5Start Nuts

Thread: 5Start Nuts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 5Start Nuts

Well I am building the krmx01 CNC Router. In this design there are two 5 start nuts on each carriage.(x carriage, z carriage and the 2 y carriages). Given that these nuts are almost 35 bucks each...would only one nut per carriage suffice?
    Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of the 5 start nuts?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The BOM lists the regular $18.50 each nuts from ccnrouterparts, and probably calls for 2 per screw to get rid of backlash and add strength, you could probably get away with using a single $34.95 dumpstercnc style nut on each axis, but it's not going to save you much money.

Sent from tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. The only ones I could locate at first were the Dumpster nuts which are nearly $35.00 bucks from CNC Router Parts. Now I've found the cheaper ones
    for $18.50. I guess I'll go ahead and get the 18.50 nuts and go with the 2 nuts per carriage as the book describes.

Jim

These are the nuts the build calls for:
    Single Piece ACME Nut - CRP108-00 | CNCRouterParts

The DumpsterCNC Acme nut assembly will not work without making changes to the design. They are not direct replacements as stated on the web site.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    These are the nuts the build calls for:
    Single Piece ACME Nut - CRP108-00 | CNCRouterParts

The DumpsterCNC Acme nut assembly will not work without making changes to the design. They are not direct replacements as stated on the web site.
    These are the dumpster nuts were talking about http://www.cncrouterparts.com/dumpst...mbly-p-36.html and they are a direct replacement for the style you linked to.

Sent from tapatalk

Here is the thing. The Nuts are plastic. The $18 nut and the $34. Both wear and get back lash. I use two nuts so I can tune out the backlash. Any CNC that uses plastic nuts for the X and Y axis is going to require perodic maintance due to the wear on the nuts. The harder you push the machine the the more you will wear the nuts. Two nuts (any type) will reduce the wear.

Also as stated above, The $34 nut is not a direct replacement. It will not fit the build without modifications to the design.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you ever used dumpster/nook style anti backlash nuts? They compensate for wear, backlash stays pretty constant, which is 0-.002" in my experience over a time period of 3-7 years on two separate machines, run hard every day. The original cncrouterparts nuts are pretty bad in comparison, the o rings never really got rid of backlash, and dried up and cracked in just a few weeks, zip ties fixed the backlash until I put the dumpster nuts on-now it's not even a thought.

The older machine originally had double delrin nuts and was a pain to adjust, and keep adjusting. The dumpster nuts were just the ticket for it.

What's different in your design compared to cncrp or fineline? The nuts drop right in to them. Are you running them back to back with a spacer?

Sent from tapatalk

I dont disagree about the original CNCRotuerParts ACME nuts. I had a KRMx01 that I converted over tot he newer dumpster nuts. It ran better. I disagree abotu the dual nuts though. Two nuts do hold up better than single nuts as long as the machine was designed to use two.

I have many dumpster nuts. They are still plastic, You put loads on them and they will wear. You have to understand, my primary machine is the KRMx02. This is a heavy duty machine and I have three in operation. I use them in a production environment up to 8 hours a day. Maintanance is key. I use the Dumpster nuts on the Z axis only and it holds up ok.

On the X and Y axis they dont hold up. I currently have one KRMX02 that I converted to five start ACME screws and Dumpster nuts. The nuts hold up ok as long as I dont put them under heavy load.

Bottom line is they are plastic.

Listen, the Dumpster Assembly nuts are better than the originals, however they are not dropin replacements on the KRMx01. You are on your own to make them fit. I have done it in the past and they do work better. And yes, a single Dumpster Assembly nut is better than two of the original nuts. Two Dumpster nuts wear even less over time.

I dont want to sway anyone away from using the Dumpster Assembly nuts, I use them on my Z-axis on the KRMx02.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well...the nuts that I have mounted on the machine are the Dumpster Nuts($34 version). The website said they were drop in replacements.
    They DO appear to be physically bigger than the $18 version. That would mean that the axis of the nut sits higher above the surface of whatever it is mounted to...I suppose. Is this the reason why Mike says they won't work? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I install the motors and lead screws.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wxgeek View Post
    Well...the nuts that I have mounted on the machine are the Dumpster Nuts($34 version). The website said they were drop in replacements.
    They DO appear to be physically bigger than the $18 version. That would mean that the axis of the nut sits higher above the surface of whatever it is mounted to...I suppose. Is this the reason why Mike says they won't work? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I install the motors and lead screws.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182130

Sent from tapatalk

Default Re: 5Start Nuts

Udate!!!
    I started a dedicated web page for the new nuts. You can find the forum entry here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/kronos...tion-page.html

The page can be found here:
    KRMx01 ACME Nut Changes — Kronos Robotics