Its been awile since I updated where were at with the mill, so here I go.
We have finished the X axis ball nut mount and it works perfectly. We were able to tighten down the gibb so that with the nut not installed it is really hard to slide the saddle, but with it installed it takes no effort at all to make it move. Were very happy with it.
We have also been working on the Y axis screw but it has been very hard going. No matter how hard we try and how careful we are the screw wobbles when it is installed in the bearings. Were working on welding a shoulder on to the end near the bearings to try and help the problem.
We have mounted most of the electronics in the enclosure, including the heat-sink for the geckos, the transformer, rectifier, cap, and the contactors and relays. We added a fan and some air intake ports to the enclosure also. As kind of a novelty thing, we put the fan on a thermostat to regulate the temperature inside the enclosure. The shop is not heated all the time, so in the winter it will be cold, so the electronics will keep themselves warm instead of cooling off even more. In the summer the fan will run keeping them cool.
The computer as been hooked temporarily up to a C10 bob which controls a solid state relay, which controls the spindle contractor. This board is going to be replaced with a C11T and the C10 will just be used for extra inputs. For main power we ran a new 30 Amp circuit to the machine and got a 4 pin dryer plug and outlet. This cord goes into the enclosure and into the main power contactor. From the main contactor it gets dispersed out to the spindle contactor, and other parts that need power.
We received the 3 servo motors on friday the 11 and were very surprised that how big they actually were. The picture looked like they were big, but theses things are huge.
We also got our encoders on the friday as well. They are 1024 line ball-bearing mounted encoders that are sealed. They were 15 bucks a piece and the guy threw in a fifth one for free!
We decided to mount round weatherproof electrical boxes to the back of the motors to house the wiring connections and the encoders. This will allow us to use 1/2" seal-tight connectors with 3/8" seal-tight for conduit for the wires.
We fabricated both the X and Y motor mount brackets last weekend, and finished the Z this weekend. For the X and Y we used 3/8" aluminum sheet and cut the brackets out from stencils that I made with solid-works. They were cut with mostly a chop saw, table saw and a band saw. They were cleaned up with a drum sander and files, then textures and smoothed out with an orbital sander. The Z axis mount was made from a piece of 1/4" aluminum sheet, a piece of steel angle, and a piece of 1/2" steel bar. We simply mounted the aluminum inside the knee inline with the knee screw, and mounted it with the 2 pieces of steel. It is very rigid and will work great.
As for pulleys, we bought 3, 40 tooth size L (3/8" pitch) 3/4" wide steel pulleys with double flanges and 3 10 tooth 3/4" wide aluminum pulleys from econobelt.com. The 40 tooth ones came with 5/8" ID holes which worked fine for the X and Y, But I had to bore out the Z pulley to .7874" or 20mm to fit the stock screw in the machine. I did this with a 3/4" drill bringing it to .750" then using a boring bar, I brought it out to the final ID. All 3 of the small 10 tooth pulleys had to be drilled out 5/8" to fit on the motor shafts. This was also done with my lathe. These were just chucked, checked with a dial indicator to be centered and then drilled with a 5/8" drill bit.
I will leave off here with some pictures. I will be posting some videos tonight, for I will be installing the belts and applying power to the motors to see it move. -Adam
Picture 1: New Cabinet Door Seal
Picture 2: X axis Ball Nut Mount.
Picture 3: Enclosure fan, 30 amp dryer plug, and seal-tight to motor
Picture 4: Rectifier and cap with spindle contactor
Picture 5: Electrical Box with panel installed
Picture 6: Motors and Encoders next to med. Mc Donald's Cup
Picture 7: 1024 Line Encoder
Picture 8: Y Axis Motor Mount
Picture 9: All Six Pulleys