Clausing Kondia FV-1 CNC (3-axis)

Thread: Clausing Kondia FV-1 CNC (3-axis)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Clausing Kondia FV-1 CNC (3-axis)

I have an opportunity to buy a Clausing Kondia FV1 cnc for a very reasonable price. Before I make a decision, I would like to get some feedback from some people who have used this machine.
    The FV1 is a CNC knee mill. The specific machine I'm looking at was new in 1992 and has a Dynapath Delta 20 CNC system. It was very well taken care of and appears to be in excellent mechanical condition.

Any feedback and opinions on this machine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default re: fv1

Brian,

I am new to this forum. I have a similar tool, maybe a year or two older. I have been using it as a manual machine in the jog mode. I have yet to learn the controller, as my documentation is incomplete. The iron seems bulletproof! I am into mine for $5500 inc delivery. I am not sure if that is good or not. The machine has low hours. Even the paint and stenciling on the pendant are intact. I don't how well these wear with normal use and care. Right now, I am trying to decide; learn the dynapath 20, or upgrade to a pc type controller. I am not computer savy, it can be a pain to work off line and then import to the Delta 20. I would like to keep the motors and drivers and just upgrade the controller (if possible).

While setting up the machine to run with my phase converter, I called just about every componet manufacturor. All were helpful in getting me going. Baldor motor, Dynapath (whatever they are called now), the driver maker, even Clausing helped get me going.

I hope that this has been helpful to you.

good luck,

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Craig-

You mentioned setting up for use with your phase converter, are there any problems you had to get it going?

I just got a manual Kondia knee mill and am having problems getting my motor to run with my phase converter. It is just a motor and a switch! I didn't think I would be having any problems....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

bradodarb,

your post does not state if you have static or dynamic converter. is your converter adequate for the motor load? some eu motors are a little fussier than american motors are, as to the quality of power going to them. make sure that the motor is wired for low voltage. any accessories such as power feeds or lubricators should not be connected to the manufactured leg. there should be fuses as well as contactor with correct heaters in line with the motor switch. be sure that the contactor coil is supplied with the correct voltage. (this goes back to not using the manufactured leg to operate the contactor coil). be sure all connections are tight. be sure the wire is sized to handle the loads from the mill. try to get a copy of uglys electrical referances (isbn 0-9623229-2-x). this book answers most of my 3 phase questions. i am not a licenced electritian, nor do i play one on tv. please check with a local electrician familiar with 3 phase wiring.

any other members, please correct my advise to this member, if i am leading him the wrong way.

let me know how things work out for you.

craig

i hope this helps you

*Registered User*
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DynaPath/Clausing/Kondia CNC

Hey there

I had no experience w CNC when I bought this used machine, 3-axis CNC on the advice of a relative with vast experience in this industry. He told me mine would be an excellent 1st or 2nd machine; said the DynaPath has a LOT of built-in features that you'd have to pay a LOT to get today, if it was available. I was told that mine/your machine was introduced back when PC-based CNC was rel young...(think 286s w 4MB RAM---WOW! & the operator had zero computer or programming experience & zero CAD/CAM There was no software OR it cost $50K...so the mill itself had to be easy to use.
    It was very daunting to me at first. But I went 1 step at a time. I still have lots to learn.

My teacher showed me how to run the mill & & checked my installation & showed me that the D'path has a lot of conversational capabilities. It is not too difficult once I was shown the basics. As well I have successfully created a part in MasterCam & imported it into my D'path and cut the part. Conversational is much easier than Mastercam....but does have some limitations

I bought a 7hp rotary converter. I can send my diagram of my hook-up if this helps. This layout has the blessing of my teacher/relative.

I upgraded my control from a Delta 10 to a Delta 20....so I can do 'drip-feeding' ....an apt term for inputting a large part program into the mill's rel small memory, feeding the code as-needed + some other features. SWapping out the control board was vey easy.....a child could do it.

You can get service/parts at
    www.partsandsmarts.inc
    www.cmcsystems.com/techtips_servod.html#amps
    Dynapath (Paul Barnhardt)
    www.dynapath.com/

Hope this info helps.

Dogstar in Vancouver BC

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help,

I took the static converter to the local motor shop and found out that I have a bad capacitor. It won't cost too much to repair, but I have decided to also buy a VFD so I can change speeds from the CPU. I think getting a copy of that electrical manual sounds like a good start, know of an online version?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Good Iron!

Clausing imports Kondia.

Hurco owns Dynapath.

I used to run a Hurco KM3 (which is built on a Kondia Knee mill) and we ran it like crazy ( 2 shifts ) for about 13 years until the Hurco control died. (blown CRT's and memory board)

The Iron, ballscrews and servos are still in great shape, to bad the company won't fix it. (They use it to store vises.)