Finished converting Grizzly G3102

Thread: Finished converting Grizzly G3102

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Finished converting Grizzly G3102

I finally finished converting my grizzly G3102 vertical mill this last weekend. It took me about 1 week to design and build the conversion once I had all the parts. This is my first milling machine and I have never touched a mill before, so this is all new to me. I manually milled all of the mounting brackets from aluminum plate that was precut to the approximate dimensions. I am using 2 640oz steppers and 1 1200oz stepper powered with 3 gecko 202's controlled with mach3. All I have to do now is to get some wire covers. So far everything works great and I have engraved my company logo onto some scrap metal to practice with feeds and speeds, but I am hooked now and cant wait to mill more complex parts.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finished converting Grizzly G3102-mill1-jpg   Finished converting Grizzly G3102-mill2-jpg   Finished converting Grizzly G3102-mill3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

awsome Vinny, very nice job. How is the fit and finish of that grizz model mill?

www.cncfusion.com CNC kits for Sieg mills and lathes

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Nice Mill

Very nice!! It looks strong and clean. I like the Z Axis arrangememt on the Knee.

Good Luck with it.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The fit and finish is pretty good and probably as good as it is going to get with a $2000 mill. I have never owned or used a mill before so I really have nothing to compare it to in terms of quality. To give you an idea the backlash I have is .002 on the X and Y and about .005 on the Z but the backlash compensation in mach 3 fixes that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi

bigvinney very nice job indeed , i see you running mach3 .

what motherboard are you using to control the gecko stepper motor drivers ?

where did you purchase the stepper motors from ? power supplies ? and so on

I'm about to start a Pacific U2 universal mill conversion also

cheers

PS ; HAve lots of fun with the mill and good job u have done

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just bought a $350 dell special for the computer. It is running a celeron processor but I have no idea what motherboard is in it. I got the steppers, drivers from www.homeshopcnc.com. He also got me hooked up with all of the supplies needed to make the power supply but I cant remeber where the parts actually came from. The 5v powersupply and breakout board is from www.cnc4pc.com. I would personally recommend both of these shops to anyone, they are both willing to give lots of help with any problems that you may have.

Hope this helps, Vince

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

here is the first part I have ever cnc machined. This is the logo for the company I just started. It was done on some 6061 aluminum scrap.

I have not deburred or done anything to it, this is how it came off the table when I was done. I dont have coolant yet so I was spraying wd40 overit when I was milling it out to clear the chips off the part. I used a 3/16 carbide engraving tool. The depth is .010 and the feed was at 20ipm. Also the motor was set to 2860 rpm.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finished converting Grizzly G3102-img_0728-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that looks excellent! Good job. DId you use ballscrew for the axes, or just keep the original?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No I kept the stock leadscrews. I dont have enough money to convert the whole thing to ballscrews yet, but maybe later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Vinney - I found this thread through a quick search and wondered how the mill is holding up now days. I keep thinking I want a small mill, but for a few hundred more bucks I can get something that I hopefully won't outgrow.

How is the accuracy holding up? I'd probably switch to a ballscrew conversion pretty quickly no matter what though....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Update

I'm very interested in this setup - how is the mill holding up, mainly the stock leadscrews? I know this thread is an old one, but i'd like to get an update on how this machine functioned after you started using it for your business.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Finished converting Grizzly G3102

Hey Vinny, I just bought one of these and I know this post was originally posted 10 years ago. Are there any better/cheaper sources for the components or are there any problems you ran into since you set this up? or things you wished you'd done different? etc? Or any tips?