Build Thread Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion

I purchased my 2 axis Eagle mill (now a 4 axis) from a large local manufacture as surplus equipment. The mill is in excellent shape as it was only used in their prototype shop. It came with an Anilam M controller. It worked but had some issues, mainly a failing power supply, and was generally clunky. It has Baldor DC servos with 1525 drives.

About a year after purchase, it finally failed right in the middle of a production job.....So time for a controls upgrade. I have 20 some years experience in motion control and had already written the CNC operator interface, and control program for my CNC router so it was not much of a stretch to install the same system on the mill. I had a Galil DMC-1846 4 axis motion controller on the shelf along with the rest of the needed hardware so I was able to complete the upgrade in about a day and a half and be back up and running. I was in a hurry, the customer was waiting on the parts.

Galil 18x6 PCI bus motion controllers

I didn't get any ''before'' pictures of the control cabinet, but this picture is after the panel was gutted and the new interface boards installed. The drives and the rest of the hardware on the bottom and the right side is original equipment. The lower green breakout is the main connection, above that are 8 opto-relays, and above that is a 24 position Grayhill I/O rack for the auxiliary I/O if needed for later additions. The Galil card has up to 80 uncommitted I/O points in addition to travel and home limit inputs for each axis, and dual encoder inputs for each axis. Then it was just a matter of connecting the wiring to the proper terminals.

I decided to hang a desktop computer case in the panel just so I could have the mechanical support for the PCI boards. I could have done something different but that would have required actual thought and design.

The only problem was the desktop case was too big to fit in the cabinet

No problem, a little body work fixed that

Now it fits, I didn't need the drive bays anyway

While I was at it, I installed Renishaw 1um magnetic scales on the X, Y, and Knee axis, Z (quill) axis will come later
    See that build here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/knee-v...ml#post1977204

Yes, the mill needs cleaning Aluminum chips get all over everything.

Then all I needed to do was hang a keyboard and monitor on the machine. I went with a big monitor because my old eyes don't see as well as they used to.

Then a little motor tuning and debug and I was up and running again. I didn't even take the job off of the table while I did the upgrade.

Here is a screenshot of the operator interface as it is today with the 4th (Rotary) axis. The Z and R axis are red because they turned off in this picture. The quill can be operated manually or under computer control by flipping a lever. The machine can be operated as a manual machine, as a 2 axis, 3 axis or 4 axis with changeover done in seconds.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-1689851_10201377546183714_1084189255_n-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_0100-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-dmc-18x6_0-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_0109-jpg  

Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_0111-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_0113-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_0117-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_1300-jpg  

Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_1304-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_1304-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-newscreenmylar-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-screenshot2-jpg  

Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-anilamscreen-jpg  
    Last edited by Jim Dawson; 12-19-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion

And you're operating it with proprietary software. Incredible.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been making chips for about 50 years and have been doing industrial controls/programming since the mid 80s so it's pretty easy for me to do stuff like this. Probably not something you would find most hobbyists doing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Falls into the labor of love category.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, I have a Crusader M that I plan to do the same basic conversion to. Main question is, did you have to put on the Renishaw magnetic scales? Can I use the feedback from the glass scales, or does the Galil controller require the type of signal generated by the magnetic encoders? Also, just to be sure, you used your existing drives and servo motors, correct? Thanks. You are clearly an accomplished professional.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eharb View Post
    Jim, I have a Crusader M that I plan to do the same basic conversion to. Main question is, did you have to put on the Renishaw magnetic scales? Can I use the feedback from the glass scales, or does the Galil controller require the type of signal generated by the magnetic encoders? Also, just to be sure, you used your existing drives and servo motors, correct? Thanks. You are clearly an accomplished professional.
    Your glass scales may work, it depends on the output from them. Most of the new ones are differential quadrature, but some of the older ones were sin/cos output. The Galil wants to see a standard quadrature signal. If your scales are connected to the Crusader M, there is a good chance they are quadrature output and would work.

At the time I did the conversion there were a bunch of Renishaw mag read heads available on Ebay for cheap, but those are all gone. However Ditron MR200 read heads are an exact replacement, and I have purchased several of those and have had good luck with them. About $120/axis.

Yes, I am using the existing DC servos and drives.

Thank you for the compliment.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the quick response. The unit I have is an early 90s vintage, which to me wouldn't qualify as "new". I don't have an oscilloscope to check the signal. Any other suggestions to find out? I did notice even the Renishaw scales are not terribly expensive, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to just install those, or the Ditron you suggested. Do you have any pics of how your encoders are mounted on the quill? Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm pretty sure the Crusader M needs a quadrature input. If your scales are the encoders for that, then I have a high degree of confidence that the output is quadrature. Or use a voltmeter and check the output, if you get distinct 5V on and off from an output then it would be quadrature. A sin/cos would be a sine wave with a 1 volt P-P I think.

My machine started out life as a 2 axis, so my quill did not have a leadscrew on it.

Here is the replacement quill stop that I made.

And here is a picture of one I did that does have a lead screw.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_0239-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-img_0183-jpg   Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-z-magscale-jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great pictures. Thanks. Mine is 3 axis with the z on the quill, so it will probably be a bit different, although since it doesn't sound like I need the magnetic encoders, I can probably leave it alone.

