Build Thread King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion - Page 9

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

To get both Speed and motion control operational, I have upgraded my laptop to a larger machine with Windows 7, a SSD Hard drive, more USB ports and larger screen.

It needed a new larger mounting on the pendant.

The VFD has been mounted on the rear of the Power Control enclosure so that minimal new internal wiring was required.

The LED display on The VFD is not visible from the front of the Mill but all functions will be displayed on the Mach3 screen in future. Only Motor speed is shown now.

Control of the VFD is via the RS-485 serial communication port that is set up to override the keypad inputs.

Power for the VFD is switched ON and OFF using the manual spindle switch on the pendant and will be cut if the E-Stop button is pressed.

The spindle motor should not be stopped by cutting the power to the VFD unless there is a problem.

The motor is normally started, stopped, reversed and speed controlled by commands sent to the VFD from Mach3 with the Plugin via the USB to RS-485 adaptor and the serial connection.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-laptop-mount-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-vfd-mounted-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-vfd-connection-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-vdf-power-motor-wiring-gland-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-vfd-power-input-motor-output-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-vfd-rear-view-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Sometimes an excursion to a farmers market as part of a "happy wife happy life" philosophy pays dividends in the workshop as well.

Found a stall selling picks and shovels and rusty shifting spanners, with a couple of gems.

The parallels are 1.25''x1.5''x8" with 0.5" and 0.375" holes, maybe homemade but matched well as a pair.

The dial indicator is working well with a recent calibration report. I'm sure it is better than the $20 Chinese clone I purchased last year.

I can work with the imperial system when correcting a wobble in a shaft. Half a thou is still larger than 0.01mm

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5806-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5809-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5808-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice one! I have the same finger dial as that. Very nice dial.
    Well done,
    Chich

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I have some old machine tools from my Dad's collection, some are also homemade but quite serviceable.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-machine-tools-jpg  
    Last edited by BMSTECH; 07-09-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Practice makes perfect. Sometime a cheap 3D printer is all one needs to make a simple plastic part. I chose the most difficult method but had some fun along the way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Inspired by Mike CSX66, I have had a go at designing a ring light. My Halo light is fixed to the head so it doesn't travel with the Quill.

It is mounted on the timing belt cover of my Z axis and is modelled in Fusion 360. An opportunity to try machining a 3D curved surface. Puts my CNC conversion though its paces. All good

Still need to wire up and get 12V dc supplied. Have used 33x tricolour LED 120mm Halo array. Not sure I need multi colours. Any bright ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats brilliant!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Halo Light assembled, wired and operational.
    Can't think of a way to use the colours.
    The tip of the tool is well laminated with the Quill fully extended.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5911-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5913-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5914-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5916-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5918-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5922-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5925-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5927-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5928-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5929-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_5919-jpg  

BMSTECH-- I want one of these light thingys' when I grow up.

Great work on the Z-axis!!

I like all the work you've put into the machine. I never heard of KING RICH, but she really has nice bones.

Thank you very much for stopping by my thread.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...neering-2.html

BillT

Last edited by WilliamT4450; 08-26-2016 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added thread address

Downloads
    Uploads

I attended the National Manufacturing Week Expo at "Jeff''s Shed" in Melbourne last Wednesday and had a great day wandering around all the stands and seeing some amazing equipment.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-20170515_192540-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-20170515_192641-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi There..I looking forward to buying a new Milling Machine. I want one that can be retrofitted with a cnc controller.

I saw Kingrich machines that can are ready to be retrofitted but i am also looking at FIRST milling machines. Can the FIRST machines be retrofitted? If so with what controllers?

How goood are these machines?? Any comments on them?

PS- I am new to this and I have no clue on how to go about. any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi There..I looking forward to buying a new Milling Machine. I want one that can be retrofitted with a cnc controller.

I saw Kingrich machines that can are ready to be retrofitted but i am also looking at FIRST milling machines. Can the FIRST machines be retrofitted? If so with what controllers?

How goood are these machines?? Any comments on them?

PS- I am new to this and I have no clue on how to go about. any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome Rocket9,

I shall try googling "First milling machines" and see what they are like.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Rocket9,

The "First" milling machines look quite good and maybe similar to the King Rich mills also Taiwan made. If I had the money and knew what I do now about CNC mills, I would consider buying a CNC machine centre. Hare and Forbes have a Opti CNC Mill F80TC in a specials catalogue that I picked up at manufacturing week in Jeff's Shed a few weeks ago. It is $35990 ex gst. and included $1500 free tooling. With that you get 9000 RPM high speed spindle, 10 station Auto tool changer, everything you need if you are clueless and cashed up. It is still a toy, typically sold to High schools as they had to chuck out all their manual mills for OH&S concerns. We are entering the age of "High tech manufacturing" and high school students get to watch a milling process trough a window. Swat up on Fusion 360 and go along for the ride. It is a relatively small mill in a box with all the things that make it CNC. Got room in your shed?

Cheers,
    John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-opti-f80tc-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Check out this guys new machine in Melbourne. Small CNC mill in a box with some good fruit for the money.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello to All,

Does anyone have plans for a Bridgeport style Knee Mill Quill conversion ?

Follow the link below and read all the information carefully. Ray did a good job documenting his Quill conversion and has posted his documentation here. If you need more information on the BP quill conversion send me a pm cause, this is a thread for the King Rich.
    best always,
    BillT

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...ive_plans.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been asked by Robert and others about my Z axis Quill design and figured that my responses maybe of interest to other subscribers or casual followers. As the conversations have been via private messaging, I will edit the personal stuff before posting here. It may reduce the time I need to answer the same questions and add interesting additional info to this thread to keep it relevant. So here is my first introduction to Robert.

Hi Robert,

Welcome, my mill is a Bridgeport clone which is a good copy as far as I can tell from other posts.

If yours is quite similar then my design may well be suitable to be adapted to your mill.

Can you follow my thread from post #104 and then ask me specific questions referring to the post number so I can answer with more detail or alternate photos or sketches.

You will see that my design evolved over the build phase and that initial sketches were altered. Some initial 3D models were drawn in Google Sketchup and later Fusion 360.

My design required a small powerful servo to mount close to the quill and drive via a small timing belt and notched pulley reduction.

Rather than spend too much time rambling on now, better for me to answer your queries as I maybe going into detail that you have already a good understanding of.

I am in Adelaide South Australia and assume you are not too far away?

A few photos of your machine would be helpful and I recommend starting your own build thread to keep track of your own project as well as get feedback from others.

Link here to Post #104 , notice that this is Post #178 in top right corner

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/knee-v...ml#post1739690

You may need to be a member to see all the pictures. Well worth the time to sign up if you have not already.

Enough for now, looking forward to a stimulating conversation and sharing our skill sets.

Cheers,

John Reid

Downloads
    Uploads

John

Thanks for the introduction

Hello Everyone

I am converting a JET Knee Mill, I converted the knee but found it to slow for drilling and tapping.

My current question:

1. I have a 371oz in stepper motor and I plan to use 12 tooth pulley on the motor and 24 on the 5MM pitch ball screw, will I have enough torque to operate a good speed?

What is the calculation I should use?

Downloads
    Uploads

Robert,

That seems like plenty of torque and speed of quill will be fine.

Notice in my videos that rapid movement of the quill over the full 100+ mm does not require high motor RPM.

20 turns of the ball screw moves the quill 100mm

Move the quill full travel in 2 seconds requires 40 revolutions of the motor

40 Revs in 2 Seconds = 1200 RPM easy.

That's about 4 inches in 2 seconds or 120 IPM for you Yanks.

John

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast