Need Help! Supermax YCM-30 retrofit

Thread: Supermax YCM-30 retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Supermax YCM-30 retrofit

Happy St Pat's all! I have a few questions about a Supermax mill. A family member who owns a job shop has 2 YCM-30's coming up for sale. The shop purchased them 2 years ago from an industrial college for a reasonable price. They are equipped with Allen Bradley Bandit IV controllers which are functioning. The mills aren't going to work out for them as they don't have tool changers.

He offered one to me for what he has into it-$3700.00. They both have Bt-30 spindles and come with Erickson collets and chucks, endmill holders and shell mill arbors. Wondering if that is a reasonable price for them machine.

My plan would be to strip the controller off, retain the Baldor DC servos and upgrade to Centroid All in one D.C. Control. A concern I have is unless I can sell the old control for parts I'm going to have about $6600 invested in a refitted Series 1 knee mill. I see functioning Hurco Hawks going anywhere from $4000 to $7500 which have Cat 40 spindles and more mass. Looking for opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Supermax YCM-30 retrofit

The price seems reasonable, maybe a bit on the high end of the range, if the machine is in good mechanical condition. I would continue running the Bandit control until it dies. Make some money with the machine then use some of the profit to upgrade the machine later. When I bought my machine, I ran it with the antique Anilam control and paid for the upgrade with one job.

The tool holders have some value, they are not cheap.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Jim. I looked at the ways which are in very good shape although they are ground and have no flaking. It looks like it was built that way.

They are using the mills now but ran into issue trying to post. The AB controller uses a parallel port or a serial port (don't remember which) which is no longer supported by Windows 7 or newer so he can't use current software to load code generated by BobCad or Inventor HSM etc. Unless I could use a Win XP computer with Inventor 6 that I have but still wouldn't have Cam that would post. That would be my issue as well. I am not interested in loading complex code by MDI as the last time I programmed a machine was 20 years ago on a Fanuc EDM. I'm not sure how useful the mill would be in its current state unless I could figure out a way to post to it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does that machine have the hand wheels on it? If so, I would be all over it. I understand the issues with the post and communications. What one of my customer's did was have an intermediate computer that translated the communications for a antique Fanuc controller. That way they could develop the parts on a modern computer. AutoDesk is pretty responsive in developing new posts for their software, they did a special for me for their Fusion 360/HSM.

Another option for controller software is mine. I give it away for free.

Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't have hand wheels per se, it has knurled knobs on both x and y. The moron photographer took a couple useless pic- gonna have to fire that guy!Supermax YCM-30 retrofit Hope this gives an idea of the vintage.

HSM has contacted me about a post, however I haven't gotten back to them as this isn't my machine and my brother in law can't rely on my computer when I can't be there regularly. If I decide to go ahead with purchase I would talk to Autodesk and see if there would be a solution until I could upgrade control.

Going to try and talk to old employer who uses current Hurco VMCs and see if his dealer has a decent used Hawk for sale. When I worked there they had a Hawk as well as the VMCs. He sold the Hawk a few years ago, don't know for what price but was a useful machine. The Hawks seem to be more robust and if the Ultimax software is functioning the mill would be useful as soon as it's powered up. Man I hate forks in the road!Supermax YCM-30 retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like you have it under control. Decisions decisions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MillNut View Post
    Happy St Pat's all! I have a few questions about a Supermax mill. A family member who owns a job shop has 2 YCM-30's coming up for sale. The shop purchased them 2 years ago from an industrial college for a reasonable price. They are equipped with Allen Bradley Bandit IV controllers which are functioning. The mills aren't going to work out for them as they don't have tool changers.

He offered one to me for what he has into it-$3700.00. They both have Bt-30 spindles and come with Erickson collets and chucks, endmill holders and shell mill arbors. Wondering if that is a reasonable price for them machine.

My plan would be to strip the controller off, retain the Baldor DC servos and upgrade to Centroid All in one D.C. Control. A concern I have is unless I can sell the old control for parts I'm going to have about $6600 invested in a refitted Series 1 knee mill. I see functioning Hurco Hawks going anywhere from $4000 to $7500 which have Cat 40 spindles and more mass. Looking for opinions.