I'm also intrigued by your "DC" program. What all does it do? Do you do all your programs directly in that, or do you use a conventional CAM software and output the programs to your "DC" software? I'm looking for something to basically replace what the Anilam could do. I could fairly easily program in simple to moderate routines directly on the machine, which I'd like to be able to continue to do. But of course if I'm putting on all this new stuff, I want to be able to do much more complex parts from more sophisticated CAD/CAM software. I use Inventor to design parts now for others to make, and by adding a CAM program, I want to be able to do it all myself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eharb View Post
    Great pictures. Thanks. Mine is 3 axis with the z on the quill, so it will probably be a bit different, although since it doesn't sound like I need the magnetic encoders, I can probably leave it alone.

I'm also intrigued by your "DC" program. What all does it do? Do you do all your programs directly in that, or do you use a conventional CAM software and output the programs to your "DC" software? I'm looking for something to basically replace what the Anilam could do. I could fairly easily program in simple to moderate routines directly on the machine, which I'd like to be able to continue to do. But of course if I'm putting on all this new stuff, I want to be able to do much more complex parts from more sophisticated CAD/CAM software. I use Inventor to design parts now for others to make, and by adding a CAM program, I want to be able to do it all myself.
    DC_CNC is pretty much a full featured CNC controller software. Easy to use and learn. It will handle full coordination motion on up to 8 axes, but currently is limited to 4 axes.

You can create and edit G code from within the program or use any CAD/CAM programs to generate G code. You can bring up the program editor or input from the MDI window. Also has a ''Teach'' function where you can automatically create G code by moving to position by jogging, typing in position commands or using a MPG, then click. Because of the way everything works, you can actually work on drawings or whatever while running a part in the background. I have AutoCAD, Fusion 360, and CamBam on my machines. No special post processor required, works with most common ones. It will handle millions of lines of G code with deep look ahead for smooth operation.

Supported Hardware:
    Currently running Routers and Milling Machines. Surface Grinders, and Lathes coming soon.
    Manual Pulse Generator (MPG)
    Touch Probe, Point cloud generator is coming soon.
    Spindle Camera/Microscope
    4th Axis
    Spindle Control
    Coolant Control
    Tool Changer
    Power Draw Bar
    Other custom features can be implemented.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So apparently you missed your calling as a traveling salesman. Sounds pretty good. So now for the big question... How much? If you don't want to share in public, feel free to send me a PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The real beauty of my software that it is absolutely FREE, at least for now. Your cost is only the Galil controller (available used from Ebay, or new from Galil), and any other hardware that is needed.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now I know why you aren't a salesman. HQ isn't big on gifts, except cheap pens. You've sold me. Doubtful we'll make it through the rest of the day without there being a Galil on order. Just realize you'll probably be getting more messages from me asking lots of stupid questions as I do my best to screw up my mill. Seriously, I will have questions to make sure I hook up the existing drives and scales correctly to the new controller. Have a good day.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you buy from Ebay, contact me before you order. There is a lot of really obsolete junk on there that will not work with my system. The ones you want are the 40x0, 18x0, 18x6, 21x0, or 22x0 units. Where x = number of axes. If you order from Galil, then the 18x6 or 40x0 units would be the best.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tried to post this earlier, but it didn't stick for some reason. Anyway, the only one that seems like a decent candidate on Ebay is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-used-GA...wAAOSwSrNaOasn

Thoughts? If not, I'll just order new. I'll always save money when I can, but I've seen more than my share of "pennywise and pound foolish" types of decisions, so I try to steer clear of too good to be true types of deals. Just curious what you think of 1000 hours. More than a few, but certainly a long way from how long this thing should last.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know what the MTBF is for Galil products, but the ones I installed about 15 years ago are still running. I know of two that have failed, one due to a lightning strike nearby which also destroyed a bunch of other system hardware, the other was an idiot connecting 240VAC to the 24VDC bus. Mine have 1000's of hours on them, I never shut my computers down.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The seller of the one on ebay has not responded to my question, so at this point I am more inclined to just order from Galil. Based on my reading of their website, it's only about $175 to have servo motor drives added to the controller. What are your thoughts on this? It seems awfully cheap to have new drives, but I don't know if there would be more tuning or other work to be done that might make it a pain. Any suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

$175 would buy you four 20 watt drives, not quite enough to run your servos. I think the drives you would need to run your servo motors would be the D3240, so $900, but still not a bad deal. I think you would also need the 160 volt option because I think your servo power supply is 100V, not sure if there is an additional charge for that. Nothing wrong with running the original DC drives.

As far as setup and tuning, I have found it very easy to tune the on-board servo drives.

Before you order anything, let's confirm exactly what motors and drives you currently have. Need to confirm PS voltage, and drive model. I'm guessing the drives are SD 1525 or 1220. I am running my machine on a 75V power supply, but I limit it to 100 IPM, it will run at 200 IPM, but I'm not in that big of a hurry.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, my motors are definitely too much for a 20w drive. They are rated as 140v 30amp max, 2400 RPM built by SEM. I need to go out and check the power supply voltage. I had it written down, but I can't seem to find it. I can't find either drive model number you are looking for. The only thing I could find is PN 34246-15, which is on the bottom of each of the 3 drives. I'll go out and take a look at the power supply and report back later.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anilam M to DC_CNC Conversion-erc-sulphur_1-01-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, those are WestAmp boards. Looks like the -15 in the part number is the continuous current (30 amps peak). The SEM motors are functionally equivalent to the Baldor motors that are on my machine.

Here is a link to a pdf manual for the drives. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/servo-...ml#post1639946

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast