Proto Trak MX3 LinuxCNC/Mach3 Conversion -Selecting interface boards/Connections

Thread: Proto Trak MX3 LinuxCNC/Mach3 Conversion -Selecting interface boards/Connections

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Proto Trak MX3 LinuxCNC/Mach3 Conversion -Selecting interface boards/Connections

I am starting to look seriously at converting my Proto Trak MX3 to linuxCNC. I am very familiar with Linux CNC but from the standpoint of using with Step/Direct Stepper systems. This machine is using servos with encoders. I am looking at using Mesa 7i77/5i25 Boards but am open to suggestions.

Unfortunately, I cannot find much information on the servo amplifiers. An older thread I found suggested the amplifier is using differential PWM.

In any case, I am comfortable using meters and Oscilloscopes but am not 100% sure where to start. I am linking to some pictures of the amplifier board, motor and encoder(well a jumbled shot of the encoder housing).

I am hopeful that somebody may have already done one of these SWI Proto Trak machines that can help out. If not I am at least hopeful that somebody can share some of the necessary logic for determining connections and appropriate hardware to look at for interfacing with Linux CNC/Mach 3.

Servo Amp Overview

Servo Amp Connector Closeup

It appears as though the connector on the amplifier has
    110 AC Input
    5V Input
    PWM
    NPWM?

And several other pins that I cannot read the labels on because the connector covers the silkscreen.

Motor Encoder Housing

It looks as though I will need to take the time to unplug some wires from the encoder in order to better understand what is going on.

Motor NamePlate

I look forward to any input on the path of least resistance to getting this machine up on Linux CNC78617875

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Proto Trak MX3 LinuxCNC/Mach3 Conversion -Selecting interface boards/Connections

I have researched what is going on at the servo amp a little more thoroughly and labeled the connections on the servo amp (See updated Image in original post and image below) (oops just noticed my typo on Neutral) with my best terminology to describe what I am observing at each pin.

Interestingly, the input to the servo amp appears to not be +/-10v rather it appears to be controlled by 4 channels of PWM signal. This is definitely different from the encoder signal which I have identified as well and will document further shortly.

If anyone is familiar with 4 PWM lines as input to the servo amp, I will be interested to learn more about this method as well as what hardware could be employed to control these sevos with Linux CNC.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proto Trak MX3 LinuxCNC/Mach3 Conversion -Selecting interface boards/Connections-servoamp2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Proto Trak MX3 LinuxCNC/Mach3 Conversion -Selecting interface boards/Connections

Did you get anywhere with your conversion?

I've just acquired a prototrak edge (2D) machine and have been thinking along similar line as you :-)

BTW have you figured out the pinouts for the back panel connectors? (it would save me some work)

Bill