I can help you get them up and going. I've got mine working with Fusion 360. I've been documenting my progress although I'm much further ahead of this on a website I started. www.thisoldmill.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you KSU! Just checked out your site. When I get home I will download the Fusion Post and take a look at it. If I go forward and purchase the mill the biggest hurdle will be setting up communication between old hardware and Win7/Inventor. I plan on using a vfd for spindle power as my current Bridgeport uses an ABB vfd. Your site gives a nice explanation of the vfd conversion.

Jim, I thank you for pointing out how expensive the NTMB 30 tooling is!! All totaled my BRo in law is including over a $1000 in tooling!! This makes the potential purchase of the YCM more enticing! After doing more research I decided the Hurco plan isn't for me, especially since I would need to purchase Qwik Switch or Cat 40 tooling.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you KSU! Just checked out your site. When I get home I will download the Fusion Post and take a look at it. If I go forward and purchase the mill the biggest hurdle will be setting up communication between old hardware and Win7/Inventor. I plan on using a vfd for spindle power as my current Bridgeport uses an ABB vfd. Your site gives a nice explanation of the vfd conversion.

Jim, I thank you for pointing out how expensive the NTMB 30 tooling is!! All totaled my BRo in law is including over a $1000 in tooling!! This makes the potential purchase of the YCM more enticing! After doing more research I decided the Hurco plan isn't for me, especially since I would need to purchase Qwik Switch or Cat 40 tooling.

You're welcome... The whole time I was figuring out how to get my YCM-30 up and running I just kept thinking 'wow, there are a lot of steps here', maybe I should document some of this so others won't struggle as much as I did. Additionally, there wasn't a lot of documentation readily available, so after I scraped up the user, install, and pal guides I absolutely made sure they could be downloaded from my site. My biggest problem is how to get others to find all this data.

Hold off on downloading the post, I have an updated version to get on there. The one up there now has some issues with helix/arcs.

-Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

I am assuming since you are using Fusion 360 your Cad/Cam computer is running Win 7 or 10? How are you posting the code to the Bandit? Brother in law wasn't able to use a Win 7 computer to post from BobCad to Bandit. I don't know if he tried a USB to parallel adaptor. Support staff at BobCad told him Win 7 won't support parallel port transfer. I have Inventor 2014 with HSM Works on a Win 7 laptop. USB or Ethernet output. Can put a PmCIA card in the laptop if PMCIA supports a parallel port.

Paul.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am assuming since you are using Fusion 360 your Cad/Cam computer is running Win 7 or 10? How are you posting the code to the Bandit? Brother in law wasn't able to use a Win 7 computer to post from BobCad to Bandit. I don't know if he tried a USB to parallel adaptor. Support staff at BobCad told him Win 7 won't support parallel port transfer. I have Inventor 2014 with HSM Works on a Win 7 laptop. USB or Ethernet output. Can put a PmCIA card in the laptop if PMCIA supports a parallel port.

Paul.

Paul,

I really need to get more on my website related to this end of things.

So I'm using a brand new laptop (win 10) to do all my CAD and CAM work, which does not have a serial or parallel port. Serial and parallel ports are a thing of the past sadly...

I have another old PC (win 7) connected to the AB 8400MP / Bandit because it has a serial port. Notice I said serial port, my old PC didn't have a parallel port...and a parallel port isn't need either. However, if you use a serial port like I did, you'll have to make or buy a serial to parallel connector cable - which isn't a big deal, and I can help with that too. I have no idea if a USB to serial/parallel device will work with the AB 8400MP / Bandit or not, some old devices are cranky about working with them I'm told.

Since my new laptop and old PC are on the same local network at my house, I just dump the G code out on the network, and pick it up on the old PC to do the transferring to the AB 8400MP / Bandit.

To transfer the G code from the old PC to the AB 8400MP / Bandit I'm using DNC software : dead easy to use : RS232 transfer between CNC and PC. I've found its pretty much necessary to use DNC or drip feed the old AB 8400MP / Bandit, because it doesn't have enough memory to transfer much of a program over completely. The DNC software I'm using helps with some other issues too, the AB 8400MP / Bandit can communicate at a max baud rate of 9600. It also turns out you need some character delay as well for the transfer to work without issue, and the DNC software helps with this.

I'm happy to help my friend, we'll get you up and going.

-Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Mike. After I posted question I started looking up parallel to USB connectors. I'm not a super electronics geek from the old days- I know many of them though.Supermax YCM-30 retrofit I usually stumble my way through this computer/electronic stuff. This retrofit/get old machine up and running stuff isn't my forte but I fight through it because I don't have a big budget and I love the pain of learning something new.Supermax YCM-30 retrofit

That said, I do have a Toshiba T4600 that may have a serial port can't remember. If it doesn't then I can scrap together an old pc with a serial port to communicate with the Bandit. I will look up the DNC software to get idea of that process.

