping.

To power it, I set up a 12 volt DC power supply I had hanging around (the light draws 180 mA, so even a wall-wart should be fine) and ran the wires all the way to the router head. I installed a connector, so if I decide to remove the air diverter it just unclips.

In the photos, you can see an overview of the light it puts out (it is quite bright), a close-up of the light shining, and a close-up of the ring light from the side, where you can see it as a black ring. Note that you can also see the black DC connector and the beige DC plug I used ar the right rear of the defelctor– it’s what I had lying around.

This upgrade really makes it easier to see what the cutter is up to, and eases zeroing up the axes and bit changes too. Have fun!