I see what you mean about code file size. I did a test HSM part and posted the code. Holy Crap! Didn't realize how much data is generated! When I programmed a Fanc Wire EDM 20 years ago I don't remember code being that big!Supermax YCM-30 retrofit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Mike. After I posted question I started looking up parallel to USB connectors. I'm not a super electronics geek from the old days- I know many of them though.Supermax YCM-30 retrofit I usually stumble my way through this computer/electronic stuff. This retrofit/get old machine up and running stuff isn't my forte but I fight through it because I don't have a big budget and I love the pain of learning something new.Supermax YCM-30 retrofit

That said, I do have a Toshiba T4600 that may have a serial port can't remember. If it doesn't then I can scrap together an old pc with a serial port to communicate with the Bandit. I will look up the DNC software to get idea of that process.

I see what you mean about code file size. I did a test HSM part and posted the code. Holy Crap! Didn't realize how much data is generated! When I programmed a Fanc Wire EDM 20 years ago I don't remember code being that big!Supermax YCM-30 retrofit

I'm really not either, I had to fight my way through all of this, which is why I'm taking the time to put a website together documenting it. ...and I purchased my YCM-30 for the same reason, I'm just tinkering in my garage, so I definitely didn't have the budget for something new. I've had a blast learning though. When I integrated the VFD to be controlled by the old AB 8400MP, I thought I was big sh!t - let me tell you! hahaha

...yeah, G code from a post is a bunch of lines, arcs, etc. The same G code written at the machine console will be a couple lines for pockets, hole patterns, etc. For that reason, you end up with a bunch more code, which isn't a big deal for modern machines. ...for the AB 8400MP though, you'll have to drip feed...and it works great!

Downloads
    Uploads

I know the feeling on the vfd. Wired up both my South Bend 10 k and the mill with ABBs. Had Engineer at work help me configure a self latching relay to operate reverse on the lathe. I love the vfd control for threading on the lathe!! The vfd on the mill is great but I don't usually play with the freq, just adjust the belt. It is good for reversing when tapping though.

I just looked up the specs for my Desktop. I have a Dell Precision 490 Workstation (as well as a Dell Precision M6300 laptop) I like the workstations over regular pcs. Specs call out 2 Serial ports and a parallel port. That computer has Win 7 as well as Inventor on it as well. The 490 might be able to talk to the Bandit. Hope the serial ports are supported by Win 7. If that's the case then I don't have to build another computer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know the feeling on the vfd. Wired up both my South Bend 10 k and the mill with ABBs. Had Engineer at work help me configure a self latching relay to operate reverse on the lathe. I love the vfd control for threading on the lathe!! The vfd on the mill is great but I don't usually play with the freq, just adjust the belt. It is good for reversing when tapping though.

I just looked up the specs for my Desktop. I have a Dell Precision 490 Workstation (as well as a Dell Precision M6300 laptop) I like the workstations over regular pcs. Specs call out 2 Serial ports and a parallel port. That computer has Win 7 as well as Inventor on it as well. The 490 might be able to talk to the Bandit. Hope the serial ports are supported by Win 7. If that's the case then I don't have to build another computer.

Win 7 does just fine with serial ports...that's what I'm running.

Millnut

I know this post is over 2 years old, but recently bought a YCM30 mill and I don't have any operator's manuals for it. I'm not sure what type of controller it has, only that it's DOS-based.

Do you have a copy of the operator's manual for the Supermax YCM-30 mill? If so, could you provide me a copy I'd be glad to pay you for your costs, etc. A .pdf is fine

I'm haven't figured how to send a private message, but should be able to receive one.

Thanks

Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the exact same SuperMax YCM-30 milling machine. I upgraded mine with Larken Viper Servo Drives, CNC4PC Break Out Board, and US Digital encoders. Slaved it to a windows XP computer with a parallel printer port, and run Mach3 on it. It has been running great for years.. I'm still considering what to do when I run out of windows XP computers. Leaning toward a Ethernet Smooth Stepper and running it off of a laptop computer. I have posted some notes on my retrofit here: CNC-Joe's WorkShop: CNC Projects - Annies Upgrade:

[url]www.CNC-Joe.com[/url]
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!